Custom IEMs (1964 ears) for travel?
Feb 19, 2012 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

squiresuzuki

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. I'm going back to looking at the 1964 ears Triples (1964-T), which obviously have tons of good ratings. Their sound signature sounds perfect to me---slightly emphasized low end.
The thing is that I won't be using these onstage, but I will be using them for travel to school and back.
Kind of a stupid question, but how do custom IEMs look and feel when they're out of your ears and hanging out of the front of your shirt? Are they big and clunky? I think that a lot of the time I will have one in my right ear and the left one hanging out.
Thanks a lot for the help. Also, if you have any spare pictures of your 1964 iems, I'd love to see them.

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #2 of 7
Why would you have one in and one out? Totally defeats the purpose. The rare occasion I've taken one out before pausing was really weird and would not be enjoyable for listening. Also, 1964 ears specifically says in the instructions they do not recommend letting them hang...it's a good way to get a drop of sweat in then or perhaps get accidents damaged. This would be true for any custom.

That being said....I am a VERY happy 1964 ears customer, but they are either both in my ears or in their case :)

Feb 19, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 7
Most people say that they feel almost like nothing is in your ear. (Custom, get it?)
There is no suction like IEM's need, but there is still a seal.

Don't hang them off your shirt, the unit might fall off from the cable. There goes $300.

1964 ears does has their own facebook with pics. But the mostly look like all the others do. 

Why are you worried about looks? It's not like having something stab into your ear and screaming at you connected by a puke green cable to a large black box in your pocket is really that good looking. 

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 7
If you're leaving one in and hanging one out, shove the one that's out into your shirt pocket or something. I've never had one come off a cable, but you really don't want there to be a first time.

Clunky? No, but they're larger than most universals.

Feb 19, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #5 of 7
I've had people talking to me when I had my customs in they don't realize they're earphones.

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 7
They are great for travel.  I've used them a decent bit on the metro, removing one to hear the announcements.  Agreed that you don't want to lose one, so stuff it in a pocket.  But they are very comfortable and they block out a good portion of the noise when commuting.

I'd definitely recommend them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back