Current Outstanding canalphones/IEMs from Top End to Bottom End
Oct 4, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #16 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"I feel the list emphasizes the most favored and popular among universal canalphones" A lot of people like the etymotics and RE2s and just because you don't doesn't mean you should exclude them from a list you're not touting as your personal list but instead a general list.

Also, if they make the UM2 sound bad, maybe its because you just prefer the ety's more or sound significantly better in some aspect?

I understand where you're coming from but the whole point of the list is to provide a certainty of what is accepted. Otherwise I could simply lump every canalphone on the list in one section...like putting the second and third sections of canalphones into the first section and just have one section altogether. I just don't feel the Etys provide the "fun" sound that this list is aimed at. That doesn't mean the Etys are bad. The Etys are aimed at analytical listening and there are a lot of people who prefer an analytical sound as to a "fun" sound.

I can't say I do like the Etys over the UM2. The Etys, if they were my only canalphone, would be outstanding once conditioned for their sound quality. But in order to like the Etys I'd have to give up all of the other commingling canalphones I have, including the SE530, Triple fi-10s and the rest of the ones in my list because they are opposed to the sound quality of those others. Which is why the ears get skewed.

The sound quality of the UM2 are second to none in my opinion, from what I've experienced of them. The Etys sound good once adjusted to them but even then they can't compare to the detail and warmth and quality of the UM2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hear_the_sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So...what is the cream of the cream of the crop?
tongue.gif

Do they all have equal sound quality, just with different sound characteristics?
I'm still looking for an IEM. I have the Super.fi Pro which do not satisfy me (I find the mid vocals very muffled, and the sound in general is fatiguing after thirty minutes)
Which IEM do you think would be best for me?
I'm looking for best sound quality period, not best value. Thanks : ) Good sound quality to me is dynamic, balanced, and clear.

Then if that's your criteria, you'll want the UM2. They have the extreme dynamic of sound, clarity and are very balanced sounding.

The SE530 and Triple fi-10s as well as the Klipsch Image X10 and Sleek Audio SA6, Jays q-Jays all have similar sound quality to the UM2. It's a "fun" sound that tends to be on the warm, smooth, open and spacious side of sound.

Just a reminder, if you are coming from a very bright sounding canalphone, one with a lot of treble, you'll need to give the ones in my list plenty of usage before you'll find their quality of sound to be excellent. As it is, if your hearing is accustomed to high amounts of treble, you'll immediately find almost any of the ones in the first two sections to be very dark and muffled sounding.

This goes for the bass effect also. If you come from a canalphone that produces abnormally high amounts of bass, you'll need to adjust to the phones in my list. They all provide good bass but the more accurate ones in the first two sections will provide normal amounts of bass that will seem lacking when coming from a high-bass producing phone.

Oct 5, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #19 of 75
What a useless topic then, all IEMs may or may not suit the listener and I don't see how the ones in the "the cream of the crop" is any different. Any list based on "the IEMs I like" will be plain useless as what IEM you don't like is likely to be one that others like.

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #21 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a useless topic then, all IEMs may or may not suit the listener and I don't see how the ones in the "the cream of the crop" is any different. Any list based on "the IEMs I like" will be plain useless as what IEM you don't like is likely to be one that others like.

Exactly. Pros and cons will help significantly in a list.

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #22 of 75
If you want a review of each phone, do a search. You'll pull up numerous reviews and also take a look at ClieOS' reviews. This list is simply a starting point to assist in making a choice. These are the best there is and I won't be doing a review. I will offer to lead a person to reviews which will provide sound characteristics and needed info.

Thank you for your kind and compassionate responses.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #23 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've made a small list of canalphones/IEMs that are the best of the best in my judgment and ones which I believe would be a sure bet for anyone needing a universal canalphone to acquire.

Other Top End phones which may or may not suit the listener:[/B]

SoundMAGIC PL-30 (the most inexpensive wonder of all)
Denon AH-C751
Ultimate Ears Super fi-5 V.2

Hi, thanks for putting together a great list. Sorry, but what do you mean about the PL-30 when you say they may not suit the listener? And these blow away the other sub $20 IEM's right?

Thanks.

Oct 5, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #24 of 75
The PL30s, in my opinion, are in the $100 to $200 price class for sound quality. They are amazing for what they offer, especially at their price. They aren't perfect and have a bit muddy midrange and the highs are slightly dark but they do offer an excellent choice and you won't find any others that are better at their price of $40. I don't know about the legitimacy of the FocalPrice offerings, I bought mine off eBay from a reliable dealer. So I can't make comments about the FP version, even if they are real.

The ones I have are quite outstanding but others have reported quality control issues with them.

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:52 AM Post #25 of 75
Oh damnit, I have to hear these PL-30s but mine are taking forever in the mail (from ebay, not focalprice) cuz of public holidays and stuff, they should come next week but because I really want them, they probably won't..

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #26 of 75
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The PL30s, in my opinion, are in the $100 to $200 price class for sound quality. They are amazing for what they offer, especially at their price. They aren't perfect and have a bit muddy midrange and the highs are slightly dark but they do offer an excellent choice and you won't find any others that are better at their price of $40. I don't know about the legitimacy of the FocalPrice offerings, I bought mine off eBay from a reliable dealer. So I can't make comments about the FP version, even if they are real.

The ones I have are quite outstanding but others have reported quality control issues with them.

Ah, that clears up a lot for me. Thanks so much for your responses and write-ups, you've really helped me out in making my decision.

Oct 5, 2008 at 4:38 AM Post #27 of 75
"These are the best there is"
Vibes are flatout better than ER 6i and RE2? I realize they're a different sound, but I vastly prefer my ER 6i's to my friends vibes (which I was very used to before getting my ety's)

Oct 5, 2008 at 7:42 AM Post #30 of 75
Good to see that you also like the ex-85/90 from sony just like me... my physician friend who has se-530, 310, and d-jay was amazed how this cheap headphones sounds almost comparable to his headphones... he always want to swap his 310 with ex85, and i said why wouldnt you buy one, its a hell cheap
wink.gif

Guys, i tell you "ex-85" is worth to be amped... soundstage will be the one that improve most and the lil muddy mids will have some improvemnts too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back