Custom IEM versus Fullsize Headphones
Jul 9, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by alitomr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I started a thread trying to get opinions on how the flagship of the top tier IEMs makers compare to the HD650 WHEN UNAMPED (by definition with a portable amp that is not the Predator or the PICO) and the consensus was that the top of the line universal IEMs would beat the HD650 on that scenario.

If it takes 3-4times the money to get to their potential then I would say the IEMs are an excellent choice.

Now that this post is getting some attention I think it is a good time to ask: would you say the flagship IEMs are better than flagship full sized cans when connected to lesser sources (ipod for instance)?

My triple fis are in my house and I just cant wait to get there this afternoon!!! The anticipation is killing me. For some reason I have high hopes...i wasnt so intrigue about the HD650 a month ago.

Well if you want my honest opinion, and comming from a guy that do not like the HD650, and on top sell headphone amps, and you can consider that I'm shooting myself on the foot if you want, but my opinion is that even from the weakest jack you can find, the HD650 will beat to death any IEM that I have heard till today...Same as almost any full size headphone...period...

IMO to amp or not a given headphone, with just a few exceptions, is not necesarily "a must", you can still enjoy any heapdhone from that jack of your speaker amp, and even from any portable jack (with just a very few exceptions)....
Naturally the headphone will sound better properly amped, but the difference in any case, at least from the ones I have heard, will rarely be a love/hate definition...

Jul 9, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by alitomr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My triple fis are in my house and I just cant wait to get there this afternoon!!! The anticipation is killing me. For some reason I have high hopes...i wasnt so intrigue about the HD650 a month ago.

had the same thing when i got my grado sr325i's wasn't that thrilled by the sound. i traded them for a pair of SE530"s it sounds so much better
wink.gif

somehow i feel like iems have a bigger impact on me, more like the sound is injected into your head.

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1nf1n1tygame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you mean if you can't hear the diffirence between headphones unless you start looking for them you will still go for the more expensive one? i just find that strange..

I agree, but judging from steviebee's other posts, I think he was just pointing out how odd such a pragmatic p.o.v. sounds on this board.

Jul 9, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1nf1n1tygame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
had the same thing when i got my grado sr325i's wasn't that thrilled by the sound. i traded them for a pair of SE530"s it sounds so much better
wink.gif

somehow i feel like iems have a bigger impact on me, more like the sound is injected into your head.

It's not happening to me...FTL...

They sound very good, better than the HD555 by not a huge margin IMHO. I am still trying tips but in general I am not very impressed, maybe because i was expecting them to be better than the HD650...

I am still trying tips though. I received two medium comply tips and they were good but nothing extraordinary. The bass with them and also with the medium silicon tips was superb. Incredibly detailed but the mids and highs suffered too much. The best sound by far is with the small silicon tips. The most balanced at least.

I still feel the mids are a little muddy and the highs are not remotely close to the HD650. The cymbals on the HD650 are as good as i think is possible, not necessarily in terms of euphony but in terms of how they sound so much like being next to the real thing.

The sound is huge in the triples though. And the soundstage is incredible for such small things that are stuck inside your ears. In terms of comfort they are very very comfortable. I can barely feel them in my ears.

I read something around here about some tones to test the seal, anyone know ab0out them?

Jul 10, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if you want my honest opinion, and comming from a guy that do not like the HD650, and on top sell headphone amps, and you can consider that I'm shooting myself on the foot if you want, but my opinion is that even from the weakest jack you can find, the HD650 will beat to death any IEM that I have heard till today...Same as almost any full size headphone...period...

IMO to amp or not a given headphone, with just a few exceptions, is not necesarily "a must", you can still enjoy any heapdhone from that jack of your speaker amp, and even from any portable jack (with just a very few exceptions)....
Naturally the headphone will sound better properly amped, but the difference in any case, at least from the ones I have heard, will rarely be a love/hate definition...

I agree with Sovkiller here. IEMs, custom or otherwise, simply cannot reproduce live music as well as full-sized headphones (specifically HD580), amped or unamped.

I don't doubt that there are people who prefer the "in your head" and personal sound of IEMs, but that is different than trying to achieve a live-like sound, which is the goal of audio reproduction.

Jul 10, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #21 of 23
If big headphones weren't soo big and geeky and were more portable I would preferred them over IEMs. As someone said b4 IEMs lack bass impact and Sound stage.

Jul 10, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #22 of 23
The only thing i've found quite amazing from the triple fi in about 1.5hour of listening is their huge soundstage. It seems the sound is coming from much bigger cans, and more than bigger cans, from outside sometimes.

I still think I might not be getting a proper seal. The album that sounds the best with them is Hell Freezes over. Again.

Jul 10, 2008 at 4:31 AM Post #23 of 23
x2 on hell freezes over... its one of my reference track wehn comparing headphones...

soundstage on most IEM is a bit hollow/vacumed space... bigger cans are open and natural...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back