1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Custom IEM Tips v Triple Flanges & Foam

1. malifact
    Hi, I tried doing a search but couldn't find a similar thread.  I recently purchased a pair of custom IEM tips and went through the process of having ear impressions done etc.  The sound quality with the custom tips is really good, but I was surprised that the isolation wasn't better.  At first I thought maybe my impressions had been taken incorrectly, or I wasn't inserting the tips properly.  The company I purchased them from were very helpful and sent one of their agents to my work to check , but he said I was inserting the tips properly and there was no sound leaking out.  I'm probably being stupid, but I thought the isolation would be a lot better with custom tips.  However, I get much better isolation using triple flange tips or Comply foam / Shure olives.  Can anyone who has had custom IEMs or tips done tell me if this is normal?

2. lolhart
    I don't own custom IEMs or custom tips, but I would have thought the isolation would be better than with form or triple flanges.  I thought the whole idea of custom IEMS was that they fit the individual's ear canal exactly?  I'd be curious if anyone knows anything about this, as I was thinking of getting custom tips.

3. Ivabign
    If you rub your fingers together next to your ears (with music off - lol) can you hear them? You shouldn't with a proper seal.

4. malifact
    I can't hear my fingers rubbing together. Another thing is that I can easily move the tips up and down in the canal when I have them inserted. I wouldn't have thought that would be possible, or am I mistaken?

5. davidcotton
    http://www.sensaphonics.com/test

See if that's any use.  Also what are your tips made from, acrylic or silicone?

6. malifact

Thank you.  I tried the test and the 500Hz tone is louder than the 50Hz but not by a great deal.

The tips are made from silicone.  I specifically wanted them made from silicone as I read in another thread here that it was more isolating than acrylic.