Custom re-fits; how does it work?
Oct 31, 2006 at 9:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Scotty757

500+ Head-Fier
I just got my ES2s yesterday, and I dont think they fit right. After an hour or so in, my external ear aches quite a bit. Also, I dont think im getting a good seal.

Anyone ever had their customs re-fitted, and if so, whats the process? Do I have to go get new molds made?

Oct 31, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #2 of 10
Well with UE you just send the IEm's back and they try to adjust them without remolds. I would defently contact Westone and see what they suggest. It probably will be just shaving off some plastic.

Nov 1, 2006 at 1:23 AM Post #3 of 10
That was my experience with UE. I just wrote them a very detailed account of what I felt was wrong and after two refits they felt about right. I think it is especially hard if these are your first custom IEM's because you don't neccesarily have a frame of reference as to what is a good fit and what's not.

Nov 1, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 10
My advice:
1) Take some time and play with them. Figure out the different ways to insert and remove them, etc. May sound like simple advice, but there is definitely a trick to getting them in and seated correctly.

2) If the irritation does continue, see if you can figure out exactly where it is on the IEM. What I have found is that if you concentrate on it, you can identify the 'hot spots' where the comfort issue resides.

3) Write up as detailed a description as you can about the fit issues you are experiencing. What I used to do is write up a very detailed description and then use a sharpie to mark the areas that were causing me issues. This is very helpful as they can see exactly where you are having issues on the IEM itself.

4) Call Westone and talk to Dale Douglass about it. He will know pretty quickly if you need a remold or not...just depends on the fit issue, etc.

Nov 1, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #5 of 10
One other thought...it can take time for the ears to get used to custom IEMS. I know with a couple I had, I had them made so big I thought my ears would never adjust. They did.

Nov 1, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 10
a question regarding comfort, if i may.

i have had my ES2 for nearly 2 months now. when i first received these, i thought i had internal fit issues as they sounded nothing like what i had imagined them to be. the obvious tell tale sign was the missing bass, which characterises a poor seal. so after a lot of twisting and repositioning of the ES2 in my ears, i was finally able to get the earpieces to lock properly into the seat of the outer ear and i was convinced i am now hearing what the ES2 was supposed to sound like.

however, there was still a problem. the seat of the outer ear where the top of the earpiece is locked into, becomes very sore and painful (even to touch after) after about 30 mins of usage. i thought that was something that would take some getting used to and would eventually go away, esp since when i emailed Westone about it they didn't respond to my query. but 2 months on, i'm still experiencing the same soreness, except that i could probably last over an hour now, before the soreness becomes unbearable and i have to remove the ES2.

seeing how these boards have always praised customs for their supreme comfort, i'm concerned if this is a fit issue, albeit it has nothing to do with the internal ear. any advice from you customs old-timers will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

Nov 2, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #8 of 10
When mine first came back the right one wasn't right, the seal wasn't tight enough. I called the audiologist, got an appointment right away. She made a new mold, two actually to get it just right, and sent the mold with the right phone back to Westone. 10 days later the new phone came back to the audiolgist and it worked perfectly.

A small bit of nuisance, but well worth it. I wouldn't be happy with someone trying to re-work a custom IEM based on my written description, I'd start over from scratch. I'm of the belief that this is Westone's policy. Get it done right, there is NO additional charge.

Jan 10, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
When mine first came back the right one wasn't right, the seal wasn't tight enough. I called the audiologist, got an appointment right away. She made a new mold, two actually to get it just right, and sent the mold with the right phone back to Westone. 10 days later the new phone came back to the audiolgist and it worked perfectly.

A small bit of nuisance, but well worth it. I wouldn't be happy with someone trying to re-work a custom IEM based on my written description, I'd start over from scratch. I'm of the belief that this is Westone's policy. Get it done right, there is NO additional charge.

I'm reviving this thread. When you called the audiologist, did you need to show him your custom IEM's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back