Custom AKG V-Moda Boom Pro Adapter (Testers Wanted)
Aug 9, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #46 of 247
Definitely understand that. Have you used it with an amplifier as well or would you say one is necessary? I got one based on the suggestions in MLE's thread for the q701s. Right now the adapter is working great I just get occasional audio cutouts. Only played with battlefield 4 so far, but I will try other games tonight. Of course battlefield has many issues of its own still.

Yeeeeeeah the XBO is headphone-unfriendly in a lot of ways, funny that MS had to make headphone/headset gaming even harder rather than easier with their new console.

Even a basic amp makes a significant and obvious improvement with the Q701's, and the headphone quality keeps scaling up with more expensive gear. If you wanna hear an amped Q701 on a budget, try the new FiiO E11K, but in my opinion Tube amps are where it's at (Project Starlight and up) and you can use different tubes to get just the sound you want.

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #47 of 247
  Wow read this thread and that adapter is exactly what I'm looking for. Is this available for sale?

@ Spartan Didn't the V-Moda come with a Y adapter? I'm looking to use it on the one as well but instead of a mixamp I use a Yamama receiver. Its a mixamp on steroids!

I'd like to get more feedback from you if you got it work properly.

Yes, it did come with a Y adapter(female into 2 male ends).  I did get things to work finally, the issue I was having is with my amplifier but I do have it running fine through my astro 5.8 mixamp. 

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #48 of 247
So I would definitely recommend this adapter and will be passing it on to the next tester this week.  However, I think I have decided I want to get rid of my Q701's.  Don't get me wrong, they sound amazing and I have no complaints with the headband bumps.  However, I have a big head (no pun intended) and realized after playing with them for long periods it starts to hurt.  So I can't trade comfort for good sound.  I don't use them enough to justify all the extra cables either but I have been eyeing the new turtle beach x500 since they are actually wireless. I know they won't have the sound I have been used to but I like having the option of being completely wireless.  Anyway, I wanted to give anyone in here the first opportunity to buy/trade if interested. Not sure how much I will sell for but I would include the boom pro and possibly the amp. Will list in classifieds next week.  

Aug 13, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #49 of 247
So I would definitely recommend this adapter and will be passing it on to the next tester this week.  However, I think I have decided I want to get rid of my Q701's.  Don't get me wrong, they sound amazing and I have no complaints with the headband bumps.  However, I have a big head (no pun intended) and realized after playing with them for long periods it starts to hurt.  So I can't trade comfort for good sound.  I don't use them enough to justify all the extra cables either but I have been eyeing the new turtle beach x500 since they are actually wireless. I know they won't have the sound I have been used to but I like having the option of being completely wireless.  Anyway, I wanted to give anyone in here the first opportunity to buy/trade if interested. Not sure how much I will sell for but I would include the boom pro and possibly the amp. Will list in classifieds next week.  

What amp are you running with them?

Aug 14, 2014 at 5:57 AM Post #51 of 247
Just curious, I am planning on getting an AKG K712 and modding a mic on it... 

Few questions:

1. What are the pros and cons of the V-MODA BoomPro vs the ModMic besides the fact that the V-MODA BoomPro can be put on and removed more easily?

2. I see that the mini XLR goes into the headset, but how will the V-MODA BoomPro be able to plug into the headset if it's a male headset connector on the other side? Doesn't the V-MODA BoomPro need a female headphone jack?

Aug 14, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #52 of 247
  Just curious, I am planning on getting an AKG K712 and modding a mic on it... 

Few questions:

1. What are the pros and cons of the V-MODA BoomPro vs the ModMic besides the fact that the V-MODA BoomPro can be put on and removed more easily?

2. I see that the mini XLR goes into the headset, but how will the V-MODA BoomPro be able to plug into the headset if it's a male headset connector on the other side? Doesn't the V-MODA BoomPro need a female headphone jack?

1. With V-Moda Boom Pro You only have one cable going from Your headphones instead of two which terminates in a single 4 pole jack (adapter for two minijacks is included)
With ModMic You have to cables dangling from Your headphones

2. The adapter turns mini XLR on the headphones into female headphone jack so it works perfectly

Aug 14, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #55 of 247
  Haven't used the boom pro personally but I have the ModMic and the sound quality is gorgeous

I think having a separate cable could actually come in handy since I am planning on using an amp and use the microphone in function of a soundcard... Otherwise I'd have to put my amp at the back of my computer (with a typical Y splitter) or I'd have to use JUST the headset part of my headset/microphone extension cable.

Aug 14, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #56 of 247
Or You could just buy a single minijack extension cable so it would run like this:

Headphones => V-Moda Boom Pro => y-splitter => headphone end => amp on the desk

Headphones => V-Moda Boom Pro => y-splitter => microhpone end => minijack extension => back of the computer case

Sep 4, 2014 at 6:37 PM Post #57 of 247
So is this adapter making the rounds yet, or is someone bogarting it?

Sep 4, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #58 of 247
Spartan,

Did you mail it to the next participant? If not please do so.

Sep 4, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #59 of 247
That would be me :frowning2:

I do have the adapter packaged and ready to ship.  Contacting next person in line to get shipping address.

I'll keep the review part short ... it works.  And I'll be buying two when they're available.

Slightly longer .... I tried the adapter with my AKG 712's.  With my PC, AV receiver, and phone.  In each case it worked flawlessly for both media (music and movies) and voice communications (Skype, Mumble, and Steam).  Set up was easy.  The only real difference i had was connecting the adapter to the headphones - the adapter wasn't as smooth for me compared to the stock cable and connector.  Take that with a grain of salt though.  I am definitely not saying it is difficult, just in comparison not as smooth for me.  Also, this is my first headphones with this type of connection and I would definitely not consider myself "smooth" :D

In the meantime till others get the adpater here are a few snapshots of it installed and in use.

Again, sorry for the delay, and I'll get to the post office ASAP once I have the next address.

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #60 of 247
Three weeks later, where's it at now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back