Currently own Sennheiser HD201s. Should I just get a nice portable DAC/AMP or will I notice a huge difference by upgrading to the ATH-M50?
Aug 5, 2013 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ryeryeguy

New Head-Fier
Some background info first:

Music source: Macbook Pro, Galaxy S4 (mostly)
Music genres: Classical, Alternative rock, metalcore, deep house, rap, chillout, trap, post-rock.
Current headphones: Sennheiser HD201
Previous headphone experience: none
Dream superpower: teleportation

Buying the HD201s was my first step into better quality audio as a broke college student.  Now, as a "semi-broke" college student, I was looking to upgrade again.  Would I be better off buying a quality portable DAC/AMP (100$ or more) for my HD201s, or upgrading to the Audio-Technica M50?  I've been reading lots of info on other headphones in this price range, but the M50s seems to be the best bang for the buck and check all the boxes on my list of criteria.

Will the Audio-Technica M50s blow me away?  I've been enjoying my HD201s but I don't have much experience or knowledge to go off of.  I'd appreciate any advice or recommendations you guys may have for me.

Thanks, ryeryeguy.

Aug 6, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
Some background info first:

Music source: Macbook Pro, Galaxy S4 (mostly)
Music genres: Classical, Alternative rock, metalcore, deep house, rap, chillout, trap, post-rock.
Current headphones: Sennheiser HD201
Previous headphone experience: none
Dream superpower: teleportation

Buying the HD201s was my first step into better quality audio as a broke college student.  Now, as a "semi-broke" college student, I was looking to upgrade again.  Would I be better off buying a quality portable DAC/AMP (100$ or more) for my HD201s, or upgrading to the Audio-Technica M50?  I've been reading lots of info on other headphones in this price range, but the M50s seems to be the best bang for the buck and check all the boxes on my list of criteria.

Will the Audio-Technica M50s blow me away?  I've been enjoying my HD201s but I don't have much experience or knowledge to go off of.  I'd appreciate any advice or recommendations you guys may have for me.

Thanks, ryeryeguy.

lol. teleportation... me too man.

Anyways, I say save up for a better headphone. HD201 isn't what I would call hi-fi. M50 would fit you pretty well, but it'd be terrible for classic. Look at audio technica t500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back