Custom Art + AAW : Project 4+2
Mar 10, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #92 of 142
Mar 10, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #94 of 142
Hey all, sorry for the delay. I wanted to give myself a little more time to get acquainted with these before putting more thoughts down. I don't count myself as a top tier reviewer and I don't normally do "analytical" listening and mainly just listen for fun, so I will also likely not be super precise in how I describe things and may be slightly off with exactly how I describe things.

My listening here has been pretty much exclusively with the bass module as it's closest to my personal preferences. The differences I hear between the bass and normal filter are pretty small too. Honestly didn't even try the vokal filter as I know it won't be to my preferences.

I should also say upfront that I definitely lean more towards the bass head side of things. I tend to often listen at lower-ish volumes, so I like bass to be rich and full so it still shines through without having to crank the volume up.

Treble is pretty smooth here. No sibilance or harshness that I can hear. Extension seems decent as far as I can tell. There's a bit of a sparkle and some nice air.

Mids are well represented in the mix. Guitars and other instruments sound natural with a good bit of weight behind them. Vocals as well.

Bass is a bit north of neutral. And when the song calls for it, it certainly makes itself known. Subbass extension though could be better as it's missing a bit of that physicality and rumble I personally like. There were definitely some tracks where bass hits felt flatter than I would like.

Separation and staging seem pretty good and inline with the cost. Soundstage is about on par too. Some nice width and stereo separation there with occasional hints of height cues. Overall pretty good in these categories.

I think these are probably much more "neutral" than others I listen too. Certainly not dead flat, with enough flavor to keep them interesting, even if not completely to my preferences.

A nice thing with these is that they have also manages to pull elements from songs I don't normally hear (or likely pay much attention to). So that's always nice to get in a new pair of iems.

I also want to do a quick comparison with the nio. With the mx module, these two pairs are more similar than different. Treble on the nio retains it's smooth character and compared to the 4+2 is maybe slightly better controlled and less sharp. Might be a positive or negative depending on who you ask. Mids seem a bit more full on the nio. Comparing to the mx on the nio, the 4+2 with bass module is a bit bassier. Both iems there are missing a bit of that subbass that I like. The nio with m15 module is significantly bassier and warmer and has that rumble and physicality I like that comes with well extended subbass.

Also a quick comparison with the dorado. Though I would say these are less similar. Bass on the dorado is bigger, boomier, and more physical. Mids are a bit thinner on the dorado, though with the more solid low end the dorado is noticeably warmer. Treble is somewhat similar, with a bit of sharpness there present on both that's not there with the nio.

Some non audio stuff. Again, the overall package is nice. The included null audio cable is quite nice. The faceplates are gorgeous with the blue and purple swirls. Though obviously if you don't like bling they may not be for you. As I mentioned before they are quite large, but are fairly lightweight which helps. My ears are picky and they are unfortunately a bit too large for me and become uncomfortable after a bit of time. But I also know that I seem to have more trouble with fit than most around here.

They may not be a keeper for me. They are quite nice and have a lot of qualities I like, but the nio still just hits my preferences better, and has better subbass extension (with the right apex modules) which I just find myself wishing there was more on the 4+2. And given that there are a number of similarities and that the nio fits me better (especially with the custom art custom tips), I think the nio will still likely get most of my ear time.

And here are a few pictures! My phone camera had a bit of a hard time capturing the purple (so the first image is a bit enhanced). They look better in real life here than my camera could capture. And too lazy to get my dslr set up for a real shoot.

PXL_20210310_150614791.jpgPXL_20210310_151705402.jpgPXL_20210310_151713587.jpg

So yea, I do my best to sound like I know what I am talking about. Hope others may find this useful.

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #95 of 142
Hey all, sorry for the delay. I wanted to give myself a little more time to get acquainted with these before putting more thoughts down. I don't count myself as a top tier reviewer and I don't normally do "analytical" listening and mainly just listen for fun, so I will also likely not be super precise in how I describe things and may be slightly off with exactly how I describe things.

My listening here has been pretty much exclusively with the bass module as it's closest to my personal preferences. The differences I hear between the bass and normal filter are pretty small too. Honestly didn't even try the vokal filter as I know it won't be to my preferences.

I should also say upfront that I definitely lean more towards the bass head side of things. I tend to often listen at lower-ish volumes, so I like bass to be rich and full so it still shines through without having to crank the volume up.

Treble is pretty smooth here. No sibilance or harshness that I can hear. Extension seems decent as far as I can tell. There's a bit of a sparkle and some nice air.

Mids are well represented in the mix. Guitars and other instruments sound natural with a good bit of weight behind them. Vocals as well.

Bass is a bit north of neutral. And when the song calls for it, it certainly makes itself known. Subbass extension though could be better as it's missing a bit of that physicality and rumble I personally like. There were definitely some tracks where bass hits felt flatter than I would like.

