Curing Audiophilia Nervosa
Dec 1, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #76 of 87
If you are on a budget, do your research before making any impulsive buys.

If you listen to music through speakers, treat your room acoustically a bit (it can be done quite cheaply) and study what digital room correction is and apply it (it can be done for free - use MathAudio or Room EQ Wizard). Learn about speaker placement and speaker-room interaction. This knowledge will save you a lot of frustration and a lot of dollars.

If you listen to music through headphones, educate yourself about crossfeeds and find the one that you like best. A crossfeed technology is the most important discovery in headphone industry. It's the major breakthrough in this area. Sadly, it's ignored by too many "audiophiles".

Knowing these things can cure many of audiophilia nervosa because when you know the technical side of this hobby, you can make a modestly priced gear to sound better than a more expensive one.

Dec 1, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #77 of 87
There is no cure, just give me more cowbell

Dec 2, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #78 of 87
There is no cure, just give me more cowbell
cowbell-o.gif

Dec 5, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #79 of 87
One thing That has been bothering me about audio equipment and audiophiles in general is the obsession if listening to music exactly as the artist/sound engineer intended.
I'm but a poor, unwashed peasant, but I don't think I've ever heard a pair of headphones, speakers or IEMs that sounded the same. How would anyone know what the engineer was actually hearing while mixing?
Also, what's his/her hearing like? Do you even hear like he/she does?
I've noticed that with audiophiles there's a fear of missing out on something while listening to music, but without the exact equipment, room characteristic, ear shape and hearing levels, how can even be sure you're listening to a recorded as intended?
Hell, is there even a thing as intended? Are they just trying to make sure the mix doesn't turn into a muddy mess instead of creating aural nirvana?
I think this is a part of what drives audiophiles to spend ever increasing amounts of money on equipment with somewhat dubious virtues that will make your music sound like it's supposed to.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #80 of 87
One thing That has been bothering me about audio equipment and audiophiles in general is the obsession if listening to music exactly as the artist/sound engineer intended.
I'm but a poor, unwashed peasant, but I don't think I've ever heard a pair of headphones, speakers or IEMs that sounded the same. How would anyone know what the engineer was actually hearing while mixing?
Also, what's his/her hearing like? Do you even hear like he/she does?
I've noticed that with audiophiles there's a fear of missing out on something while listening to music, but without the exact equipment, room characteristic, ear shape and hearing levels, how can even be sure you're listening to a recorded as intended?
Hell, is there even a thing as intended? Are they just trying to make sure the mix doesn't turn into a muddy mess instead of creating aural nirvana?
I think this is a part of what drives audiophiles to spend ever increasing amounts of money on equipment with somewhat dubious virtues that will make your music sound like it's supposed to.
Yes. Audiophiles are called philes in audio for reason just like that. Search for perfect audio reproduction that doesn't exist.

I surf around dedicated source forums and headphones. You also see posts about finding perfect balanced cable to match the headphones and then you gotta find perfect audio source. Then someone else will post "I sold this and got this one cause the soundstage is larger and resolution and clarity is higher. Sound quality is much better and I can hear things I couldn't hear before!!!!"

"Be sure to use *insert expensive brand name balanced cable* to bring out sound further".

Dec 5, 2017 at 10:52 PM Post #81 of 87
That was a good read :) . I am glad financially iam restrained from getting infected.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 12:42 AM Post #82 of 87
They way to know you're hearing it properly is to calibrate your EQ to flat. You may not be able to get it as flat as a recording studio, but you can get close enough if you try.

Dec 6, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #83 of 87
They way to know you're hearing it properly is to calibrate your EQ to flat. You may not be able to get it as flat as a recording studio, but you can get close enough if you try.
Hey, I've seen people mixing with ATH-M50Xs and even Beats (yes, fire and brimstone and other biblical nonsense).
I'm under the impression that having perfectly flat equipment will not give you an experience like it was recorded and mixed.
A flat EQ should be a gold standard and a great place to start but I reckon you'll still be chasing the dragon.
I'm starting to shift my mentality from "As it was intended" to "What I enjoy".

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #84 of 87
Dragons? There are dragons involved. I have been digging for rabbits, I thought that was the end game.

Dec 6, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #86 of 87
Hey, I've seen people mixing with ATH-M50Xs and even Beats (yes, fire and brimstone and other biblical nonsense).
I'm under the impression that having perfectly flat equipment will not give you an experience like it was recorded and mixed.
A flat EQ should be a gold standard and a great place to start but I reckon you'll still be chasing the dragon.
I'm starting to shift my mentality from "As it was intended" to "What I enjoy".
I've been steadily shifting toward "oh well...".

as for dragons, there are only 3 and one recently took a Mentos to the knee on a trip beyond the wall. so we'll probably have to call the Witcher to deal with it before the dwarves gather all the dragon balls and wish to get their mine and treasures back.

Dec 6, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #87 of 87
Any response curve in a home is going to involve compromises, either auditory ones or lifestyle ones. Balancing those two is something we have to do for ourselves. A recording studio is set up for one purpose and one purpose only. It's a lot easier to get closer to perfection. But the key word in "living room" is living. The room has to serve a social function beyond just the sound. People can be so dogmatic and absolutist that they end up with a miserable room. I see photos of home theaters on the web that look either like dungeons or lousy mall theaters with no personality. The whole idea of a single listening position lends itself to a solitary lifestyle with no friends. How you balance the social and the audible is what makes a room great or lifeless.

I suppose headphones are basically solitary by definition. Maybe you can be anti-social with cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back