Custom IEM's lifetime - Does it need remolding?
Sep 24, 2009 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

earfanatic

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I am curious about the lifetime of the shell of the custom IEM-s.
I'm sure many people heard about various equipments parts to have agressive effect with UV light and sweat.
I have hardened earphone cables, and MS computer mouse that's got sticky and weird meaning the silicone parts.

So, I'm asking, if I buy a custom for thousand of bucks, how long can I enjoy it? I need facts! Does it need remolding, after a specific time?
I asked an audiologist once and she told me for hearing-aid devices they replace molds in every year. I assume for pricy earphones this wouldn't be free...
What is the truth then?

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 11
... But perhaps not enought to require new molds or even tweaks. As long as you're at least in your 20's, I've understood that a good sealing pair of IEMs can last 10's of years -- maybe more.

If you're in you teens or younger, though... That's a different story.

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 11
after puberty you are okay, your ear changes slowly over a long period of time past that.

Sep 28, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #5 of 11
It really depends on you, actually. My audiologist looked at me, and told me that they'd probably last 4-6 years before minor refits would no longer be sufficient.
I'm 16, and have already overtaken my dad in height. But, in dude's at least, the age at which your ear development and change varies from person to person.

However, if you're older than 25, i'd say it's pretty safe to say they'd last 6+ years perhaps with the occasional adjustment.

I had custom earplugs for drummers done when i was 11. the left ear hasn't changed enough to not form a seal, but the right ear seems too deep (the bend in my ear changed?), and it's been like 5 years. but that's just me.

Oh on another note, i just took out my old earplugs, and removed the filters. then noticed that they'd fit perfectly over my UE SF5 Pro.... OMG, I NOW HAVE CUSTOM TIPS FOR MY SF.5 Pros. and it's magical... (why did i buy livewires again?)

Sep 28, 2009 at 4:35 PM Post #7 of 11
I've got custom earplugs that i have for drumming. They've got a 25db hi-fi filter facing outward when worn (so you're not blocking too much out that you can't play).
I removed said filter, then jammed the bores into the holes the filters used to occupy, and i had custom silicone tips.

Sep 28, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnullify /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got custom earplugs that i have for drumming. They've got a 25db hi-fi filter facing outward when worn (so you're not blocking too much out that you can't play).
I removed said filter, then jammed the bores into the holes the filters used to occupy, and i had custom silicone tips.

I used to do this with Shure E2 in ears, definitely made a big difference.

Does anyone know what else has the same size tube as the E2??

Sep 28, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by TyRip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used to do this with Shure E2 in ears, definitely made a big difference.

Does anyone know what else has the same size tube as the E2??

They are Comply T-200 sized, so going here and clicking "Compatibility" will give you a list:

Comply™ Foam Replacement Tips/Earbuds for Shure® E2c

Sep 29, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #10 of 11
Actually I was thinking about the material, not the dimensions, but this is an another point You mentioned. Anybody who uses custom made silicon earplugs has experiencing changes in the material? Hardening, coloring, etc.

Jul 27, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #11 of 11

I have a a pair of customs I've been using for 8+ years. If you take care of them they will last. I have not noticed any kind of a seal issue with them....... Murdock the Drummer
Quote:
Hello,

I am curious about the lifetime of the shell of the custom IEM-s.
I'm sure many people heard about various equipments parts to have agressive effect with UV light and sweat.
I have hardened earphone cables, and MS computer mouse that's got sticky and weird meaning the silicone parts.

So, I'm asking, if I buy a custom for thousand of bucks, how long can I enjoy it? I need facts! Does it need remolding, after a specific time?
I asked an audiologist once and she told me for hearing-aid devices they replace molds in every year. I assume for pricy earphones this wouldn't be free...
What is the truth then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back