custom earmoulds for Ety ER-4
Feb 13, 2003 at 2:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

hazmat

100+ Head-Fier
I have the ER-4Ps and absolutely love them. The other day I changed the silicon ear tips to clean the old ones. Since I put new ones on, I am feeling like I am not always getting a good seal anymore, especially when I move my mouth around with them in. Since I bought them at Scientific Plastics in NYC, I can get custom earmoulds made for $30 for them. Anyone have any opinions on this for or against? I'm wondering how the custom ones affect all aspects. Sound quality, seal, etc. Obviously I'm asking mostly because I am hoping for a more consistent seal.

Thanks.

-Ken

Feb 13, 2003 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 8
Michael Santucci at Sensaphonics does custom molds for the ER4, but in order to use them he says you must break the nozzle off, making it only a custom piece from that point on. Talk to the people at Scientific Plastics to find out if they do this too.

-Matt

Feb 13, 2003 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 8
I had custom molds made for me from Westone. While both seal and sound improved noticeably, the molds ended up breaking the tubes off. I had to get warranty work done by etymotic (ie, they replaced both my drivers..) IMHO, the molds were too risky to put back on, so I'm back to foamies/rubbers. Also while the molds perfectly fit your ears, you tend to notice them more because they have a much greater mass. It not only fills up the canal, but the cup of your ear as well.

If you're just after a better seal, etymotic does have larger diameter foamies available. Send them an email to see what they have.

Feb 13, 2003 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 8
I think the folks at Sensaphonics break the nozzle off to avoid the potential of it breaking off during use.

Feb 13, 2003 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 8
I was thinking about ordering custom earmolds, but since you guys said they all break off the nozzles........ i changed my mind

NOBODY HURTS MY ETYS!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 20, 2003 at 4:05 PM Post #7 of 8
Well this is part of the reply from Etymotic:

"Yes, it is true I have seen a few returns for service with broken stems. I believe some portion of the earmolds should have been checked or examined better for fit."

I am still thinking about them since I feel that after moving around I lose some seal and am always playing with them. And I do mostly use the Etys while moving around. Another question is how comfortable are custom moulds compared to the silicon ones from Etymotic?

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back