Custom AKG V-Moda Boom Pro Adapter (Testers Wanted)
Aug 7, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #33 of 247
I should have the adapter later today, just received an update on the tracking #.  I'll try to post a picture tonight if I can remember.  Off work tomorrow so should be able to put up some impressions soon as well.  

Aug 7, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #34 of 247
Not ENTIRELY related, but I just got Zombie's custom cable for my AKG, arrived today:

TL; DR version – Zombie finished moving, and is back at wizardly wire work! Nicely made cable, I would pay for Zombie's services in the future.

I've not had a plug like this before, I believe the branding is REAN, nice quality and properly sealed between cable and plug with heat shrink (no adapter threading which I find impractical on the stock AKG K712 cable):

The wire is Mogami, I've only heard good stuff about this brand (lots of guys on the AKG Q701 thread prefer this stuff), same wire material used in REALLY EXPENSIVE stuff, bit more substantial than the thinner gauged stuff AKG uses stock but not as thick and bulky as Grado stock cables:

The Mini-XLR (AKG style) plug inserts smoothly and with less friction than the three AKG stock cables I've tried, and locks in with a nice click. A small thing, sure, but Zombie made nice parts choices. Again, heat-shrink tubing to seal the seam between wire and plug, done by hand but done well:

Apologies if pictures are more "serviceable" than beautiful, I just took these on my desk with my phone. As far as the sound... Well I don't have any measurements, but it works, possibly better than ever but at least as good as the best I've heard my tunes. I just switched back to my fave tube two days ago, playing Wilco's "Whole Love" album in Apple Lossless from my iPod (line out to the amp), the amount of detail is staggering! Dat electric guitar! I only got this cable to replace a damaged one, but very happy with the results.

Aug 8, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #35 of 247
Nice looking work indeed. I took a few shots of the adapter last night but unfortunately could not get my vmoda mic working. Literally the first time I've used it and I think I found the problem but I need to test things again later today.

Very impressed with how clean the design is and the mic fits perfectly.

Will update again later today.

Aug 8, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #36 of 247
This looks so good it makes me want to buy an AKG

Aug 8, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #37 of 247
What was the issue exactly Spartan? I tested it out thoroughly before mailing and it worked fine, or is it the cable itself was not working? Please let me know if you might need another adapter.

For anyone interested the parts I used to make the adapter: Switchcraft Mini XLR knockoff, 22awg solid core copper (to connect the mini XLR to the female 1/8"), and a Neutrik female 1/8" knockoff. I also used military grade silver solder which is 40% silver.

Aug 8, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #38 of 247
I think the issue is with the mic or the way I have it hooked up. I'm using it with the schiit magni amp and I think the rca to 3.5" cable I had wasn't fitting correctly. Trying again tonight so I'll post an update soon.

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:11 PM Post #39 of 247
Try it directly out of a phone/DAP if possible. This might help weed out other issues.

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #40 of 247
Still not able to get anything to pick up from the mic at all. Sound is coming through fine. I'm using it with the Xbox one and its not picking up anything in party chat. I'm gonna try to hook the mic to my computer and verify it actually is working.

Aug 8, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #41 of 247
Still not able to get anything to pick up from the mic at all. Sound is coming through fine. I'm using it with the Xbox one and its not picking up anything in party chat. I'm gonna try to hook the mic to my computer and verify it actually is working.

FYI, I had problems with the mic and the Boompro on my Xbone as well.  It was doing very weird things.  Try just plugging the Boompro directly into the controller without using the Mixamp or anything.  You'll only get stereo but that should work...

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #42 of 247
Thanks for the suggestion, its working fine when hooked directly into the controller. actually doesn't sound bad at all that way and the mic is responsive. Maybe something wrong with the mix amp perhaps or just the Xbox being picky. Either way I would definitely be on board with purchasing this adapter as its very useful.

Aug 9, 2014 at 4:50 PM Post #43 of 247
Wow read this thread and that adapter is exactly what I'm looking for. Is this available for sale?

@ Spartan Didn't the V-Moda come with a Y adapter? I'm looking to use it on the one as well but instead of a mixamp I use a Yamama receiver. Its a mixamp on steroids!

I'd like to get more feedback from you if you got it work properly.

Aug 9, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #44 of 247
Thanks for the suggestion, its working fine when hooked directly into the controller. actually doesn't sound bad at all that way and the mic is responsive. Maybe something wrong with the mix amp perhaps or just the Xbox being picky. Either way I would definitely be on board with purchasing this adapter as its very useful.

It was definitely the Xbox being picky.  Trust me, I did a lot of experimenting and it was a pain in the ass.  I still never quite got it working right with certain setups.  Seems to work fine right now with my Mixamp 5.8, Q701 and clip-on mic.

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #45 of 247
Definitely understand that. Have you used it with an amplifier as well or would you say one is necessary? I got one based on the suggestions in MLE's thread for the q701s. Right now the adapter is working great I just get occasional audio cutouts. Only played with battlefield 4 so far, but I will try other games tonight. Of course battlefield has many issues of its own still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back