Custom molds + Waxy ears: Better than foamies?
Aug 23, 2012 at 3:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

worminater

100+ Head-Fier
After having 2 blockages in 6 months (Fairly horrible as I'm sure a few of you know) I stopped using my e4c (Gave to my wife; who doesn't like them.. :frowning2: )

I've been thinking about getting a pair of custom molds for years now (comfort being the key factor), and was curious if anyone with waxy ears has any experience with them?

I don't like the idea of cleaning my ears out on a weekly basis as i've been told that was unhealthy; but I would think there would would be shallower penetration on a pair of JH10s compared to my Shure foamies.

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #2 of 5
*bump* no one with Customs here that can comment on ear wax buldup in comparison to standard IEMs?

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
After having 2 blockages in 6 months (Fairly horrible as I'm sure a few of you know) I stopped using my e4c (Gave to my wife; who doesn't like them.. :frowning2: )

I've been thinking about getting a pair of custom molds for years now (comfort being the key factor), and was curious if anyone with waxy ears has any experience with them?

I don't like the idea of cleaning my ears out on a weekly basis as i've been told that was unhealthy; but I would think there would would be shallower penetration on a pair of JH10s compared to my Shure foamies.

I don't get it exactly what you mean - I for example clean my ears at least once a day (usually twice ) with spiritus aethylicus soaked cotton ear buds and would that be considered unhealthy? 

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:58 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
I don't get it exactly what you mean - I for example clean my ears at least once a day (usually twice ) with spiritus aethylicus soaked cotton ear buds and would that be considered unhealthy? 

The skin on the outer part of the ear canal has special glands that produce ear wax, also known as cerumen. The purpose of this natural wax is to protect the ear from damage and infections. 

Earwax blockage affects about 6% of people , the most common cause of this is the use of Q-tips in the ear canal (and other objects such as bobby pins and rolled napkin corners), which pushes the wax deeper into the ear canal.
Hearing aid and earplug users are also more prone to earwax blockage.

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

The skin on the outer part of the ear canal has special glands that produce ear wax, also known as cerumen. The purpose of this natural wax is to protect the ear from damage and infections. 

Earwax blockage affects about 6% of people , the most common cause of this is the use of Q-tips in the ear canal (and other objects such as bobby pins and rolled napkin corners), which pushes the wax deeper into the ear canal.
Hearing aid and earplug users are also more prone to earwax blockage.

^^ yep.  I'm curious if molds (hearing aids, custom iems) are *as* bad as earplugs (foamies) as far as shoving ear wax back.  Heavy investment with it as an open question.  I could just call audiologist who would do the molds and ask i suppose... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back