Current state of the earphone/ IEM and what we want. Lets get technical!
Mar 1, 2009 at 4:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Funk-O-Meter

100+ Head-Fier
So I just spend an hour authoring a post and the forum ate it when it asked me log in again cause I timed out. GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!

So anyway, I wanted to rap a bit about the technical aspects of IEM's.

I really like Dynamics and a lot of folks in the pro audio biz do as well. Futuresonics markets themselves as "100% armature free" after having gone down armature driver road in R&D years ago as one of the industry pioneers. The can exhibit some high frequency roll off but that's easy to fix with some EQ.

Armatures are a whole other story. Most single armatures sound thin, and peaky. They smear symbols and make vocals sibilant. When you get into the more complicated multi-driver models and some that have well designed filter and impedance adjustments in the system things get much better, but usually not as natural sounding as a good dynamic.

So why is there only one custom IEM with a dynamic driver? Futuresonics is the only game in town and they're $800 while there's all sorts of custom armature based products poping up now. Well its' because you can build a dual driver IEM with an acrylic ear piece using off the shelf Knobles drivers that are really inexpensive. Last I looked the most expensive one was something like $14. So you can do some small time reverse engineering and design on your own and crank out a simple acrylic custom IEM in a small business with a small staff. This is what Livewires does and there is many more companies doing the same thing. Of course they're fortunate that UE and Westone did the some of the first R&D in on these things. UE also go beyond with crossover networks and filters. But how can UE justify $1200? Beats me. That's gotta be a huge markup. I've talked to a few IEM manufacturers and they all feel the same way. I've seen IEM's built. I've contemplated fooling around and making my own. It's not $1200 worth of hard.

Lots of IEM's use the exact same drivers from Knowles (where pretty much all the IEM companies get their armature drivers) but sound different. Livewires use the same high frequency driver as the Eymotic ER4 but sound very different. This is where the R&D came into play. It's pretty amazing.

So that's where it stands today, finally some folks have taken advantage of the huge opportunity UE, Futursonics, and other left by charging pro-only prices for customs and realized they could sell a similar product for WAYYY less. Thanks for that.

But we still don't have any other custom dynamic driver IEM other then the $800 Futuresonic "Ear Monitor". Good opportunity there.

We still don't have a affordable hybrid driver model custom IEM.

Eymotic still doesn't sell a dual driver model or a custom. Wha? Hello guys? WANT!

And the big opportunity that's gonna really seal the deal:

A multi and/or hybrid driver custom IEM with the top end of the Etymotic for under $400. THAT would be the biggest IEM yet.

What do you think?

Mar 1, 2009 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 9
Wouldn't you say that the head-fi crowd is not the target market for the high-end customs? I would think it would be stage musicians - and if UE can sell new units to the mega-rich stars for $1200 a pop (and I'm guessing they don't buy just one pair), I'm thinking they aren't trying very hard to sell them to head-fiers.

Mar 1, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #3 of 9
I disagree. I see them sponsoring events and having booths at fests all the time. They're totally reaching out to the consumer and pro-sumer market with the super fi line and the UE line. They'll shoot your impressions and take your order on the spot some times. The mobile media consumer market is exponentially larger then the pro-audio industry. It's a dream come true for them.

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 9
I would say it's likely that BA drivers have been using since the beginning of customs.This could be a reason why most customs are BA. Secondly, Most of the companies focus on BA technology.

Now we have seen a few Dynamic drivers have been showing up in the market with excellent performance. I am actually planning to get custom tips for my IE8 making it kind of Custom. Its going to take a while.

Any impressions of the Futuresonic Dynamic Custom?

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ottoyu34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say it's likely that BA drivers have been using since the beginning of customs.This could be a reason why most customs are BA. Secondly, Most of the companies focus on BA technology.

Now we have seen a few Dynamic drivers have been showing up in the market with excellent performance. I am actually planning to get custom tips for my IE8 making it kind of Custom. Its going to take a while.

Any impressions of the Futuresonic Dynamic Custom?

I'd be interested in some impressions of their Dynamic custom. I have the Atrio M5's V2 and simply love them. They have a ton of bass but sound natural and warm.

If the custom maintain the same sound characteristics but improve upon them I'd be willing to fork over the 800$

I do notice the customs use an earlier version driver than the M5's.

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by swanlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd be interested in some impressions of their Dynamic custom. I have the Atrio M5's V2 and simply love them. They have a ton of bass but sound natural and warm.

If the custom maintain the same sound characteristics but improve upon them I'd be willing to fork over the 800$

I do notice the customs use an earlier version driver than the M5's.

There isn't much information around about the customs on this forum.
Customs drivers could be more redefined, but by how much. Since you
stated it's older than the Atrios.

I just noticed they make custom tips for their Atrios too. Not a bad combo
for Atrios with custom tips.

Mar 1, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #7 of 9
Well, what you said was very persuasive, but I would want something else. I would want any IEM, custom or universal, to provide a musical experience where the sound really seems like it is coming from outside the head, in other words, a true soundstage. I don't want to pinpoint where a violin is located inside my head. I would like it genuinely to sound like it was 20 feet in front of me on the stage. I think the problem is that recordings are made for loudspeaker listening, not headphone listening. I recently was introduced to binaural recordings and felt they were much more convincing but still it doesn't sound like the space that I was hearing the music was totally real.

Mar 1, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 9
Among anything from any company that I would like to happen would be a double or triple driver from Etymotic. I'd buy it sight or sound unseen on the spot.

Mar 1, 2009 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Among anything from any company that I would like to happen would be a double or triple driver from Etymotic. I'd buy it sight or sound unseen on the spot.

It's just that Etyomic Research doesn't see any advantage from multiple drivers. And they may absolutely be right. I only see some disadvantages, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back