Current amp just bit it -- Time for a new one.
Jun 28, 2009 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dabblerblue

100+ Head-Fier
Well, after almost exactly 6 years of constant and faithful service, my Corda HA-1 MkII just bit the dust. R.I.P.

So the search begins for a worthy successor to power my Sennheiser HD-650 and Grado RS-1 headphones, as well as many others.

Thinking about trying tubed this time, like maybe the Mapletree Ear+ HD, since they seem to be located relatively close to where I live.

Does it take a while to get one in the mail?

Any other amp suggestions would be appreciated as well.

Jun 28, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #2 of 6
Amps can be repaired (unless you are wanting to get a different one). Symptoms?

That said... Tubes are such a nice change.

Jun 28, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 6
Well essentially I was listening to it and it shut off. Can't get it to do anything now. Swapped for a different cable and changed outlets...still nothing.

Haven't tried opening it yet, but I wouldn't know what to do once I got in there, anyways.

Jun 28, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #4 of 6
Have you tried changing the fuse? Open the fuse door and check to see if it is intact. If the fuse is blown, you can replace it for a dollar or two.

And even if you buy another amp, do no throw away your old one. Someone here will want it to play with. You should talk to Dr. Meier to see if a repair is possible. You might be able to get it fixed, sell it and put that towards your new amp.

How much are you looking to spend on a new amp?

Jun 28, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by dabblerblue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thinking about trying tubed this time, like maybe the Mapletree Ear+ HD, since they seem to be located relatively close to where I live.

Does it take a while to get one in the mail?

Here's the order queue for Mapletree Audio. I'm guessing it'll take at least a month before you will can get delivery.

If you live near Mapletree, then I guess it should be easy enough to get after sales service. I ordered a Line Router (2 inputs, 4 outputs) a couple of years ago, and one channel on one of the inputs was dead on arrival. I ended up getting it repaired (and upgraded) by a HF'er who lives in my area rather than sending it back to Mapletree in Canada. I talked to Dr. Lloyd over the phone, and he didn't seem too enthusiastic about having it sent back and mildy suggested that I fix it myself or have someone local look at it. I wasn't too happy because I felt like the product wasn't tested before it was sent to me. I suppose it may have been jostled during shipping, but I would expect the product to be able to handle that much shock without coming apart.

I don't mean to rain on your parade as Mapletree is well regarded by many, and Mapletree amps offer a rather unique old-school throwback aesthetics which I appreciate. However, the workmanship and quality of materials are nothing special to write about. Again, this is my lone experience so take it fwiw (2.5 cents), but I'd look into Woo Audio's product line to find something suitable.

Jun 28, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the feedback, I'll need to get my hands on a special screwdriver to take a look at the fuse.

Hopefully I won't end up having to replace this after all!

If it has finally and definitely kicked the bucker, i'll check out Woo Audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back