Custom IEM that resembles the sound signature of W4?
Apr 17, 2012 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

SilverB

Head-Fier
I've decided that I want to get a pair of custom IEM.
I've been setting my eye on the Westone ES5, but am wondering if Unique Melody Miracle will suit me better?

I'm using a pair of Westone 4 at the moment and really happy with the performance.
I'm looking for something that could improve/extend this further.

Other IEMs that I've tried and disliked:
Shure SE530 - sounds boring to me.
Sennheiser IE8 - a little too dark to my liking.

SilverB

Apr 17, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #2 of 28
I personally loved my Miracle, but I don't think you can go wrong with either one (though how much of improvement from the W4 is up to your own perception), it just depends on whether you prefer the intimate and engaging presentation of ES5 or the open and poised presentation of Miracle, or whether the hybrid shell material of ES5 matters to you.

If you resides in Malaysia then the Miracle will come a little cheaper, and you can contact UM Malaysia for a personal audition of the Miracle.

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 28
I've listened to the W4 for an extended period of time & loved it.. it's definitely one of my favorite universal IEMs.  Neutral, clean, slightly warm, & very natural sounding.  That being said, the Miracle is a clear step up... and it's noticeably more musical than the W4 to my ears.

For fans of the W4.. the Miracle is a very appropriate, natural progression when going to customs, IMO.

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #4 of 28
If it's just the fit, have you thought about um56 tips instead of a new custom?

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #5 of 28
Thank you for your feedback, Whizz and FlySweep.
Sounds to me as if the UM Miracle will suit me better?

I was actually thinking that the ES5 would be almost the same sound signature, well they are from the same house after all.
Has anyone compared them before?

davidcotton, I dont really have any issue with the Westone 4 currently.
I'm just looking for something that is better, and at the same time retaining almost the same sound signature.

SilverB

Apr 17, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #6 of 28

Quote:
I've been setting my eye on the Westone ES5, but am wondering if Unique Melody Miracle will suit me better?

I'm using a pair of Westone 4 at the moment and really happy with the performance.

SilverB

A miracle will be like a brighter Westone 4 with a little more V-shaped sound compared to the dark, mid-centric Westone 4. 

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #7 of 28
Have you thought about getting the W4's custom molded? You already have the expensive part, and a sound signature you like, so if you're thinking about customs this should be a thought at least considered. Though if you have the money to spend on it, I'd try the UM line of Customs. I've heard good things about their build quality and they have some interesting offerings.

Quote:

SilverB

Apr 17, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #8 of 28

Quote:
Have you thought about getting the W4's custom molded? You already have the expensive part, and a sound signature you like, so if you're thinking about customs this should be a thought at least considered. Though if you have the money to spend on it, I'd try the UM line of Customs. I've heard good things about their build quality and they have some interesting offerings.

That's a good suggestion actually.
But I also realize that I'm always wanting more out of the Westone 4 :p

SilverB

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:08 AM Post #9 of 28

Quote:

SilverB

That's actually a good idea. Re-shell are for people who love the sound signature of a particular IEM but want more out from it. Re-shelling will improve the sound. And if re-shelling is still not enough, you know you can still go to full customs :wink: 

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:11 AM Post #10 of 28
You're welcome, and remember to have some patience. I need to take my own advice sometimes, but the audio world, especially when you are engaged in it with the forums and everything, has tons of different options, and you may have to look deep into the forums to find the right posts, but many of the customs these days have at least one or two reviews, and I'm sure you will find something to your liking. You might wanna hit up Westone and tell them about how you feel, they might be able to guide you to the next step up that's sonically similar to the W4's you love. Obviously, they'll be suggesting one of their products, but that still may be something that useful, as they should know best what's the next step up to their own product.

Quote:

SilverB

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:15 AM Post #11 of 28

Quote:
You're welcome, and remember to have some patience. I need to take my own advice sometimes, but the audio world, especially when you are engaged in it with the forums and everything, has tons of different options, and you may have to look deep into the forums to find the right posts, but many of the customs these days have at least one or two reviews, and I'm sure you will find something to your liking. You might wanna hit up Westone and tell them about how you feel, they might be able to guide you to the next step up that's sonically similar to the W4's you love. Obviously, they'll be suggesting one of their products, but that still may be something that useful, as they should know best what's the next step up to their own product.

I think it's possible for Westone to re-shell your IEMs, I'm not so sure, read that somewhere. 

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #12 of 28
Actually, I was happy with the Westone 4 until 1 fine and dandy day, my friend lets me audition his HD800.
It was from that moment onwards that I kept thinking about upgrading my gears to achieve the same level of sound quality.

SilverB.

Apr 17, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #13 of 28

Quote:
Actually, I was happy with the Westone 4 until 1 fine and dandy day, my friend lets me audition his HD800.
It was from that moment onwards that I kept thinking about upgrading my gears to achieve the same level of sound quality.

SilverB.

Then get the HD800 (LOL), it's quite hard for an IEM to produce the kind of sound signature from headphones. But I know the feeling, I felt the same of my Westone 4R (okay, maybe too much bass) until I tried the ATH-W3000ANV, that was just pure awesome... but I can't afford that for now. So you may achieve a on-par sound sig., but it's hard to achieve the same level of sound quality as it, just a lot different. 

Apr 17, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #14 of 28
I tell you the W4 has climbed back to the top of my favorite universals. I don't know what has happened, but in the last few weeks its sound has just opened and blossomed beautifully in my ears. I would have to say it's tied with the ASG-1 as my favorite universal. The bass has even gotten deeper to my ears, and nothing really beats its instrument separation IMO.

Apr 17, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #15 of 28

Quote:
I tell you the W4 has climbed back to the top of my favorite universals. I don't know what has happened, but in the last few weeks its sound has just opened and blossomed beautifully in my ears. I would have to say it's tied with the ASG-1 as my favorite universal. The bass has even gotten deeper to my ears, and nothing really beats its instrument separation IMO.

Burn in :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back