Custom Art Music Two CIEM Review
Jun 27, 2015 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Kagerou

Head-Fier
THIS IS AN AMATEUR REVIEW
The Process: I've always loved my music, so I've always been looking for better ways to enjoy it. My first pair of "good" Headphones are the Sennheiser HD598's. Then, for convenience to use in school, I got the Ultimate Ears Triple-Fi 10's. After a few good months of usage, I ended up having to sell the UEs due to monetary issues. After that I didn't buy any "good" IEMs and instead used the cheap Apple earbuds that come with the phone.
Last November, I purchased a pair of Sony MDR-EX1000's and fell back in love with using higher end IEMs. So I went to |joker|'s headphone list and found his reviews on the Music Ones. The thing that stuck out to me was the price and how highly it was rated. If I recall correctly, the CIEM that was rated 1 space higher costed at least double and lost out on comfort and isolation.

So after some research I decided to buy the Music Two's from Piotrus-G or Piotr. I originally looked at Acrylic but because I realized I would probably have them in my ears for long periods at a time, I decided to go with Silicon ones. These are my first ever pair of CIEMs so I pestered him with endless questions and he answered all of them for me (cannot stress enough how excellent customer service was.) I actually had my molds made before even ordering the CIEMs (which I got lucky with because I found an audiologist in my area off of the Ultimate Ears website and he knew what he was doing) Anyways, my order was placed on May 15th, I sent my molds out on the 20th and they were received by Piotr on the 22nd. I was nervous about the wait time because I am going to Taiwan next tuesday (7/1) and if the CIEMs came after that I'd have to find someone to bring them to me or ship them to me.

On June 8th (a little more than 2 weeks later) I contacted Piotr for a status update. At that time he said it may be another 3 weeks, which would make them completed around the 29th, which is a little too close for me (remember, I'm heading out of the country for a month and a half) So on the 13th I let Piotr know if they are completed in June, I would need them to be shipped to my address in Taiwan instead. He let me know that my CIEMs were entering production and should be done by the end of that week. On the 21st, he told me that it would be another few days and apologized for the delay. On the 24th he let me know that he didn't see that I wanted faceplates so that added another day to production and they would be shipped out the following day (the 25th, the Thursday that just passed.) 

On the 26th (Yesterday!) I did indeed receive my tracking number and they arrived yesterday (1 day of shipping, from Poland to NYC) According to Piotr, I hold the record :wink: (I just got very lucky)
What arrived:

It arrived in a pelican case, demoisturizer, cleaning tool and a smaller blue portable case, basically what's in the pictures.
Not pictured is the sleek little pamphlet with instructions, thanks, warranty, production date and contact info. I had him do Black/White Icewood on each ear, the shell color I asked for a "Van Gogh's Starry Night motif" (being the showoff I am) and I think the guys at Custom Art knocked it out of the park.

How they wear: I had already done some research on how to insert CIEMs so placing them in wasn't a problem. The seal was perfect. During my first listen I did not drive them at all, straight from my iPhone 5S, mainly because this is probably how I will be doing the majority of my listening. An unforeseen problem (by me) was how to take them out. I'll admit there was a moment when I said "Welp, guess I'm living with CIEMs in my ears from now on." I did manage to take them out eventually though. After a song or two you don't even feel the CIEMs there anymore.

Music: I tried to pick a good variety in my playlist. My set up is simple MacBook Pro+Breeze Audio 1969 Headphone Amp (solid state)
Welcome to the Black Parade by My Chemical Romance Genre: Alternative Rock/Pop Punk
I chose this song due to it's orchestral composition transitioning to a guitar riff heavy section, with heavy male vocals in the tenor region.
I was able to pick up a detail I've never heard before: The sound of a clock ticking in the background during the first ~10 seconds. The guitar riff sounds heavier and I am more able to pick apart the differences in the sounds(Also, these haven't been through proper burn in time yet, so this is performing right out of box)

Lost One's Weeping by Kagamine Rin Genre: Vocaloid Rock/Electric
I chose this one because of the heavy bass riffs in the backgrounds plus the trebly nature of the Vocaloid's voice. The treble, unlike my Sony's, is not piercing and is a lot less fatiguing (imo) which is a plus. The headspace and detail is also impressive for and instantly recognizable, as Vocaloid songs, this one not being an exception, tend to be heavily layered, so with poorer IEMs the background music and instruments will sound melded together. The high hat and drums are a lot more pronounced, the bass response smoother and easier to hear.

Under the Bridge by Red Hot Chili Peppers Genre: Alternative Rock
I chose this one for Flea's bass playing. RHCP mixing tends to make their bass more prominent, as he is the (highly skilled) rhythmic anchor of their group. The guitar, vocals, drums and bass are nicely separated, none of them sounded melded together. It sounded very clean, each instrument easily distinguishable. It may not seem like a big difference, but if you've heard something like this, you'd know what a big deal it is.

Itoshigo Yo by Rurutia Genre: J-Pop(? questionable, more like soulful singing)
I chose this(creepy) song for the female vocals, which go from a mid range singing to a high range throughout the song. It has an electric guitar on low gain in the background. With these the crunch of the hum buckers really come through. The layered chorus and harmonies throughout the song sound THAT much better. The bass is more laid back on this track, the drums are THERE but not punchy. I'd say the Mids and Highs really shine on this particular song.

​Wonderwall by Oasis Genre: Britpop
I chose this song because I am fan of the vocalists voice, the slight roughness/scratchiness comes through beautifully. The cello is smooth and amazing, not being overpowered by the drums at all. The drums remains rather in the background, however. No additional details I noticed, more like it sounds way better than before.

Rokuchounen to Ichiya Monogatari by IA Genre: Vocaloid
I chose this song because it has one of the most complex layering of instruments and effects I've ever heard and it's treble heavy. The Vocaloid's voice is known for being airy. The bass is good and punchy in this particular track and as stated before, I can easily pick apart each layer of the song, even during the fast chorus part. Before, using my Sony's it sounded as if IA was singing extremely fast as well, but with the Music Twos I can tell that the background instruments and effects flow a lot faster than her voice.

In Conclusion: Out of the box, the Mids and Highs are amazing, transparent and clear. The Bass is slightly more laid back, but I'm confident it will be more prominent after the appropriate burn in time. The details are, again, amazing. The fit is outstanding. I cannot stress that enough.
I don't regret this purchase at all and I know I'll love it more and more as it burns in.
Thank you for reading! Constructive Criticism and Song requests are heavily encouraged!

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #10 of 30
  Could you please elaborate on the bass? How does it sound? How do you feel it compares to other IEMs?

The bass(now 2 months in) is nice and punchy, it sounds more on the warm end. It's developed and became more prominent. The bass is detailed and fat.
It's warmer compared to the Sennheiser HD 598's and more detailed compared to the Sony MDR-EX1000's.

Aug 19, 2015 at 2:55 AM Post #12 of 30
Thanks. How speedy/detailed/tight is the bass? And how analytical do you think the M2 is?

The M2 is not analytical (imo) it's more "fun" It's detailed, but not as tight as some others. Again, I'm an amateur so this is based off limited testing at shows, from friends etc. 
In other words, you can clearly hear the bass and the detail of it, it's punchy and fast, but it may slip just slightly towards the end.

Sep 9, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #13 of 30

The M2 is not analytical (imo) it's more "fun" It's detailed, but not as tight as some others. Again, I'm an amateur so this is based off limited testing at shows, from friends etc. 
In other words, you can clearly hear the bass and the detail of it, it's punchy and fast, but it may slip just slightly towards the end.

It is fun indeed and also good value IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back