Custom moulds for IEMs
Jun 4, 2005 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

drssyoon

100+ Head-Fier
So, I just received a pair of custom moulds for my Westone UM2s. Although I was happy with the sound and the comfort of comply tips, I was looking for something better - as we all do. I went to a local audiologist and after an ear-enlightening experience (see one of my posts previously on ear wax musings), moulds were made, sent to Westone and after about a week, got them back today. After listening with them today, one word - WOW.

They are a bit more fussy to put in, although my guess is that this will get easier with practice. Once in, they form an incredible seal - much more than any other tips of all my previous IEMs - E2, E3, E5, Ety 4.

The sound is quite something else. I cannot describe it as eloquently as many of those who post here regularly, but there certainly is a huge improvement in the quality sound of what I already consider to be a pair of excellent IEMs.

The reason I am posting this message is this - UM2s have the same bore size as the E5s, meaning they are pretty much common across several different IEMs. For those of you who want a marked improvement in the sound of your IEMs, you might want to consider getting these made for your ears. The cost is not too cheap - $100 - but I think they are worth it. I use a 4G ipod with Latin EQ. VBR using EAC.

Jun 4, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 16
Jun 4, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
Shure E5c - The Complete Guide: Fittings & Custom Molds, Review, Comparisons

That's very cool drysson. What do you think changed? The bass, treble?

Funny, I was just reading my e2c manual today, and on the chart, it listed only e3c as the one that you can get custom moulds with. Weird.

EDIT: Aha, I guess it meant that /Shure/ doesn't do custom moulds for the e5c. Which is still weird since it's their flagshop IEM :/

Jun 4, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #5 of 16
According to the comparison chart on the Westone website, it says that the Standard UM56 custom mold will also fit the Shure E3 and E5 series. I take it that this also means that the new Shure E4 is also compatible with these custom molds?

Are the custom earmolds actually separate pieces that are removable from the actual monitors, just like any other interchangeable tip? If so, it would be awesome if I could switch the earmolds between my UM2's and E4c's.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts and experiences!

Jun 4, 2005 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 16
u can get custom molds for all iem's. not hugely intercompatible though. best idea to consult your audiologist they will likely have the best lead.

Jun 4, 2005 at 9:56 AM Post #8 of 16
What I understand is that there are many IEMs that can use same ear tips:
UM2 and E5; UM2 and E3 (according to Westone), and since many people have used Ety 4 tips with E5s, problabaly UM2 and E5s as well. As for E4s, if they use the same tips as E5s, then they also should be compatible with UM2s.

Since Shure does not seem to be selling custom moulds, I thought that getting them made via Westone, and attaching them to your E3,4,5s or Ety 4 might work.

By the way, the custom moulds are very small and discrete. Thye are longer and are inserted much further down your ear canal. The material is somekind of hard silicone, but with some placiticity. Mine were frost/clear in color, but I don't know if other colors are available. The UM2s shafts plug into these and then you have to rotate them to make sure that they are properly oriented. Once they are inserted into your ears properly, you will know becuase of the incredible silence you hear. Once properly inserted, externally you can barely tell that you are wearing something. I think it appears more flush against your ears. I imagine this would make sleeping also more comfortable. They come in a kind of funky vinyl with metal opening - like a coin purse - that you have to squeeze to open.

Can someone compile a eartip compatibility chart? I know that there is an underground of cross-eartippers out there!

Jun 4, 2005 at 10:38 AM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by drssyoon

Since Shure does not seem to be selling custom moulds, I thought that getting them made via Westone, and attaching them to your E3,4,5s or Ety 4 might work.

I believe Shure has a relationship with Sensaphonics for custom molds, at least in the United States.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jun 4, 2005 at 5:03 PM Post #10 of 16
I just bought triflanges for my um2's,but after reading your impressions I'm thinking of buying custom molds since my left ear-cannal is thinner then my right one.

Jun 4, 2005 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 16
Double post.
eek.gif

Jun 5, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #15 of 16
I have tried triflanges, but with my Ety 4P and E5s a while ago so I cannot compare the sound quality. The custom moulds are definitely better than the comply tips (yellow ones) and black Ety foamies. I think it is a matter of getting a better seal with the customs. Also, I recall triflanges being uncomfortable.

I realize that laying out $100 for something that may not prove to be better is risky, but it was worth it for me. I will be giving them an extended listening during my next overseas trip (15 hour flight time!).

By the way, my local audiologist initially quoted me $65 per ear. When I told her that the Westone website advertised at $100 for both, she told me that she could match the price. No shipping charge, but the tax was added. Add $16 for ear wax removal...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tayano
~100$ + shipping on westones homepage.

Drssyon,Have you tried the triflanges,if so,how does the sound of the triflanges compare to the custom molds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back