Custom FUTURESONICS (my review)
Jul 16, 2006 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

tucker71

100+ Head-Fier
Futuresonics.

After about 2 years of research and thought, I’ve finally made the switch to custom-fit IEMs.

THE DECISION:
Unlike many of you, my usage will not be for private enjoyment of pre-recorded music but rather, for onstage monitoring. (I am a professional/session Bass player and singer)
In other words, I needed something that could compete with blaring guitar amps, professional vocalists (often using wedges), live drums & cymbals, and various amount of pre-recorded tracks and sequences.
Because of these conditions, I decided to go with the (original) custom IEMs made by Future Sonics. They were designed for this application.
Why didn’t I go with UE? Simple. The UE10 may perform flawlessly when carefully listening for faint brushes against the snaredrum on an uncompressed Norah Jones recording but, would they be able to handle a full-on live mix every night?? My IEMs were gonna get punished by a live mix about 17 times each month.
I needed something a little less clinical. Something that could give my bass guitar some warmth.

THE PROCESS:
Amazingly, it was quite difficult to find an audiologist in Toronto that knew what IEMs were, and why I needed JUST the impressions. I had to explain to several offices that I needed to leave with my impressions in-hand so I could mail them to a lab in Pennsylvania. Many of them wouldn’t agree to that. Odd.
Eventually I found The Musicians Clinic. (http://www.musiciansclinics.com/home.asp ) and had my impressions and a hearing test completed in no time. 50 bucks. In & out. AND a free book on hearing safety.

After that, I was in semi-regular contact with the good folks at FS. They answered a dozen questions both on the phone and in emails. We talked about options, expectations, and pricing. At no point did I feel like they were trying to “close the deal”. It was always an open dialog.

If I had to complain about any aspect of FS, it would be about their website. It’s pretty bare-bones. No pictures of the color options. No explanation of what their various “bass ports” do. What are the advantages of “soft canals” over “firm canals”? Is the “Amber Citrine” translucent or solid? Etc etc. These questions WERE answered over the phone but, in this day and age….I’ve come to expect a liitle more from a website. I did mention this to (FS owner) Marty Garcia and he was very much in agreement. The website is merely an introduction to their product. The real info comes from the discussions and correspondence.
Their myspace account does not contain any info that isn’t on their official site. In my opinion, that’s another opportunity wasted. That place is CRAWLING with musicians!

After all is said and done, I felt as though “hey…if these things are good enough for Shania, Phil Collins, and Nile Rodgers…they’re good enough for me.”

THE SOUND:
I’ve been using the FS universal fit (EM3’s) onstage for years so, I thought I knew what to expect. The bottom-end on the EM3’s is massive. The bass is thick and the detail is “good enough”. It suited my needs perfectly. I just haaaated dealing with the foamies and that thin little wire.

My bass guitar and all my gear doesn’t live with me so, I immediately grabbed my iPod (video) and clicked to a track I had performed on. Something that had been professionally mixed and mastered and something I knew INTIMATELY.
The sound was simply astonishing.
No EQ. No soundcheck.
The new IEMs revealed a layer of detail that I almost forgot was there. I can only compare it to when Dorothy walked out of the black & white world and into the colorized land of OZ.
The punch and presence I was hoping would be there…was there. The only adjective I can use is; SOLID. These IEMs provide a visceral impact that is unlike other IEM’s I’ve tried. (Superfi EB’s & Shure e5)
I listened to some other tracks with varying degrees of production value. Audioslave & Ray Charles. Jellyfish and Prodigy. Steely Dan and The Cult. All sounded good. It should be stated that I have a (somewhat severe) sensitivity to treble freqs. I always find them piercing. In fact. In my entire life, I have NEVER boosted the treble on anything. Ever. I find it too painful.

The FS handled the high-end freqs differently on different recordings. Surely, the variations in the recordings themselves are the biggest factor but, with Audioslave…I used a flat EQ and it sounded fantastic. With Kamikiad (Donald Fagens 2nd solo record) it was simply too bright and I used the iPods “treble reducer” preset. This was a pattern. The hard rock tracks sounded thick and punchy, the pristine jazzier recordings had just a touch too much sizzle.

HAVING SAID THAT, when I played these same exact recording on my laptop, absolutely NO eq was needed. No treble reduction. No Bass boost. Nothin’. It sounded simply perfect.
I don’t know ANYTHING about soundcards and headphone amps but, it’s obvious that the headphone output on my laptop is lightyears beyond my iPods output. I’m not open to the idea of getting a portable hedphone amp though. I really don’t want ANOTHER item to carry around.

