Custom in ears, does more drivers mean better sound quality???
Apr 10, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:
How would they cancel vibration - and of what? More drivers = more moving surface area = more vibration. At least, that's how it is in the big rig world.

I've seen a few owners of 6 to 8 driver IEM's say that it "Lowers distortion". I've got a few pairs of 3-way IEMs, I don't really notice any - am I hearing incorrectly? I only really use them at probably a third of the possible volume output they are capable of, so I don't think they are struggling to keep up..

Anyway, I'm definitely curious, as I've sent my UM3X away to be remoulded, and I'm wondering if I should start looking into some of the 8 driver, 4-way customs. But at this stage, the logic part of my brain (which desperately needs sleep) is currently asking me "why?"

If you don't understand what siamesed drivers means just ask instead of argue. When 2 identical drivers share an outlet they are assembled 180* mechanically from one another so any vibrational energy created by the moving parts is completely cancelled. Equal and opposite. When it's doubled with the 2 drivers either not being identical or having different responses it's moot. Vibration can modulate the sound.

I did say the distortion and dynamics can be argued but it's known that lower excursion does improve these aspects. Coils get less saturated and dampers/hinges more linear. How much, whether relevant to use and if the most important factor in a design become the arguments but those are absolutes. We've all said that the overall design is more important than driver count. It doesn't mean that there can't be benefit.

Apr 10, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:
IMO more drivers mean better frequency response, more soundstage, more bass, better imaging and higher resolution sound quality.

Yes, definitely acknowledge that people report this (I won't sit here and go on about how "resolution" and "sound quality" are very subjective qualities)

My question is: How, and why? (Especially the soundstage remark..)

I did say the distortion and dynamics can be argued but it's known that lower excursion does improve these aspects.

Lower excursion isn't always a good thing.

just ask instead of argue.

Is definitely what I was doing, I'm sorry you saw it as arguing, and because you did, I am now bowing out and unsubscribing - the last thing I want, is a flame war or argument.

Serves me right for asking for further information on a topic, I'll just do my own research. 

Thank you for explaining it to me. The "Siamese drivers" explanation made me rub my chin and wonder "Why is this not a problem on Westones offerings?"

Apr 13, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:
Yes, definitely acknowledge that people report this (I won't sit here and go on about how "resolution" and "sound quality" are very subjective qualities)

My question is: How, and why? (Especially the soundstage remark..)

Lower excursion isn't always a good thing.

Is definitely what I was doing, I'm sorry you saw it as arguing, and because you did, I am now bowing out and unsubscribing - the last thing I want, is a flame war or argument.

Serves me right for asking for further information on a topic, I'll just do my own research. 

Thank you for explaining it to me. The "Siamese drivers" explanation made me rub my chin and wonder "Why is this not a problem on Westones offerings?"

When you answer your own question with an argument, it's no longer just a question.

Lower excursion is better here. Small diaphragm with limited output. 

I certainly never called anything that's not siamesed a problem but when we're discussing bone conduction or vibration in general, there will obviously be an effect. No one said it was the only or most important aspect of a design or create a 'problem'. Indignation, putting words in my mouth or chin rubbing innuendo doesn't advance anything.

Apr 16, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodvibes /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Indignation, putting words in my mouth or chin rubbing innuendo doesn't advance anything.

I just saw this - I never accused you of saying it is a "Problem". My point was, if it works so well for JH offerings, could it also work for Westone?

As for the rest of your accusations - It saddens me greatly that you have become so defensive, I would have loved to discuss this further with someone who is clearly knowledgeable on the topic. 

Time goes on, as does my research - clearly the place for discussion of it is not here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back