Custom ear enclosure - like SLR cameras.
Oct 24, 2008 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

accurate_dB

Banned
It seems there is increasing demands for IEM that fit and stay firmly planted in the ear. And custom ear impressioning appears to be the solution of choice.
I found these companies here on headfi:
livewiresforyou.com
hearyourself.com
freqonline.com (renovating until 2009)
ultimateears.com
westone.com

Well I thought, how about this IEM industry standardizing the insertion format, such that the consumer can benefit from the simplification of finding an IEM that fits and thereby leaving behind the bulk of the consumers' selection criteria to focus on the quality of the audio.

We know in SLR cameras the lens can be replaced interchangeably with different performing lens, whether it be wide angle or zoom lens.
Since each of us consumers' ears are fixed for life, I see no reason why we would not consider an investment in an ear impression that conforms to a standard where a multitude of IEMs subscribe to.

How about IEM rolling in the future?

Oct 24, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #2 of 10
It *might* work as it takes quite a bit of effort to even get these companies to get together and work things out.

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 10
You mean like customs without drivers to be used as a kind of iem tip? would be fun to try out different iems but then again it may look pretty weird cause the iems will stick out a lot more...

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #4 of 10
Well if you're comparing it to SLRs, they are already the same.

[Insert Brand Here] has their own tips , and work fine with their phones and all of that.

Same with SLRs, there are different lenses, but try and hook up a Nikon lens with a Canon.

I do get what you mean, but the SLR analogy wasn't perfect.

Oct 25, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #5 of 10
Am I the only one who doesnt quite get what this thread is about..? Are you suggesting that IEMs should standardise on connectors? Or that the custom IEM companies should come together to make some kind of super-custom..

I am confused, I think I need more sleep...

Oct 25, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by gradesm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean like customs without drivers to be used as a kind of iem tip? would be fun to try out different iems but then again it may look pretty weird cause the iems will stick out a lot more...

there is already custom IEM tips available.

Oct 26, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by accurate_dB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me guess the custom IEM tips only works with that one IEM.

im not 100% sure so dont quote me on this but im sure you can get your own tips made by sensaphonics and westone that will fit your ears only and more than one set of phones, im sure somebody must have a pic floating about on here to back my point up on this.

ive not got the tips myself but have seen custom tips on some se530 and they sure do stick out alot more than stock as would be expected.
beyersmile.png

Oct 26, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #10 of 10
One custom earpiece with a relatively large (8-12mm across?) hole in it, takes adapters - little pieces that go in the hole and are held in by friction or a nob or something, and then those pieces are the right size for specific IEMs. Essentially, one universal custom fit piece with adapters for specific sizes of IEMs. No, I do not know what no company has thought of this yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back