ONSTAGE USE:
Perfect.
That’s my whole review.
Perfect.
They handled the kickdrum and my bass easily. The sequences and tracks were detailed. My voice sounded like my own. Not at all “telephone-y”. If Futuresonics’ aim was to make the ideal onstage IEM. They have succeeded. There is a slight “subwoofer effect” with these IEMs that I wouldn’t trade for anything. Would a true audiophile find that effect “gimmicky” or “distracting”? Perhaps.

WHAT YOU GET:
A sleek cardboard box with a metallic red Futuresonics logo.
A black clamshell protective carrying case with the logo, your name, and the serial numbers on the outside.
A cleaning tool, the IEMs, and various “vents” to tailor the bass response all fit in little compartments inside the fitted/molded case.
Also, there is a little mirror glued to the inside of the case so you can see if you’ve inserted them properly. (not necessary but, thoughtful)
The cable is fantastic. It’s quite thin and it will always returns to its straight shape. It doesn’t get curly. It’s coated and lightweight. Easily my favorite cable on any headphones I’ve ever owned.
The IEMs themselves are interesting to look at. The (silver) driver inside is clearly visible. HOWEVER, the surface that the audience sees appears white. Even with the clear model, it appears white. Also, that surface is not perfectly smooth as there IS a vent there. As you can see on their website, it’s almost as if there is a little nipple on the outside. Doesn’t bother ME but, if you’re looking for that ultra modern/smooth surface, this isn’t it.

BOTTOM LINE:
If you’re a musician, I couldn’t see needing MORE performance than these IEMs provide.
If you’re a focused critical listener, I don’t know what to tell you. These might be a little too “fun”. Since I’ve not heard the UE10’s, it would be unfair of me to say anything against them.

If I can get a camera from my buddy, I will post some pix (if you’d like.)

Jul 16, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 38
Pics would be awesome...as well as a pic of how they fit in your ear. I was curious about the FS customs...but no one could comment on them. Thanks for the review

Jul 16, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 38
Nice review!!! And yes we need some pics!!!
cool.gif

Jul 17, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 38
iemkit.jpg

iemleft.jpg

iemface.jpg

iemclose.jpg

Jul 17, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 38
Oh.
As an added bonus...

I'm pretty sure that people think that IEMs are hearing aids, which means... people will leave me alone.

It happened TWO times today. Once, a greeter at a store STARTED to say "hello" and then stopped. And once on the elevator at my wifes office.

Isolation AND privacy!! Sweeet.

Jul 18, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 38
Great review! I'd like to hear a bit more on how these compare to various other IEM's and headphones that you've heard. I haven't heard the EM3, so that comparison doesn't do much for me, but I'm familiar with the E5c, E4c, ER-4P/S, and various Westone IEM's.

On a side note, it looks like they use the exact same cable as on my ES2's. If so, then you can expect it to oxidize and turn green in about a month with heavy use. Westone have an updated cable that doesn't oxidize (or maybe it's just opaque so you don't see it
cool.gif
), so that might be a replacement option.

Jul 18, 2006 at 12:42 AM Post #8 of 38
My headphone usage isn't as extensive as a lot of you guys.

The SuperFi EB's were not my cup o' tea. In my opinion, they just weren't smooth. I heard somebody here once refer to them as "peaky" which I think is the perfect word to describe them. I just couldn't get them to sound even.

I also had a brief fling with the Shure E5 or E5c, or whatever they're called. (Universal fit...yellow foamies...dual armatuer drivers)
A fellow band member wasn't using them so, I starting using them. I suppose they sounded good but, my main complaint was that they were too "airy". I couldn't get them to deliver any impact. They gave my bass guitar plenty of definition but, I didn't feel anything. It was like hearing a kickass stereo...that was located in the next room.
I was forever turning them up in an attempt to flex their muscles but, no such luck. I can get WAAAY MORE satisfaction out my new custom FS's with much less volume.

To be fair, I didn't customize the Shures AND, I never did plug them into my laptop or iPod. Only to my onstage rig.
I left the Shures with the distinct impression that they were more suited for vocalists or, for people who listen in quiet environments. I'm sure they'd do quite well in those situations.

Jul 19, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #9 of 38
Well, I went jogging today at an outdoor track.
It was quite windy.

It seems, the bass vent on the outside of the custom FS's allow an amazing amount of wind-noise into the earpiece.

All I had to do was lightly cover the vent opening with my fingers and there would be total silence. Let the opening breathe and...BAM...the sound of howling wind was being piped in to my ears.

Now, this obviously is a non-issue for everyone who plans to use these IEMs strictly indoors but, if you're a runner....it's something to consider.

BTW, it is absolutely amazing how effective the "LFV's" (low freq vents) really are. When listening normally, there is a ton of bass. When I cover the opening, it completely disappears. I mean COMPLETELY.

