Current Outstanding canalphones/IEMs from Top End to Bottom End
Oct 4, 2008 at 6:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

lewislink

Banned
(This list will not include overly bright sounding canalphones like the Etymotics, Harman Kardons, Altec Lansings and others. If you feel this list should include them, I apologize because, although those phones are high quality and can be used exclusively with satisfying results, they can't be used along with any of these canalphones and provide proper sound quality between them. You'll generally be adjusted to one and find the other unacceptable. With the phones in this list, you can find going from one to another acceptable with minimal hearing adjustment)

I've made a small list of canalphones/IEMs that are the best of the best in my judgment and ones which I believe would be a sure bet for anyone needing a universal canalphone. You'll need to do a search for numerous reviews of each particular canalphone for sound characteristics and comfort info. I have no intentions of providing a comprehensive analysis of these phones but will comment on each one when asked. I will base my comments on my own experience, which is why I recommend searching for all available reviews from a variety of sources to get an average idea of the appeal of each phone.

The cream of the crop:

Westone UM2 (Simple & easy nozzle mod available for more seal options)
Ultimate Ears Triple fi-10 Pro (Simple & easy nozzle mod available for better fit)
Shure SE530 (the most comfortable of all)
Jays q-Jays (nozzle screen cleaning procedure available - no need to buy more screens)
Sleek Audio SA6 (some minor QC issues)
Klipsch Image X10

Other Top End phones which may or may not suit the listener:

SoundMAGIC PL-30 (the most inexpensive wonder of all)
Denon AH-C751
Ultimate Ears Super fi-5 V.2

Other canalphones to consider for excellent sound quality:

V-Moda Vibe
V-Moda Bass Freq
JBL Reference 220
Sennheiser CX300
Sennheiser CX500
Klipsch Custom-1
Klipsch Custom-2
Ultimate Ears Super fi-3
Ultimate Ears Super fi-4
JVC HA-FX66
Sony MDR-EX85
Sony MDR-EX90

This list may be updated as time goes by to include more choices.

Oct 4, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #3 of 75
I'm going to sound like a fool, but... what does QC stand for? Quality Control?

Oct 4, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #6 of 75
I don't think there are that many bad IEMs that people on here won't touch, it's more about their value for money in relation to others. I don't think a flat list like this serves much purpose as almost every IEM will have a few fans.

Oct 4, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 75
By the way, the true "cream of the crop" will run you about $500-$1000. You did a great job from a "bang for your buck" aspect, though.

Oct 4, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #9 of 75
Hehe...Blasphemy or not...lol the list doesn't include RE2, ER4P, ER6i or any of those others that I didn't like too well.

One main reason the Etys, HKs and ALs aren't on this list is because of their propensity for seriously skewing my hearing to the point that the currnet king, the UM2, sounds bad. The Etys and those ALs and HKs are very bright, analytical canalphones and all of the ones in my list and what I favor are "fun" type canalphones.

The RE2, I owned but sent back because musical notes just seemed to drop dead immediately after being produced. They were lifeless sounding and they fatigued me to listen to them.

I feel the list emphasizes the most favored and popular among universal canalphones. There are certainly others that sound very good and, true, all canalphones will find favor among particular people. This, however, is a list of popularity and common views.

Oct 4, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #10 of 75
So...what is the cream of the cream of the crop?
tongue.gif

Do they all have equal sound quality, just with different sound characteristics?
I'm still looking for an IEM. I have the Super.fi Pro which do not satisfy me (I find the mid vocals very muffled, and the sound in general is fatiguing after thirty minutes)
Which IEM do you think would be best for me?
I'm looking for best sound quality period, not best value. Thanks : ) Good sound quality to me is dynamic, balanced, and clear.

Oct 4, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #11 of 75
"I feel the list emphasizes the most favored and popular among universal canalphones" A lot of people like the etymotics and RE2s and just because you don't doesn't mean you should exclude them from a list you're not touting as your personal list but instead a general list.

Also, if they make the UM2 sound bad, maybe its because you just prefer the ety's more or sound significantly better in some aspect?

Oct 4, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #12 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_don't_know /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, the true "cream of the crop" will run you about $500-$1000. You did a great job from a "bang for your buck" aspect, though.

That is not true. The universals can sound just as good as customs. The customs might be more comfortable IF you get a good fit.

In High End audio price doesn't always equate to better SQ.

As a pro musician I have many friends that have both custom(UE11 etc. ) and universals. None of them think the customs sound better, they are SOMETIMES, more useful and easier to deal with in a performing environment.

Your statement shows your naivete as a consumer and as an audiophile.

BTW, I have a 60,000+ stereo system, so I am not cheap about sound, but I am very aware I could have spent less and had = SQ.

Oct 4, 2008 at 9:34 PM Post #14 of 75
I've had serious problems being "happy" with high-end earphones. The sound signatures, when it comes to balanced armatures, are so radically different; there doesn't seem to be a middle ground.

I decided to give up and just bought Denon C551 because they were cheap and looked sturdy, and had a short cord (even with the extension, the cord is only 4ft 3in long). Other than the included sleeves being utter garbage, they are solid earphones. Looking to pick up some UE biflanges to improve isolation and seal.

Edit: the little zip-round case the Denons come with is by far the BEST earphone case I've ever owned. It has plenty of room inside to fit everything. The Ety cases were small and hard to stuff the 'phones into, and I didn't like the case the SF5LS came with (though I returned those 'phones).

Maybe when I get some more play money, I may be willing to give the X10s another shot. But for now, this is sufficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back