Curve R.I.P.
Feb 12, 2005 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

virometal

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been lurking here for a couple of months now, enjoying the music convo.

This one's for Dark Angel...Curve is no mas. I hated reading this as they are my favorite duo, but all good things must come to an end. Now if I just get a hold of Open Day at the Hatefest, things will be correct.

Check out the weekend mp3 while your there...the usual quality stuff.

http://www.curve.co.uk/news.htm

Feb 12, 2005 at 7:56 AM Post #2 of 15
ooh... DarkAngel won't like this one bit.
frown.gif

there goes one of the last original shoegazers.

hey virometal, you should join in some of the music conversations!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2005 at 5:33 AM Post #5 of 15
Damn, I liked Curve alot. Heard one off of Gift 2 or 3 years ago on a college station, found out what it was and bought it. Need to get the rest of them...

Feb 13, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 15
Yes, indeed. They came back once with Come Clean - through Gift. So just maybe again? Nah, their getting old in music years.

Way of the Curve is a great introduction - kind of a best of remastering of tracks throughout their catalog.

I just indulged my fanboy instincts by ordering the Hatefest mp3's from the site.
It is supposed to be their angriest, filthiest, dirty little ditty, so I am all for it!

My collection is now complete. Sayonara and thanks for the laughs Toni and Dean.

frown.gif

Feb 13, 2005 at 6:15 PM Post #7 of 15
I can't believe they are selling custom burned CDRs where you pick out what songs to include and charge per song.........duh!

Just put all the MP3s on one CDR and sell as a final collection for lower price.

Feb 14, 2005 at 6:05 PM Post #9 of 15
I downloaded "Gift" through Napster To Go just to try it out. It's real rare when I like something that much from the start. I went and bought the CD the next day. It's terrific.

Anyway, any other recommendations for similar artists?

Thanks

Feb 15, 2005 at 1:02 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
I just indulged my fanboy instincts by ordering the Hatefest mp3's from the site.
It is supposed to be their angriest, filthiest, dirty little ditty, so I am all for it!

My collection is now complete. Sayonara and thanks for the laughs Toni and Dean.

OMG that final "weekend" mp3 they posted is godlike.........now I want the "hatefest" collection
k1000smile.gif

Isn't there an easier way than having CDR shipped from UK, who knows how long that will take????

Can you believe nimrod record execs almost didn't release "gift" and were just going to shelf it.......was a travesty

Feb 15, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sno1man
Anyway, any other recommendations for similar artists?
Thanks

Sorry, Curve sounds like well Curve...

I am sure you have heard of Garbage. Their s/t and VS. 2.0 remind me a little of Curve wrapped in a radio friendly version with cheesy guitars.

If your not afraid of pop trash, Republica's s/t debut is a fun synth rock romp all the way to obscurity.

My Bloody Valentine's Loveless reminds me of early Curve.

Off the wall, you might like PJ Harvey's To Bring You My Love. For some reason that album reminds me of Cuckoo. It was produced by Flood who is a Dean Garcia protege'!

Of course you have probably head of or heard all these, so my apologies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Isn't there an easier way than having CDR shipped from UK, who knows how long that will take????

Nope, unless you know someone in the UK. It has been out of print for about a year.

When I ordered the MP3's, I received an e-mail with a form to print out. I had to include cash and send it back to them...so we're talking two way trip. I am thinking 6-8 weeks.

BTW, I have heard a couple of the tracks and it is different - very harsh stuff like Hell Above the Water or Chinese Burn.

Come Clean had the full backing of Hip-O and Universal and didn't do as well as the label thought. Hence, it has been an uphill battle for Curve ever since.

Feb 25, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #12 of 15
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

****!!! I loved them.
frown.gif

Maybe Toni will do something else that is just as good...yea right.

Feb 26, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #13 of 15
They all die!
mad.gif
It never has been the same since Toni got knocked up and did the Superblaster video with her melon sticking out of her flower dress.
rolleyes.gif

Virometal's Curve Album rankings:

1. Gift - The apex of everything Curve. Perfect all the way through.
2. Cuckoo - A dense "wall of sound" with disturbing lyrical imagery. The best of the early stuff.
3. Pubic Fruit - Worthy of the 3 ranking for "Ten Little Girls" alone; great track.
4. Doppelganger - Many Curve fans rank this higher. It encompasses more a straight forward sound. "Horror Head" and "Fait Accompli" are classics.
5. The New Adventures of Curve (UK only release) - I could tell this was the beginning of the end. Overall, a disjointed work; one can almost hear Toni's coming exit. Still, it is very tuneful.
6. Come Clean - Otherwise known as the sell out - catchy,abrasive tracks heard in a commercial or movie trailer near you.

Feb 26, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by virometal
They all die!
mad.gif
It never has been the same since Toni got knocked up and did the Superblaster video with her melon sticking out of her flower dress.
rolleyes.gif

Virometal's Curve Album rankings:

1. Gift - The apex of everything Curve. Perfect all the way through.
2. Cuckoo - A dense "wall of sound" with disturbing lyrical imagery. The best of the early stuff.
3. Pubic Fruit - Worthy of the 3 ranking for "Ten Little Girls" alone; great track.
4. Doppelganger - Many Curve fans rank this higher. It encompasses more a straight forward sound. "Horror Head" and "Fait Accompli" are classics.
5. The New Adventures of Curve (UK only release) - I could tell this was the beginning of the end. Overall, a disjointed work; one can almost hear Toni's coming exit. Still, it is very tuneful.
6. Come Clean - Otherwise known as the sell out - catchy,abrasive tracks heard in a commercial or movie trailer near you.

CURVE'S masterwork remains early EP collection Pubic Fruit
There is no less than great Curve album even if "come clean" begins to sound more mainstream like Garbage, Lush etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back