Separation and staging seem pretty good and inline with the cost. Soundstage is about on par too. Some nice width and stereo separation there with occasional hints of height cues. Overall pretty good in these categories.

I think these are probably much more "neutral" than others I listen too. Certainly not dead flat, with enough flavor to keep them interesting, even if not completely to my preferences.

A nice thing with these is that they have also manages to pull elements from songs I don't normally hear (or likely pay much attention to). So that's always nice to get in a new pair of iems.

I also want to do a quick comparison with the nio. With the mx module, these two pairs are more similar than different. Treble on the nio retains it's smooth character and compared to the 4+2 is maybe slightly better controlled and less sharp. Might be a positive or negative depending on who you ask. Mids seem a bit more full on the nio. Comparing to the mx on the nio, the 4+2 with bass module is a bit bassier. Both iems there are missing a bit of that subbass that I like. The nio with m15 module is significantly bassier and warmer and has that rumble and physicality I like that comes with well extended subbass.

Also a quick comparison with the dorado. Though I would say these are less similar. Bass on the dorado is bigger, boomier, and more physical. Mids are a bit thinner on the dorado, though with the more solid low end the dorado is noticeably warmer. Treble is somewhat similar, with a bit of sharpness there present on both that's not there with the nio.

Some non audio stuff. Again, the overall package is nice. The included null audio cable is quite nice. The faceplates are gorgeous with the blue and purple swirls. Though obviously if you don't like bling they may not be for you. As I mentioned before they are quite large, but are fairly lightweight which helps. My ears are picky and they are unfortunately a bit too large for me and become uncomfortable after a bit of time. But I also know that I seem to have more trouble with fit than most around here.

They may not be a keeper for me. They are quite nice and have a lot of qualities I like, but the nio still just hits my preferences better, and has better subbass extension (with the right apex modules) which I just find myself wishing there was more on the 4+2. And given that there are a number of similarities and that the nio fits me better (especially with the custom art custom tips), I think the nio will still likely get most of my ear time.

And here are a few pictures! My phone camera had a bit of a hard time capturing the purple (so the first image is a bit enhanced). They look better in real life here than my camera could capture. And too lazy to get my dslr set up for a real shoot.

So yea, I do my best to sound like I know what I am talking about. Hope others may find this useful.
What about the soundstage, separation, and air in the 4+2 compared to Nio?

Mar 10, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #96 of 142
What about the soundstage, separation, and air in the 4+2 compared to Nio?
Those are things that are very hard for me to quantify.

The nio would likely take it overall, but by a small margin, as these things are always small. Nio of course is also more than double the price.

For air, the nio is a bit better extended, but the extra treble peaks the 4+2 has helps to keep it close there, at least as I hear and describe it.

Separation may depend on the apex module used on the nio. I would say the nio probably has an edge here technically. But if you are using the m15 or m20 module the sound signature is shifted to be much more warm, and that warmth kind of permeates everything and sort of fills things in a bit if that makes sense.

Soundstage isn't necessarily that one is better or worse. Again with the m15 or m20 modules with bass that kind of fills things in. Though if I have to generalize the nio is a little more enveloping while the 4+2 is more about width.

Again though, I'm trying real hard here to describe things that I really struggle to hear differences on between different pairs. Again though, hope it's helpful!

Mar 11, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #97 of 142

Hey! Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it greatly.

Here's the trick... if you want more sub-bass, use a bit of blue tack and close the bass port completely. It will boost everything below 80Hz by 3-4dBs. :wink:

Mar 11, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #98 of 142
Hey! Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it greatly.

Here's the trick... if you want more sub-bass, use a bit of blue tack and close the bass port completely. It will boost everything below 80Hz by 3-4dBs. :wink:
I'll give it a try! Well, I'm going to start with tape I think since I imagine it's a lot easier to cleanup and less permanent than shoving some bluetack in there.

Mar 11, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #100 of 142

Did you try changing the filters? I believe it has 3 sets of filters?

Mar 11, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #101 of 142
Did you try changing the filters? I believe it has 3 sets of filters?
Yea, I said it in my post. Most impressions were with the bass filter. I didn't find the differences between the bass and normal too pronounced, but I also haven't tried the vokal filter since if both were already light on bass for my preference the vokal will almost certainly be worse still for my preferences.

Mar 11, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #102 of 142
Yea, I said it in my post. Most impressions were with the bass filter. I didn't find the differences between the bass and normal too pronounced, but I also haven't tried the vokal filter since if both were already light on bass for my preference the vokal will almost certainly be worse still for my preferences.
True...true...

Mar 11, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #103 of 142
Still use my FIBAE4 pretty much daily, despite no longer living a public transit lifestyle. Wish I didn't know about this release lol looking forward to impressions.

Mar 11, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #104 of 142
Still use my FIBAE4 pretty much daily, despite no longer living a public transit lifestyle. Wish I didn't know about this release lol looking forward to impressions.
Don’t forget ca has another release upcoming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back