custom in ear monitor for kids?
May 20, 2012 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

LemanRuss9

100+ Head-Fier
hello head fi
well i have a problem here actually.My nephew wanted and in ear monitor.but he is only 15 years.
and i said to him that "ur still growing.If you get your ear molded now,It might get loose since yur ear is growing and became bigger."
but still he insisted.He collected money by doing summer jobs with his friends for 5 summer vacation.well i gotta be honest.He really is a persistent boy .Any one can help me? will our ear be bigger ? im not an audiologist so i cant really be sure about this

thanks!
leman

May 20, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 9
Yes, kids are stubborn. Like most, he'll learn the hard way assuming he'll go through the typical frustrations involving time and costs for any CIEM.  What exactly is his reason (friends have it; i'm a musician, so I got to have it; my favorite artist has one; I found head-fi)?

Tell him to do an universal reshell first.  Going for a $500+ CIEM takes away from pizza, fine dining with the gals, and saving up for some wheels and its costs.

The consensus is that the ear will grow bigger and possibly past his teen years, but he should hear it from an audiologist or equivalent expert.

May 20, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:
hello head fi
well i have a problem here actually.My nephew wanted and in ear monitor.but he is only 15 years.
and i said to him that "ur still growing.If you get your ear molded now,It might get loose since yur ear is growing and became bigger."
but still he insisted.He collected money by doing summer jobs with his friends for 5 summer vacation.well i gotta be honest.He really is a persistent boy .Any one can help me? will our ear be bigger ? im not an audiologist so i cant really be sure about this

thanks!
leman

A couple of things... and then a couple of more. First, I've had a couple impressions done. And have voluntarily seen audiologists as a part of my health over the years with regularity.

While I understand the expense, keep this in mind - even if he were an adult with no more growth, ear canals are at risk of changing size due to significant weight gain or weight loss. This is something that could easily happen in six to 12 months. Thus, the golden seal is lost even though the impressions may be perfectly fine. That he's still underage means he'll be due for new impressions along with new shoes sooner than later.

Lastly, there are some teens who are responsible and prudent. Let's hope your nephew is one of them. Because if not, In Ear monitors will put him at risk for hearing loss... early! I am not basing this on volume alone. But duration brought by comfort and convenience. 

Anyway, these are my views and wishing you all the best!

May 24, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 9
I think it's a wise decision to just go with some nice universals for now also. Since you're from Indonesia, it might be a pain sending them back for refits also. It may be disappointing, but there are many universal IEM's out there that are just as good if not better than many customs. 

May 25, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #8 of 9
Yeah 535 is an awesome one to start out with

Users who are viewing this thread

Back