FS provided a few other LFVs with various sized openings but, I have yet to try them. I am 100% satisfied with the vent that comes inserted to the earpiece. The LFV's with the larger openings must be THUNDEROUS but...I haven't tried them.

Jul 20, 2006 at 7:32 AM Post #10 of 38
Sounds like the vents are also cutting into the IEM's isolation, right? Since most armature-drivered IEMs have a seamless shell with no vents of any sort.

I don't feel that the ES2 is lacking in bass impact. I did feel that the UM2 was lacking in bass definition, and definition is part of the impact, but then again, it also had a subjectively higher bass quantity than the ES2, so the overall impact was about the same. But, I'm a 'stat man, so what do I know about bass impact in the first place
lambda.gif

More bass kick than the E5... that sure sounds like one (b)a** kickin' IEM
blink.gif
redface.gif

Jul 20, 2006 at 8:52 AM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by tucker71
Well, I went jogging today at an outdoor track.
It was quite windy.

It seems, the bass vent on the outside of the custom FS's allow an amazing amount of wind-noise into the earpiece.

All I had to do was lightly cover the vent opening with my fingers and there would be total silence. Let the opening breathe and...BAM...the sound of howling wind was being piped in to my ears.

Now, this obviously is a non-issue for everyone who plans to use these IEMs strictly indoors but, if you're a runner....it's something to consider.

BTW, it is absolutely amazing how effective the "LFV's" (low freq vents) really are. When listening normally, there is a ton of bass. When I cover the opening, it completely disappears. I mean COMPLETELY.

FS provided a few other LFVs with various sized openings but, I have yet to try them. I am 100% satisfied with the vent that comes inserted to the earpiece. The LFV's with the larger openings must be THUNDEROUS but...I haven't tried them.

You might want to check with the fit. That shouldn't happen at all. My UEs are great outside...if I'm not careful, I could really get hit.

Jul 22, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #12 of 38
tucker71, thank you very much for the review. As a fellow GTA resident, I cannot thank you enough for the The Musicians Clinic link.

Glad you like the FutureSonics, not too many reviews of them here.
Quick question, how did the package get through customs, did you pay any brokerage/GST fees on it?

Jul 22, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #13 of 38
JAZZY,
Actually the fit is excellent. No complaints there.
The situation here is, the FS monitors have a tiny vent that is DESIGNED to let a very small amount of air into the earpiece. I guess, dynamic drivers actually NEED a certain amount of air behind them...I really don't know the reasoning. I'm sure somebody around here can inform us.

Aaanyway, because the LFV allows air in, it's only logical that, when it's windy, you would hear all that moving air "scraping" against the vent. (not unlike when you are in a moving car and you open the window just a tiny crack. It makes quite a bit of noise.)

CATSCRATCH,
I'm actually quite happy with the noise reduction. I honestly don't think that hole permits any real noise into the earpiece. As you can see in the picture above, that opening is the size of a pinhole. If that. I mean...it doesn't even look like an opening in that photo! I asked Marty at FS that exact question "do the vents reduce isolation?" and he said that almost no ambient noise passes through the vent. I believe his exact words were "a microscopic amount......maybe"

t10,
Talk with anyone at FS about shipping options and duty. They are, shall we say, very understanding to our (canadian) plight.

Aug 30, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #14 of 38
I hate to resurrect my own (dead) thread but...on the off-chance that some people here were still considering purchasing a set of FS customs...I have an update.

After about two months of use...I've come to realize something.

The actual SOUND is still great but, ONLY when I use them indoors.

As I mentioned a little earlier in this thread, there is a small vent/opening on the outside of the earpiece (to allow the diapraghm to properly function) and it lets an incredible amount of wind-noise into the earpiece. A distracting amount.

I go running every day and there is always at least SOME wind. Everyday I am annoyed at the amount of "howling" that is being piped directly into my eardrums.
I use them onstage...and I am completely satisfied. I use them outdoors, and I am, shall we say, displeased.

FS provides a completely solid vent that you can put in there but, when that sealed vent is inserted ALL the low-end disappears. What was once a "boom" is now a "click". When you put in the vent with the opening...you get the bass freqs back but, now you've gotta deal with the wind.

It's not really a FLAW. As I said several times...my main usage would be for onstage monitoring, and in that capacity, they really do shine.

This is just a word of caution to anyone that plans to use these IEMs in the outside world.

Aug 30, 2006 at 3:26 AM Post #15 of 38
thanks for the update.

By the way, just interests, when you use it on stage, do you wear them in both of your ears or just one?

Do you direct your own voice track into the FS IEM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back