Custom IEM that's comfortable enough for someone with nerve pain by their ear
Nov 20, 2014 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

wader

Head-Fier
Per my signature (which hasn't changed much since I joined Head-Fi in 2007), I tend to use lighter-weight listening equipment, though I pop on the HD-555 cans once in awhile when mixing through the computer.

My issue related to this thread title is that I've developed a condition known as Occipital Neuralgia, which essentially prevents me from wearing something (like headphones) too long over my (left) ear because it will otherwise start a flare-up of pain from the pressure being placed on my nerve in that region.  If worn too long over my left ear, the ramp-up in pain can occur quite rapidly and to a severe level of sensation - plus, it takes awhile to tamp it down.

So, for example, the left arm of my sun or reading glasses is perfectly straight and sits lightly on the ear, itself - barely grazes my head.  Even this will eventually cause irritation, but it gives me time to get tasks done before having to remove the glasses to avoid inflaming the nerve.  I obviously can't sleep on the my left side and the pain when waking up some mornings can be quite stunning.

I primarily use my Sennheiser PX 100s in audio listening situations, but only for less than an hour at a time.  I actually prefer using my Westone UM2s overall, and their relatively stock foam inserts are OK . . . but, some are stiffer than others and they often feel more wedged in than melded with my ears.

. . .

All of this has led me to wonder about custom-fit IEMs and if anyone has experiences with a style or brand that sits relatively light in the ear without placing much pressure inward.  So, it shouldn't be too deep in the canal but otherwise molded comfortably to my ear shape outside the canal opening so it won't fall out easily, ideally.  And, they should be very light weight. From a SQ standpoint, I tend to favor mid-range in my monitors.

Not sure if after-the-fact customs can be retrofitted to my UM2 IEMs these days or if they might meet my characteristics above - it's been awhile since I was more active in these fun forums, admittedly.

Ideas and suggestions welcome.  My budget is less than $450, if possible - but, if something close to ideal comfort qualities would cost more, I'll certainly consider it.

- wader

Nov 21, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #2 of 5
I get neuralgia too, but not due to pressure - I get attacks if I drink too much orange juice! My nerves really get on my nerves sometimes.

From your post you're wanting to avoid the pressure along the top of your ear as the glasses arm would cause - perhaps an IEM worn down from the ear (as opposed to 'up and over' the back) would be suitable?

Or for the UM2 you can try a custom mould where just the eartip is created, or an earsleeve.

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #3 of 5
Orange juice?  Interesting, I wonder if it's related to the potassium or such . . .

I recall that custom eartips could be created, but wasn't sure how comfortable + light that assembly would be with my UM2s compared to a single, custom--molded unit, I guess.

Any recommendations on a custom eartip manufacturer, or would that just be Westone?

- wader

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #4 of 5
It feels like an acid in the juice that's triggering things (the off topic bit there)

If you're in the US then Sensaphonics might be worth asking - they list Etymotic and Shure only on their site, but Westone aren't dissimilar from Shure in nozzle size and design.

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 5
Thanks for that helpful suggestion - it actually pointed me towards researching custom tips vs one-piece customs.  As a consequence, I'm leaning towards re-shelling my UM2s via a service such as InEarz.

Cheers.

- wader

Users who are viewing this thread

Back