May 24, 2004 at 1:27 AM Post #32 of 52
Head-Fi'ers --

I get my gas for free...
biggrin.gif

It is just MY secret! Hahah.

I am not kidding, though.

Scott

May 24, 2004 at 2:31 AM Post #33 of 52
Here in the Chicago burbs it is about $2.20/gallon for 87 octane. It's 10-15 cents more in the city due to taxes. Fairly high, although it was about $2.65 for regular here a summer or two ago.

May 24, 2004 at 2:34 AM Post #34 of 52
With my 3¢ Safeway saving card I pay $2.19 for 87 octane. ( Dixon, CA )

May 24, 2004 at 3:01 AM Post #35 of 52
I just paid 104.99 Australian cents per litre for Diesel and unleaded petrol is about the same.

1 Litre = AUD$1.05
1 Galon (US) = 3.785412 Litres

3.785412 Litres = AUD$3.97
1 Galon (US) = AUD$3.97

AUD$3.97 = US$2.77

So over here:
1 Galon (US) = US$2.77

Phew!

May 24, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #36 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by BANGPOD
Head-Fi'ers --

I get my gas for free...
biggrin.gif

It is just MY secret! Hahah.

I am not kidding, though.

Scott

yea, yea.
I have a company car with a gas card too.
cool.gif

But my wife drives a big SUV.
frown.gif

May 24, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #37 of 52
I don't drive (haha, suckers!
tongue.gif
wink.gif
) but I noticed that one of the cheaper stations near my house (Denver, CO) had regular unleaded (Colorado, which screws up everything possible, defines regular as 85 octane) for $2.01 a gallon. Many places are at least $2.09 a gallon. I remember in either 1998 or 1999 gas was $0.79/gallon for 87 octane regular unleaded in northwestern Arizona, so I have to wonder what they are right now there. At that same time, a drive 30 miles away to Needles, CA would produce gas prices 50% to 75% higher.

It sure makes me glad I don't drive. I figure I save at least $300 or more in insurance, gas, maintenance, and other vehicle-related stuff by not owning a car. Bus pass prices may go up due to fuel costs, but they are still less than 20% of even the cheapest costs possible for vehicle ownership. Now if people can be convinced that they don't need a damn SUV for commuting in town (especially those Hummer H2s, I just want to point and laugh at the idiots driving those rediculous-looking things) then there'd probably be less problems with gas prices. Those people are helping fuel costs rise which raises the cost of goods for everybody due to rising transportation costs.

May 24, 2004 at 4:20 AM Post #38 of 52
I gotta use premium in all my cars and on the trip to NYC gas was running between $2.09-2.79 a gallon. In Chicago I filled up at Sunoco with 94 octane(the best stuff going) for $2.44. On a much sadder note the price of race fuel went from $6.60 a gallon to $8.18 in one week. I buy it in 55 gallon drums and it ain't cheap.

May 24, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #39 of 52
T'was $2.15 for 87 octane at the Costco in Sunnyvale, CA last week. Had to be a member though.

pS

May 24, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #40 of 52
CI$3.07 = US$3.74 in the Cayman Islands. It cost me over US$70 to fill my Jeep last week.

Oops... this is Wmcmanus posting. I'm staying at Aaron's place in New York and just posted under his monkier... sorry!

May 24, 2004 at 8:51 AM Post #41 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
For the three grades of gas. I buy my gas near work in Duluth GA. Outside of Atlanta. This is why I'm buying one of the Ford Escape hybred SUV's when they hit in a few months.

Exactly half price to what I'm paying..
rolleyes.gif

May 24, 2004 at 9:39 AM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Exactly half price to what I'm paying..
rolleyes.gif

Time to get yourself a thifty little Fiat Panda with the 1.1-litre engine.

You may lose the respect of all of your friends for driving such a silly-looking little car, but you gain an awe-inspiring 50 mpg! Who needs friends, right? Just imagine yourself cruising the boulevards in your mighty Panda. Now that's a smart trade-off!

wink.gif
tongue.gif

D.

May 24, 2004 at 10:01 AM Post #43 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demolition
Time to get yourself a thifty little Fiat Panda with the 1.1-litre engine.

You may lose the respect of all of your friends for driving such a silly-looking little car, but you gain an awe-inspiring 50 mpg! Who needs friends, right? Just imagine yourself cruising the boulevards in your mighty Panda. Now that's a smart trade-off!

wink.gif
tongue.gif

D.

Demo, I lost that a long time ago when I bought a new Mini Cooper in 1999. Everyone thought I'd lost it. Then a Land Rover, Jeep and other odd cars. What I'd love is a Bubble Car right now or one of those ultra-cool Fiat 500s. There's a chance they'll bring out a new retro version of the 500 and if they do I'm having one..
wink.gif

When I was younger I loved flashy cars like Porsche, Jaguar, Mercedes etc..and had many of them. When you come from a poorer background and then suddenly begin to make decent money, a new flash car is high on your list of priorities and it was right up there on mine
biggrin.gif

However, been there, done that and came back to earth.

My current company car is a Seat Ibiza...not exactly exuberent luxury, but definately practical in a country where parking is very limited and the driving rules are the same as at the fair ground..
biggrin.gif

Motorbikes..? Well they're different, right?
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2004 at 1:01 PM Post #45 of 52
Why did you guys do this to me? I'm just about to move back the US after 5 1/2 years in Asia and now I see that gas prices have almost DOUBLED from when I left! You're kidding me!!!
confused.gif

God, we gotta get these prices down! Do more drilling in Alaska. Find some way to get more oil into this country, cheaper. Hell, it would be worth invading some crappy little country just to .... oops....
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back