Custom Art Music Two CIEM Review
Nov 10, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #16 of 30
  In Conclusion: Out of the box, the Mids and Highs are amazing, transparent and clear. The Bass is slightly more laid back, but I'm confident it will be more prominent after the appropriate burn in time.

Balanced Armature drivers don't burn in. Trust me, I've tried despite knowing this fact hoping for the best when I bought the Shure SE535. They don't burn in, so the only thing you can hope for is that your brain will get used to the way they sound and you simply learn to enjoy them. I also bought a pair and I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival.

They M2 are essentially for audiophiles, so are geared more for enjoyment than for reference. I think a lot of what Custom Art makes are intended for that purpose, and it's only the PRO stuff, like the 330V2 or the Harmony 8 PRO that is more suited for reference listening.

Great review! I'm glad I bought the M2. Was also considering the Ei.3 but went with this instead.

Nov 16, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #18 of 30
  Balanced Armature drivers don't burn in. Trust me, I've tried despite knowing this fact hoping for the best when I bought the Shure SE535. They don't burn in, so the only thing you can hope for is that your brain will get used to the way they sound and you simply learn to enjoy them. I also bought a pair and I'm eagerly awaiting their arrival.

They M2 are essentially for audiophiles, so are geared more for enjoyment than for reference. I think a lot of what Custom Art makes are intended for that purpose, and it's only the PRO stuff, like the 330V2 or the Harmony 8 PRO that is more suited for reference listening.

Great review! I'm glad I bought the M2. Was also considering the Ei.3 but went with this instead.

The M2's are definitely great. I originally wanted the Harmony 8 so it wouldn't have the treble boost, but just don't have the funds atm. Suffice to say I'm really enjoying them. I want to get Roxanne's next! but yeesh they cost a pretty penny!
Thanks for reading!

Nov 16, 2015 at 9:18 PM Post #19 of 30
  The M2's are definitely great. I originally wanted the Harmony 8 so it wouldn't have the treble boost, but just don't have the funds atm. Suffice to say I'm really enjoying them. I want to get Roxanne's next! but yeesh they cost a pretty penny!
Thanks for reading!

Honestly, you can get caught up with the endless desires for upgrades and stuff. It's all pretty pointless because the objective should be to enjoy the music not the equipment. It becomes an endless loop of seeking perfection if not seeking "upgrades". After spending a ton of money on audio at this point, with my last investments going to the Ei.XX, Music Two, m9XX (another massdrop special) I've pretty much had it with the entire pursuit of perfection. Perfection is in the mind and I'm starting to envy people who find contentment in their "petty" iPods and ibuds. There is no way to go back that way, and it's too late. I can only hope not to push myself anymore further forward than I already have. 

A word to the wise; if you're happy with what you have, don't go looking for upgrades. That's where things can come apart at the seams. If you're happy with your Music Two, then consider yourself lucky and don't look at the Roxannes or the Harmony 8 unless you're certain you can end it there. It's not so much that you must end it there, but that you know you can control the urge. It's like having a glass of wine and convincing yourself that you can end it there; managing it will determine whether you can enjoy that glass or relapse into alcoholism. 

For me the struggles are very real. Lol. 

Nov 16, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #20 of 30
  Honestly, you can get caught up with the endless desires for upgrades and stuff. It's all pretty pointless because the objective should be to enjoy the music not the equipment. It becomes an endless loop of seeking perfection if not seeking "upgrades". After spending a ton of money on audio at this point, with my last investments going to the Ei.XX, Music Two, m9XX (another massdrop special) I've pretty much had it with the entire pursuit of perfection. Perfection is in the mind and I'm starting to envy people who find contentment in their "petty" iPods and ibuds. There is no way to go back that way, and it's too late. I can only hope not to push myself anymore further forward than I already have. 

A word to the wise; if you're happy with what you have, don't go looking for upgrades. That's where things can come apart at the seams. If you're happy with your Music Two, then consider yourself lucky and don't look at the Roxannes or the Harmony 8 unless you're certain you can end it there. It's not so much that you must end it there, but that you know you can control the urge. It's like having a glass of wine and convincing yourself that you can end it there; managing it will determine whether you can enjoy that glass or relapse into alcoholism. 

