Custom IEM's need amps?
May 23, 2009 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

ac!d-rxn

Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I am on the verge of purchasing some custom IEMs and just had a couple pressing questions.

First off - I listen to mostly metal and prog. rock (Opeth, Procupine tree, Dream theater, and various generic metal bands
smily_headphones1.gif
). My source is a Cowon IAudio7. I have owned the following IEMS:

- shure SCL4 - liked them a lot, but they sounded a bit "dead" or boring.
- Westone UM2's - my favorite IEM's I have heard. Hard to find something to complain about
-Senn IE7's - didnt really like them at all - too much low end, vocals and mids seemed recessed. "Muddy" sound
-NuForce NE-7m - liked em, great value, still kinda boring sounding
-Audeo PFE 112's - love them ... getting some sibilance, but nothing to complain about.

Obviously, I am NOT a bass head - I really like a lively, exciting mid range.

From this info, which custom IEM would you suggest: (My budget is around $600 tops)
-UE 4 's ($400)
-Westone dual driver customs ($550)
-Wesont triple driver customs (anyone know approx. cost?)
-Hearyourself C3's

Right now, I am leaning towards the UE4's, but just heard about the C3's... what is the turn around time on getting C3's?

Also, which, if any of these customs need an amp? I kinda want to avoid carrying something extra with my portable rig
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for your help!

May 23, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 12
Since you really like the UM2 sound you could upgrade to the UM3x for less than 400 and get some um56 Custom sleeves made for them and they have a high sensitivity so you probably wouldn't need an amp with it

May 23, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 12
thanks for the reccomendation - but however I think if I go custom I will go all the way. The problems with custom sleaves are:

- not as low profile as full customs
- price - sleaves + umx3's will cost ~as much as full custom 3 driver westones (i think- can someone confirm?)
- no swappable cables

Also, if it turns out I will need an amp - what would my best bet be (assume I go for the UE4's)?

May 24, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ac!d-rxn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have more reccomendations for me?
I feel myself leaning towards the C3's, but my mind if far from made up!

You could always say 'thank you' first before you ask for more help.

May 24, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #8 of 12
I would hold off on deciding on what customs you should get for another couple of weeks.

There is a new custom (triple driver) from China that is supposed to be very good and is around $500 US. Supposedly sounds very close to the UE10pro.

Also, there is a new version of Livewires (or Fidelity's) in a triple driver configuration that has just been released. Supposed to be very good...this is where I would lean if I were in your position (and I am).

Just have to wait for some real-world reviews on both of these new entries...that's why I suggest holding off for a couple of weeks.

The UE4's sound interesting...and I haven't heard bad things at all about ES3X by Westone...

May 24, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ac!d-rxn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problems with custom sleaves are:

- not as low profile as full customs
- no swappable cables

Agree on both points. Well worth having the cable swapping option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...there is a new version of Livewires (or Fidelity's) in a triple driver configuration that has just been released. Supposed to be very good...this is where I would lean if I were in your position (and I am)

I'll second that suggestion. Although there have been issues with the California 'Livewires' group, the break off group shipping the Fidelitys have always delivered exceptional service and quality, and are using the original source factory so you know the quality will be up to the best spec.

As an early Livewires dual driver owner who upgraded from the UM2s I can say that they do deliver an improvement and utilise similar drivers as the UM2s. And if you want to invest in a recable courtesy of stevenkelby then you'll find the combo hard to beat IMHO.

May 24, 2009 at 1:58 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by roy_jones /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The UE4's sound interesting...and I haven't heard bad things at all about ES3X by Westone...

The ES3X gets rave reviews, that's true, but for twice the price of the UE4 pro. If you want to compare the UE4 pro with a custom IEM from Westone, then it should be the similarly priced ES1.

May 24, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could always say 'thank you' first before you ask for more help.

Ah!! I am sorry! Your post was very helpful - thank you very much!
Apologies for my rudeness..
atsmile.gif

That applies to everyone who has posted thus far - its great to have this kind of support, especially when making such a (potentially) large purchase.

As for comparing the UE4's to the ES1's, I am not sure that they would even fall into the same catagory as the UE3 is a dual driver and the ES1 is single...

I will look into the livewire 3 drivers and I am also considering the UM3X w/UM56 sleaves as suggested above.

May 24, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #12 of 12
Do IEMs need an amp?

In general, no. IEMs are high efficiency devices derived from technologies used in the hearing aid industry. If you have a crappy amplifier or crappy source, expect to hear hiss. The Etymotic ER4S has a sensitivity of about 100 dB/mW. All custom IEMs are more sensitive than this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back