Custom IEMs for musician?
Jul 5, 2008 at 9:04 AM Post #16 of 50
thanks Joe, good info.

I'm not sure that your description of the future sonics sound fits my perception of what I want in a stage monitor, but we may be getting lost in the words.

its not that I necessarily want a very pronounced midrange, but I want focus and cohesion in the midrange, I'm sceptical of what a passive crossover may do to mid phase cohesion in a 2 or 3 way system.

since you probably know mics, can you characterise the sound of different headsets in terms of mics?

for example, i'm a big AKG fan, C451 on the fiddle, C414 on the bouzouki and guitar, 414 or rode NT2000 on vox etc. My main tracking cans are AKG K271.

is there a IEM choice that fits with that aesthetic?

also - how would a universal monitor with a custom soft sleeve from ACS compare with a dedicated custom IEM?

Jul 5, 2008 at 9:09 AM Post #17 of 50
hmm, looked at the future sonics site, i like the idea, single hq driver is the way to go i would think in theory at least... the custom ones are pricey though!

why so much more for the custom ?

what do you think about an universal atrio for onstage? if i like it I could add a ACS custom sleeve...

Jul 6, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #20 of 50
I'd still really like to hear from anyone who has actually owned or used more than one of the IEMs i'm am considering.

what about single driver phones?

Obviously the atrio is a good generic single driver, what about the westone UM1, they can be had cheap and looks like the fit would be good for a universal - would I be very disappointed?

freq does a single driver custom fit one for a mere $99, whats it like?

since cohesive midrange is my main criteria, why not go for a single driver? are they really that bad?

the etys are all single driver and are well regarded for quality if not to everyones taste it seems.

without hearing this stuff i'm in the dark, (to mix my metaphors) maybe i have to expect to buy several things to get my bearings...

the atrios sound like a good first purchase, but i'm not sure if its a bit of waste of time getting a universal at all, since lowprofile stage monitoring with good seal is the eventual aim.

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #21 of 50
do you have a shop around your area where you can possibly test a few of those.. ultimately it's your ears that are gonna convince you of the best choice =)

Jul 7, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #22 of 50
I don't have any local shops with that sort of stuff, let alone any that would let me try them out!

I've ordered the westone UM1, it is well spoken of on this forum, and it sounds like its the cheapest option that will work properly as a stage monitor, ie lowprofile, wire over ear etc.

i'll try it and that will hopefully give me an idea what to upgrade to.

the lack of bass reported with the UM1 will not be a problem for my purposes.

I like the idea of the atrio, but the UM1 seems better designed ergonomically.

more suggestions and input welcome, i very much doubt that the UM1 will be my last IEM....

Jul 7, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #23 of 50
great choice i've used it quite alot of times for stage monitoring =)

very comfy and like you say, low profile.. =)

Jul 8, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #24 of 50
TD...

I'm a rookie to all of this too.. It hink i'm going to give the Westone a shot too.

Let us (me) know what you think when you get em!

I'm a singer too...in about the same boat as you.

E

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #25 of 50
i've used the uM1 on many an occasion while on stage with the bands...

it'd definitely low profiled enough for stage use. It responds well to EQ so your soundman should have no problems at all giving you a good sound to perform with. =)

Jul 10, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #26 of 50
I am a bass player and singer as well as being a mastering engineer in the daytime. I play in a couple of situations, a DUO and a 7 piece horn band around the DFW area. I use the LiveWires and am very happy with the performance. If you are a singer you should seriously consider getting custom molded IEM's.

The thing is that universals just don't fit well and stay put when you are on stage and can be uncomfortable after long periods of wear. Also you need to get the IEM in your ear to at least the second bend in your ear to be able to get the highs from your voice to over ride the resonance in your head. Even still, on stage sometimes I am at the same volume as the other singers in my IEM's, but I can hear them much better than me. The other singers also say the same thing as they can hear everyone else real clear but not themselves.

This effect was worse when I used universals before I got the LiveWires. With the LiveWires I don't notice it being a problem. And yes! the LiveWires do have good bottom end, I'm a bass player and I can hear my axe very well in the mix.

Ace

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:38 AM Post #27 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by StudioAce /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also you need to get the IEM in your ear to at least the second bend in your ear to be able to get the highs from your voice to over ride the resonance in your head.

I didn't realise that any of the IEM manufacturers made them that long - maybe just on special request...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back