Fair point ahaha... That's definitely true. I am fairly content with the M2's, the Roxanne's are just if suddenly I have a windfall to blow money on... What are the M9XX?

Nov 16, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #21 of 30
  Fair point ahaha... That's definitely true. I am fairly content with the M2's, the Roxanne's are just if suddenly I have a windfall to blow money on... What are the M9XX?

Not sure I should tell you. To protect you. Lol.

It's basically a DAC/AMP combo designed in collaboration between Massdrop and Grace Designs. If you are not familiar with the brand, Grace Design is a professional microphone amplifier, reference DAC and amplifier manufacturer. Their line of products are pretty limited and selective, but earn top marks in their class and field. Basically there has never been a disappointed Grace Design customer; unlike the Benchmark stuff. To be completely honest, I myself had never heard of them prior to Massdrop's unveiling but I joined the drop anyway. It was a pretty impressive sell at 260 units in the first drop (with hardly any reviews on the unit available to buyers) and at 499.99 MSRP it's not cheap either. It's at least by principle, a reduced model of their m920 flagship DAC/amplifier but with all the professional proprietary stuff removed to bring the price down. Current MSRP for the m920 is around 1895 and I think ~1500 street price. So you can see the appeal. I was originally on the drop for the Objective 2 and ODAC to go with the M2 and Ei.XX but decided to go with the Grace Design since I probably won't be selling it any time soon and upgraded as a sort of last hoorah. I'm taking a LONG break from upgradatitis now. No more stuff for me. 

Nov 17, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #22 of 30
  Not sure I should tell you. To protect you. Lol.

It's basically a DAC/AMP combo designed in collaboration between Massdrop and Grace Designs. If you are not familiar with the brand, Grace Design is a professional microphone amplifier, reference DAC and amplifier manufacturer. Their line of products are pretty limited and selective, but earn top marks in their class and field. Basically there has never been a disappointed Grace Design customer; unlike the Benchmark stuff. To be completely honest, I myself had never heard of them prior to Massdrop's unveiling but I joined the drop anyway. It was a pretty impressive sell at 260 units in the first drop (with hardly any reviews on the unit available to buyers) and at 499.99 MSRP it's not cheap either. It's at least by principle, a reduced model of their m920 flagship DAC/amplifier but with all the professional proprietary stuff removed to bring the price down. Current MSRP for the m920 is around 1895 and I think ~1500 street price. So you can see the appeal. I was originally on the drop for the Objective 2 and ODAC to go with the M2 and Ei.XX but decided to go with the Grace Design since I probably won't be selling it any time soon and upgraded as a sort of last hoorah. I'm taking a LONG break from upgradatitis now. No more stuff for me. 

I see hahaha, I don't think I'll get it. My last hoorah will be an upgrade from M2 then I'm done. I already have my grail headphones.

Feb 24, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #24 of 30

Thank you, that's the mission of my company - just enjoy music, endless purchasing and listening to gear is pointless. I couldn't be happier reading this. Thanks!

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:40 AM Post #29 of 30
Thank you, that's the mission of my company - just enjoy music, endless purchasing and listening to gear is pointless. I couldn't be happier reading this. Thanks!

Piotr, I still don't know how you managed to do it. The M2 are so good that they pretty much leave all other IEMs that I've owned in the dust. Doesn't matter if they are dual or triple driver models. The M2 are just so sublime. In fact, I think that you may have made the M2 a bit too good. I find myself reaching for the M2 a lot more often than I do the Ei.XX. 

Feb 28, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #30 of 30
Piotr, I still don't know how you managed to do it. The M2 are so good that they pretty much leave all other IEMs that I've owned in the dust. Doesn't matter if they are dual or triple driver models. The M2 are just so sublime. In fact, I think that you may have made the M2 a bit too good. I find myself reaching for the M2 a lot more often than I do the Ei.XX. 

Kwangsun, can you give me a sound comparison between the music 2 and Ei.3, I'm looking to have my first ciem, cheers, Lee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back