Curse you "SACD Lover"!!!
Oct 25, 2005 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

falcogreg

New Head-Fier
Twice I posted asking for advice on tube amps and twice you "insisted" I look at the ppx3 slam. I tried resisiting. I really did!!! However, after a phone call with Mikhail today, I gave in. It's all your fault! I was trying to be a good doobie and keep it around $500 but I'm weak. Resistance is futile! What can I say? Got the slam with the tung sol upgrade and the stepped attenuator. OUCH! My poor wallet. "The pain William, the pain...."

Well, now that I finally gave in, I can sleep again at night. Except, now I need to get new headphones.............Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhh!!!!!!! Will it ever end???? I hope you can sleep at night knowing yu've corrupted me.

Cheers,
Greg

Oct 25, 2005 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 31
Earl is da man!!!!!

Congrats on the SLAM. Your gonna love it! But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE leave atleast 5 days break-in before listening. I almost sent mine back because i was disapointed in its sound after 1 day of burn-in. A week later, it was a totally different amp. It was amazing! I never thought burn-in could change an amps sound as much as it did with the singlepower.

Rhydon.

Oct 25, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by falcogreg
Twice I posted asking for advice on tube amps and twice you "insisted" I look at the ppx3 slam. I tried resisiting. I really did!!! However, after a phone call with Mikhail today, I gave in. It's all your fault! I was trying to be a good doobie and keep it around $500 but I'm weak. Resistance is futile! What can I say? Got the slam with the tung sol upgrade and the stepped attenuator. OUCH! My poor wallet. "The pain William, the pain...."

Well, now that I finally gave in, I can sleep again at night. Except, now I need to get new headphones.............Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhh!!!!!!! Will it ever end???? I hope you can sleep at night knowing yu've corrupted me.

Cheers,
Greg

Congrats! I hope you enjoy your PPX3 SLAM. I love the sound so much I sent my MPX3 back for a "SLAM-IN" .

Oct 25, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 31
Quote:

Cheers,
Greg

Earl and I had a talk about you Sunday. Mentoring your path to audio excellence we see the need and feel fit to tell you to "upgrade your source next" An Esound E5 would do quite nicely. Hurry, buy today. It's almost time to upgrade to the MPX3 Slam.
280smile.gif
600smile.gif
orphsmile.gif
etysmile.gif
lambda.gif
icon10.gif

Oct 25, 2005 at 2:32 AM Post #5 of 31
Heh, Im working on customizing a MPX3 myself. I'm at about $1650 and I haven't even gone into using different tubes yet.

And yes, I do belive SACD Lover is one of the best in emboding and encouraging newer headfiers to go down the path and embody the motto "Sorry about your wallet"

Oct 25, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 31
I actually had on hand and sourced some excellent tubes for a Slam with the thought of getting one of these beauties for another nice home amp but alas. . . here I sit in Jishou City, China for a year. Oh it's nice here, in a way, and I enjoy the other part of my life (visual anthropology) but I do miss being in the main audio stream. I have my portable system, which is excellent, but oh do I love the glow of tubes. It was with sadness that I packed away box after box of the slumbering vacuum tubes. . . . but I know they await that spark.

Well I must grab hold. Enjoy the fine sounds. . .

John in overcast and cool, Jishou City, China

Oct 25, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 31
Ah yes, Mikhail should take a long hard look at hiring Earl to be his salesperson! Earl corrupted me for his own evil ends: He told me I had to buy his PPX3 SLAM so he could buy the MPX3 SLAM! The gall of him!!!

[size=xx-small]oh yes, the CD-E5 is waiting for you...[/size]

Oct 25, 2005 at 3:38 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by PFKMan23
Heh, Im working on customizing a MPX3 myself. I'm at about $1650 and I haven't even gone into using different tubes yet.

And yes, I do belive SACD Lover is one of the best in embodidying and encouraging newer headfiers to go down the path and embody the motto "Sorry about your wallet"

6sn7gt Tung Sol black glass round plate = $275-300 a pair.
eek.gif

12 volt upgrade $250-300.
cool.gif

12sn7gt Sylvania/ RCA/ Tung Sol/ Hytron/ Ratheon/ Dumont Labs etc... $6.75-8.00 each. The most I have paid for any 12sn7gt was $15 for some RCA gray glass.
icon10.gif

You do the math!!! I am trying to save you money!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 25, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #9 of 31
LOL well that's definitely open to interpretation. The fact that I'm actually seriously considering gettinga amp that costs that much make me want to get my head checked.

Check out the SF Meet thared if you want to see the current configuration (and that's after more discussion with Mikhail..ugh...

Oct 25, 2005 at 3:45 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Cheers,
Greg

Get some senn 600 or 650's! The Singlepower amps and senns are like a hand and a glove.
icon10.gif

Of course.... then you will need a senn replacement cable.
600smile.gif

Oct 25, 2005 at 3:47 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Get some senn 600 or 650's! The Singlepower amps and senns are like a hand and a glove.
icon10.gif

Of course.... then you will need a senn replacement cable.
600smile.gif

eh.. I went with cans first....and now I'm on to the monstrosity known as amplifiers. I think SACD Lover should be banned on the basis of how many wallets he's harmed. He's a headfi security risk...

And now that I think of it, I'm kind of glad he hasn't returned my PM....
600smile.gif

Oct 25, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

eh.. I went with cans first....and now I'm on to the monstrosity known as amplifiers. I thkn SACD LOver should be banned on the basis of how many wallets he's hahrmed. He's a headfi security risk...

And now that I thkn of it, I'm kind of glad he hasn't returned my PM....
600smile.gif

Its ok, I am slowly taking him to the cleaners
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 25, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
Its ok, I am slowly taking him to the cleaners
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Yeah.... you and those delightful gold alloy IC's.
tongue.gif
I cant listen with my humble cables anymore. I may have to hunt down some expensive 6sn7's you want..... and get even.
wink.gif

Oct 25, 2005 at 4:21 AM Post #14 of 31
Earl isn't buying any more Singlwpower amps ATM?? I'm amazed
eek.gif

Oct 25, 2005 at 4:34 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

Earl isn't buying any more Singlwpower amps ATM?? I'm amazed
eek.gif

I just bought two old chassis supra's.
cool.gif

Let my poor wallet get some air!!