Custom IEM versus Fullsize Headphones
Jul 7, 2008 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Dash

1000+ Head-Fier
I have owned several universal IEMs but have seen the market of custom IEMs explode. It seems that companies live Livewire and Freq have really dug out a niche in the market. So here is my basic question:

Can custom IEMs (like the Livewire/FreQs) replace full headphone sound? It would be nice to consolidate to one pair of do it all headphones without much loss in SQ.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 23
Although I don't own any custom iem, I do have one of the top universal iem contender re1, and I really don't think iems can match their full size counterpart assuming that both costs the same.

Soundstage and bass impact are especially the two things full size cans do much better in.

Jul 8, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 23
I could be wrong but till now the FreQ custom IEMs, had not showed me to be better in any regard than the universal ones I have here, and the fit is IMO a pain in the neck...trying to work on them right now with them, but till now, not my cup of tea...

None of the IEM's, being universal or custom, hold a candle in front of a full size headphone soundwise. The soundstage, bass impact, details, highs and lows extension, is IMO far better in most of the good full size headphones we know, IMO who said the opposite is simply denying the reality...
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 23
Yeah thats what I thought too. They may have come pretty far recently but are not there yet. I guess it reminds of the portable amp market. The best portable amp still is missing something compared to a home based amp of the relative same quality.

Jul 8, 2008 at 6:24 AM Post #6 of 23
Neither of tho IEM's I have heard stand up to full-sized headphones when it comes to sound quality. So I say they can't fully replace a full-sized headphone.

They are great for their task though. Portable audio on the road.

Jul 8, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #7 of 23
I've said it before and I will say it again: yes there is IEM that can capture the fullness of a full-sized headphone and it is called UE-11.

I've compared it even to GS-1000 and there is little difference in how "big" the sound is. For detail and music layering I'd say the UE-11 wins.

Jul 8, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matteman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've said it before and I will say it again: yes there is IEM that can capture the fullness of a full-sized headphone and it is called UE-11.

I've compared it even to GS-1000 and there is little difference in how "big" the sound is. For detail and music layering I'd say the UE-11 wins.

Certainly makes me want to listen to a UE11 one day! *drools*

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #9 of 23
i'm quite pleased with my se530, i actually like them alot more then the sr325i i used to own.

alot of people sacrifice allot for SQ, i still got my portability i don't have a really heavy cable to drag around, i usually walk around with my sony A828 which delivers great sound quality and being a small player is very portable. when i get to my laptop i just plug it directly into my laptop out. maybe not the best high fidelity solution but still it delivers an amazing sound by any "average" standard.

as soon as i need to start looking for the differences in sound its taking it to far for me, and thats what i'm doing when trying to find the difference between an high end iem and hih end cans.

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:21 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matteman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

rofl! Those 2 headphones were what I was considering getting for myself but now I guess I will drop the gs-1000 if I can have that type of performance in a portable earphone!

Jul 8, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1nf1n1tygame /img/forum/go_quote.gif

as soon as i need to start looking for the differences in sound its taking it to far for me...

Eh? I mean, no disrespect, but why are you here then?
Sorry, haven't had enough coffee yet to understand this part of yr post...
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rofl! Those 2 headphones were what I was considering getting for myself but now I guess I will drop the gs-1000 if I can have that type of performance in a portable earphone!

Yes I was battling with those too, and it's a tough decision since you can't audition a pair of customs.

Looks as if you have been convinced by this IEM FOTY (Flavor of the year)
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eh? I mean, no disrespect, but why are you here then?
Sorry, haven't had enough coffee yet to understand this part of yr post...
wink.gif

you mean if you can't hear the diffirence between headphones unless you start looking for them you will still go for the more expensive one? i just find that strange..

Jul 9, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #15 of 23
I started a thread trying to get opinions on how the flagship of the top tier IEMs makers compare to the HD650 WHEN UNAMPED (by definition with a portable amp that is not the Predator or the PICO) and the consensus was that the top of the line universal IEMs would beat the HD650 on that scenario.

If it takes 3-4times the money to get to their potential then I would say the IEMs are an excellent choice.

Now that this post is getting some attention I think it is a good time to ask: would you say the flagship IEMs are better than flagship full sized cans when connected to lesser sources (ipod for instance)?

My triple fis are in my house and I just cant wait to get there this afternoon!!! The anticipation is killing me. For some reason I have high hopes...i wasnt so intrigue about the HD650 a month ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back