Custom molds - venting?
Mar 26, 2007 at 8:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

cindyk

Head-Fier
Hi, my audiologist is about to make me custom molds for my Super.fi 5 pro in a few days. Here's the deal, he says there will be little to no highs and that ear drums won't like the pressure if he won't make venting. I haven't noticed on any of your UE or Sensaphonics customs any sort of venting, that's why I'm asking. Should I listen to him or go without venting? I'm assuming isolation will suffer from this. Thanks in advance.

Mar 26, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #3 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No "venting"!
If you have "venting", or open ports to let the ears have air-pressure released, you will loose the bass.
Also you will have ambient sounds from your surroundings enter into your ears, meaning less isolation.
Check the Ultimate Ears site, they have some models with this feature, "ambient" models, for use if the user needs also to be able to listen to the audience.

"Venting" is not the right word for it?
smily_headphones1.gif
Anyway, thanks for your answer. Any idea how it has any effect on the highs?

Mar 26, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 25
Your best bet would be to approach UE about it. Ambient models are aimed at artists and performers who need variable isolation.

Mar 26, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will affect the bass, giving you less bass.
So the treble will be exagerated, and I don't think the sound is really good if you want to listen to music.
The ambient models are maybe best described as tools, for artists who need personal monitoring and also want to communicate/interact with their audience during a show.
Not for personal monitoring/listening to music.

Ok, fine. I'm going to contact the audiologist today
wink.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cindyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, my audiologist is about to make me custom molds for my Super.fi 5 pro in a few days. Here's the deal, he says there will be little to no highs and that ear drums won't like the pressure if he won't make venting. I haven't noticed on any of your UE or Sensaphonics customs any sort of venting, that's why I'm asking. Should I listen to him or go without venting? I'm assuming isolation will suffer from this. Thanks in advance.

Your audilogist simply does not know what he/she is talking about. If this were the case, no IEM would have little to no highs as even the universal's all seal with no venting. If you have put in a pair of Shures, Westones, UE, etc and got a good seal, you will know that there are highs and that your ear drums are fine with the fit.

Bottom line is that IEM's are really a great unknown to most audiologist. I called 4 places in the Sonus network (this is the chain that UE uses) and not one of them even had a clue as to what an IEM is, why one would want one, etc. I had to just take the info sheet from UE (tells them exactly what to do) and just get the molds made. They were still clueless.

Mar 26, 2007 at 2:11 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Indygreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your audilogist simply does not know what he/she is talking about. If this were the case, no IEM would have little to no highs as even the universal's all seal with no venting. If you have put in a pair of Shures, Westones, UE, etc and got a good seal, you will know that there are highs and that your ear drums are fine with the fit.

Bottom line is that IEM's are really a great unknown to most audiologist. I called 4 places in the Sonus network (this is the chain that UE uses) and not one of them even had a clue as to what an IEM is, why one would want one, etc. I had to just take the info sheet from UE (tells them exactly what to do) and just get the molds made. They were still clueless.

I guess you're right. Although it's still weird he says that seeing how he has experience with hearing aids. I live in middle of nowhere, ehm Europe, never seen anyone with an IEM except for artists. I hope it works out great, I should have them done by Friday...although he didnt take it out of the plastic casing and my ear molds are rather small, I just hope nothing will be sticking out, except for maybe the cable port(or however you call it). Good thing is it'll be extremely cheap, so why not give it a try. I am planning to get UE5 or UE10 some day but at this time it just seems too much money for an university student like me.

Mar 26, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by cindyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi, who are you getting to actually make the molds for your super.fi 5 Pros? Are you just getting custom tips (i.e. something like this: http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/cusfitearmol1.html)? Or are you doing something entirely different?

-Clay

Mar 26, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by YoungClayB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, who are you getting to actually make the molds for your super.fi 5 Pros? Are you just getting custom tips (i.e. something like this: http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/cusfitearmol1.html)? Or are you doing something entirely different?

-Clay

It's not just the tip, the whole IEM will be inside the ear mold, similar to custom UE IEMs like UE10 and UE5.
And as I said, it's the audiologist that makes the molds for me, he also makes hearing aids. And it certainly won't cost me $115, $30 for both ear molds in fact
tongue.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #11 of 25
Ok, now I am thinking your person really does not know what they heck they are doing.

Putting the entire SF.5 into a custom mold? Do you have any idea of how large that will be? You want tips that go on the end like sleeves, not like putting the entire thing in a jello mold.

So, they are going to encase your entire IEM in a custom mold, get the angle of it all correct (this is important for sound and comfort, especially with that large of a setup, and do it all for $30 (less then most charge for just impressions)? I would pass. Sounds like a $30 way to ruin your IEM's

Mar 26, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #12 of 25
cindyk -one suggestion. There is lots of info in threads here by people who have had molds done and many comments about them being done closed mouth and the results, open mouthed, and other slight variations - I would be profitable for you do do a forum search to find those posts, before you go for your appointment. Many times molds have to be re-done. So, go with as much knowledge as possible and don't hesitate to speak up while you're there.

Mar 26, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Indygreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, now I am thinking your person really does not know what they heck they are doing.

Putting the entire SF.5 into a custom mold? Do you have any idea of how large that will be? You want tips that go on the end like sleeves, not like putting the entire thing in a jello mold.

So, they are going to encase your entire IEM in a custom mold, get the angle of it all correct (this is important for sound and comfort, especially with that large of a setup, and do it all for $30 (less then most charge for just impressions)? I would pass. Sounds like a $30 way to ruin your IEM's

I have just received an email that he would rather take the parts out of the casing and make it similar to UE5c, he is awaiting my agreement. I just hope he wont mess them up somehow.

Mar 26, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #14 of 25
Where are you located? I'd be willing to buy cheap pair of IEMs just for him to try his project out, and if it works out well, then give him the super-fi's. $30 is not much and you can experiement first with cheaper phones than your best pair.

Mar 26, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cindyk -one suggestion. There is lots of info in threads here by people who have had molds done and many comments about them being done closed mouth and the results, open mouthed, and other slight variations - I would be profitable for you do do a forum search to find those posts, before you go for your appointment. Many times molds have to be re-done. So, go with as much knowledge as possible and don't hesitate to speak up while you're there.

Thanks but I already made the appointment, my mouth was open...in fact I was talking to the audiologist during the whole process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back