Custom IEM impressions gone wrong?
Feb 3, 2010 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cmokruhl

New Head-Fier
I just got my impressions done for the JH13s I'm about to purchase. However, I'm a little worried that he didn't do them right... I gave him JH Audio's instruction sheet, but he didn't use cotton (or foam) and he didn't use a bite-block. I kept my jaw open and tried not to move, but after ~3 minutes of the goop in my ears, he specifically instructed me to close and open the jaw.

I asked him why he didn't use a bite block and he said that if I had been a "rock star", he would have, but since I'm using them only for listening, it's not a big deal. He said it's mainly for comfort when the jaw is open, which happens when you're singing but not when listening.

So, I'm worried that the impressions aren't deep enough (given the lack of cotton usage) and that I won't get the right seal (because of the jaw). How worried should I be that these impressions will result in ill-fitting JH13s? Will JH Audio be able to tell me if the impressions look improper?

Feb 3, 2010 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 15
Ive had impressions twice and both times I was told to open and close my mouth and even move my jaw back and forth a little. They turned out great in the end. They look good from your picture but its hard to tell from a single pic. The only thing Im shocked about is him putting the impression material in your ear without the foam insert first. That seems highly unusual. But that is for your protection not anything else.

Feb 3, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmokruhl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just got my impressions done for the JH13s I'm about to purchase. However, I'm a little worried that he didn't do them right... I gave him JH Audio's instruction sheet, but he didn't use cotton (or foam) and he didn't use a bite-block. I kept my jaw open and tried not to move, but after ~3 minutes of the goop in my ears, he specifically instructed me to close and open the jaw.

I asked him why he didn't use a bite block and he said that if I had been a "rock star", he would have, but since I'm using them only for listening, it's not a big deal. He said it's mainly for comfort when the jaw is open, which happens when you're singing but not when listening.

So, I'm worried that the impressions aren't deep enough (given the lack of cotton usage) and that I won't get the right seal (because of the jaw). How worried should I be that these impressions will result in ill-fitting JH13s? Will JH Audio be able to tell me if the impressions look improper?

The person doing your impressions didn't use a cotton or foam block? They just put the impression material into your ears without any type of block whatsoever? If this really happened, you need to report this person to the owner of the business or whatever professional regulation organization governs the provider in your area. Putting impression material in your ear without a block could cause the impression material to adhere to your eardrum, which would rupture when pulled out. That's not to mention the areas of extreme pain you can encounter before that happens.

The impressions, overall, look OK, but the end of the canal looks a little disfigured. I would go and have them shot by somebody who's willing to do them per Jerry's instructions.

Feb 3, 2010 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by joeshambro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The person doing your impressions didn't use a cotton or foam block? They just put the impression material into your ears without any type of block whatsoever?

Yep. I was a little disconcerted when it was going on, but I assumed the guy knew what he was doing. Plus, I had just asked him about why he wasn't using the bite block and was shot down for not being a "rock star", so I didn't feel like questioning another part of the process.

Ultimately, I'm unharmed and only out $25, but I question how deep/good the impressions are since they clearly didn't fill the ear canal.

Feb 3, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 15
When I had my impressions done, the audiologist insisted that I didn't need a bite block because he said from the many impressions he had done before, it didn't really make a difference. Of course after insisting on my behalf, he did get me a bite block; I'm pretty sure it didn't really matter, but I wanted to do things by the book.

As for your rock star status, I'm sure he was only teasing you in good faith.

Feb 3, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 15
1. This guy should be stripped of his license. I remember reading this article online where an elder man was being fitted for a hearing aid and the audiologist failed to use a dam of any sort. Needless to say, the silicon actually punctured his ear drum and required surgery to be removed. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't use a dam. You can't possibly expect to get an accurate impression of the canal if you can't fill it 100% and without an ottoblock, doing so doesn't seem possible without causing injury.

2. With my experience, I've determined an open mouth impression is almost crucial to a good fit. At least for me. I use my monitors at work where I perform manual labor and I find that when lifting heavy objects, my canals tend to shift and change shape. I often times talk, smile, yawn, etc., and I'm not so sure my seal would be near as good without taking an open mouth impression. Actually, next set of monitors I get, I plan to go a little further, using the bite block I provide (1.5"), but this time flexing my ears to their fullest.

p10f8.jpg

I would definitely find another audiologist and if they don't put a dam in your canal, I would walk the hell out. Secondly, definitely get an open mouth impression. Tell them "because you said so. now shut the hell up." I would certainly hate to lose my seal every time I so much as open my mouth too far.

Feb 3, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 15
I didnt have a bite block for mine they did use cotton though, i wouldnt do them if they didnt. I moved my jaw around after holding it open for a few minutes and mine turned out 100% fit from unique melody.

