Custom sleeves or Custom IEMs
Sep 13, 2012 at 8:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

wming18

New Head-Fier
Hi, I just wanted someones opinion on this.
I already own a pair Shure SE425 and I am planning on getting a pair of custom sleeves for them. I am just wondering is it a better idea to get a pair custom fit IEMs or just to stick with the 425s and get custom sleeves.
I am pretty happy with the sound quality of the Shures already, I am only find a problem with a good seal on my ears with the sleeves that are provided.
Also I don't live in the US so it is very difficult for me to get custom fit things because I have to get the ear impressions done here and then send them to the US and then I have to wait for them to send it back here.
Thanks

Sep 16, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #3 of 7
Hi thanks for the recommendation. I am actually looking at this as an upgrade. I have already tried all the sleeves and the triple flange sleeves fit best but the tips are starting to break down.

Sep 16, 2012 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:
Hi thanks for the recommendation. I am actually looking at this as an upgrade. I have already tried all the sleeves and the triple flange sleeves fit best but the tips are starting to break down.

Understood. Just keep in mind that customs whether tips or IEMs are not an end all.

If they are done right, they will still need updating based on your ear canal changes.

Jim

Sep 16, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #6 of 7
If you have a lot of money and don't care to spend it, just get a new custom.Second option is to reshell it. I think UM does reshell for SE425. If you think customs and universal reshells are too expensive then get the custom tips. But I'd try and see if Comply tips fit me before going custom.

Sep 16, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #7 of 7
I got custom sleeves for my UM3x and they've been a brilliant investment. Better isolation and comfort than any other sleeves I've tried, and the tight seal creates better bass impact and depth. 

Your ears will change shape over time but I've had my sleeves for several years and they're still a snug fit. I originally got them for my old UM2, could still use them when I upgraded to the UM3x and then upgraded again to the UM3x with replaceable cable. In other words, I think custom sleeves are a better idea than getting re-moulds as I was able to continue using them when I upgraded my earphones (though that'll only work if the upgraded earphones are the same shape as the original pair).

I used to like Comply foam tips but I had to replace them fairly regularly and, in my opinion, they are overpriced. Getting custom sleeves cost me £90 but that's less than I would have spent on Comply tips over the same period of time so they've been cost effective as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back