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmokruhl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep. I was a little disconcerted when it was going on, but I assumed the guy knew what he was doing. Plus, I had just asked him about why he wasn't using the bite block and was shot down for not being a "rock star", so I didn't feel like questioning another part of the process.

Sounds like a major ******* to me. Rock star or no rock star, you're paying to get it done, and you should get it done right.

Feb 4, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #9 of 15
i remember when i had impressions done a couple of years ago for my UM56's type tips for my shures i was very bewildered when the audiologist said i didn't need an open mouth impression and that its really only for singers and hearing aids when you're opening in your mouth alot. i was a funny about having them done with a close mouth afer reading that for so long that open mouth was important but i went with it none the less figured she knew what she was doing.

While the fit is super comfy, if i yawn or eat as i often do when im listening on the go, everytime my jaw moves my seal breaks and it annoys the hell out of me. i always wonder if it would be different if id gotten an open mouth as initially requested.

I wont make the same mistake again when i have my impressions done for my JH16's tomorrow morning. i want it by the book, bite block and all as Jerry requests it. Also this time im having my ears looked at by my doctor tonight to make sure they're nice and clean to get the most accurate impression i can. living in australia is gonna be horrible for refits so itd be nice (although unlikely from what i've heard) to get it right the first time.

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:06 AM Post #10 of 15
Yup, Im glad my original assersion of shock that he didnt use the foam has been confirmed. Im just stunned by that. But Im not totally sold on the need for a bite block. Can someone that is smarter then me tell me what the difference is in with a bite block as opposed to how I had it done where you just open and close your mouth and wiggle your jaw around a little. Mine dont loose seal with my mouth open or closed. Was that just luck? I even spoke a small amount with the lady while waiting for them to dry. It seems to me that with a bite block you are still locked into one position but if you move your jaw around and open and closed you should your mouth you get the best of both worlds? Im not claiming to be any kind of expert on this topic lol.

Jun 21, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #11 of 15
Casual listener here, unfortunately not a rock star.  I had a bite block and think this may have been a negative.  My audiologist was also very concerned with following the specified directions and getting a good, deep impression. He was pretty aggressive with the molding material, which made for an uncomfortable 3 minutes.  Not painful, just pressure, like a big mass was stuffed in my ear.  He did my left ear, and had a student do my right ear.  At the time, I was worried she wasn't aggressive enough (much less pressure during the process than his side), but now I wish she'd done both ears.  I also wish I had moved my jaw around. Wearing my JH13's feels like the tight pressure molding process again.  Also, relaxing my jaw muscles results in an open-mouthed position, because of the block.  If I open and close my jaw, I get crackling in the left ear that the doc did.  The student side is a better fit, but still feels a bit tight.  Also, I can't wear them when I eat, because I get all sorts of noise in my ears that is just unbearable.

I'm trying to get them adjusted, as JHA says they can shrink them.  Should I be able to eat /drink and comfortably listen with a good seal?  

Also, has anyone else had theirs adjusted (shrunk) with success?  I am concerned that shrinking them might result in losing the seal.

Jun 21, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #12 of 15
When I had my impressions made the audiologist had me talk to him the whole time the impressions were being taken no bite block. I am still waiting for my IEMs to be done so I don't know how well it worked out yet.

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #13 of 15
I had my impressions done a month ago and im still waiting for my customs to be done.. my audiologist did everything by the book. I also had my impressions done "Agressive" because i asked her about it after the process and she said she didnt want any airbubbles, gaps, or any excessive movement so dont worry too much about her being too agressive. Hope mine turns out good so i dont have to send them back to get it re-fitted.

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #14 of 15
He probably asked you to open & close your mouth after 3 minutes to aid the release of the mould more than for the fit.
As other have mentioned it seems appalling that no cotton block was used, did he bother to inspect your ears first?

I had my impressions taken at the company who made the customs and asked about open versus closed. As their customs are silicon he said to have my mouth as I would when listening, relaxed not gritting teeth together and not mouth wide-open (who would listen like that?)

If you do a simple test by placing you little finger tips in your ears (clean fingers of course) and feel the clamping effect between mouth firmly closed/teeth gritted and then slowly opening you'll find a big difference between gritted & relaxed.

I guess a block is suggested to keep the your teeth fixed for the few minutes at a uniform gap and avoids bad impressions due to chatting etc.

Your impressions look OK but how fared in keeping you jaws open may affect the end product.

Jun 20, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #15 of 15

Yours look great. Mine turned out rather rough. The place charged $200 for the impressions and they look worse than I expected. Lots of little holes. Even gave them the paper of what 64audio wanted.

B4728636-DD15-43F0-B346-833FA61B7D6C.jpeg

C06BC481-FF5F-4487-9E30-7BEFA492455A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back