CTH + senn hd580/600/650
Dec 9, 2009 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

acvtre

100+ Head-Fier
What do you think about it? I still have to decide wich among hd580/600/650, I would use 'em to study so I need a sweet and warm sound and not too bassy, I'm not basshead. I like the soundmagic PL50 SQ, so the bass has to be deep and weel defined not bloated. The sound has to be crisp and clear with good highs and deep bass, but relaxing at the same time.

What do you suggest considering that I would use a CTH?

Dec 10, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 10
I use my CTH with hd580 with hd600 grills and they mate very well. The CTH responds well to tubes and you may find your ideal sound signature by rolling tubes and output caps with which ever phones you get. I do however, find 650 (older version) to be more bassy, reaches lower and warmer. Your dac/source and cable will also help get that non-bloated bass and clear highs.

Dec 10, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use my CTH with hd580 with hd600 grills and they mate very well. The CTH responds well to tubes and you may find your ideal sound signature by rolling tubes and output caps with which ever phones you get. I do however, find 650 (older version) to be more bassy, reaches lower and warmer. Your dac/source and cable will also help get that non-bloated bass and clear highs.

Ok, so you suggest to buy a hd580 and I won't be disappointed.
Can you briefly describe how they sounds with the CTH? or make a little list on how the sound signature change with different tubes.
Last thing, can the CTH easily drive high impedance headphones or the pot has to be on 3 o'clock for example?

And how would you describe the sound signature of the CTH?

Dec 10, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by acvtre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you briefly describe how they sounds with the CTH? or make a little list on how the sound signature change with different tubes.
Last thing, can the CTH easily drive high impedance headphones or the pot has to be on 3 o'clock for example?

IMO & that of others around here, the CTH does not really have a sound signature, it assumes that of the tube you put in it. It fully supports the tube's range & characteristics. And that is a very good thing. As elsewhere, C4 caps have some influence but tube has much more.

To my knowledge, CTH has no problem driving any conventional/dynamic cans (hi or lo imped) and all reports seem to indicate CTH mates well with all of them. Some have even used K1000s with it (in that case, and pretty much only that case, vol needed to be way up).

Dec 10, 2009 at 1:15 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfcubed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO & that of others around here, the CTH does not really have a sound signature, it assumes that of the tube you put in it. It fully supports the tube's range & characteristics. And that is a very good thing. As elsewhere, C4 caps have some influence but tube has much more.

To my knowledge, CTH has no problem driving any conventional/dynamic cans (hi or lo imped) and all reports seem to indicate CTH mates well with all of them. Some have even used K1000s with it (in that case, and pretty much only that case, vol needed to be way up).

Have you tested it with the hd580 you have in your signature?

Help me understand, this means that it can sound whatever I like, bassy, detailed, up-front mids etc etc? If it is so, this means it's really really great, almost perfect.

Dec 10, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #6 of 10
I've used my HD580 with my CTH quite a bit, It can drive them easily. As others have already said, the tube you use is the main source of any sound signature. I've been enjoying a Sears branded 6CG7 and a Realistic 12BH7 lately.

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:58 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Have you tested it with the hd580 you have in your signature?

No I did not, but Coreyk78 seems to have covered this. I'm using these combos lately & loving them:
  1. 6922 PQ / DT880s or HF-2s. It's a taste thing but I find BB/Amperex gives a bit more weight to these cans (bottom end). Also use those cans w/my B22.
  2. "Flatter" 12au7s like my Siemens, RCA cleartop or GE JANs w/partial markl-modded D2000s.
My guess is those senns would not need bass boosting but could use some high-end sparkle. Spend time w/search in main and tweak CTH threads.
Quote:

Help me understand, this means that it can sound whatever I like, bassy, detailed, up-front mids etc etc? If it is so, this means it's really really great, almost perfect.

I'm inclined to agree, but could be a bit biased
wink.gif
Again spend time searching here with terms like CTH, bass, amazing, detail.
Many CTH owners have built/owned popular DIY amps around here & think highly of it. Enough that some keep 2 around (work, home). Salesy enough for you
biggrin.gif
?

Remember that there is no free lunch, there are 150-odd parts in a 3" x 5" space. Take your time, do it right & the future looks bright
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Ok, so you suggest to buy a hd580 and I won't be disappointed.

q1: Yes, buy used see if you like then upgrade to 650. If cash is abundant then get hd650 and 580/600.
q2: see the thread on CTH, many have posted changes from tube & output caps
q3: w/ Senns 10'oclock , w/ k501 12'oclock for my stepped pot
q4: hard to tell without a tube. The output caps imo affects sound as much as the tube.

Dec 18, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #9 of 10
Someone told me that the hd650 have too much bass for me, since a like the sound signature of the soundmagic PL50. But, if the CTH can change the sound rolling the tubes, can I reach the perfect sound also with the hd650?

Dec 18, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Someone told me that the hd650 have too much bass for me, since a like the sound signature of the soundmagic PL50. But, if the CTH can change the sound rolling the tubes, can I reach the perfect sound also with the hd650?

Don't expect any headphone amp to turn headphones with a sound signature not suited to your tastes into your dream cans, all an amp will/should do is bring out the best that a particular pair of headphones have to offer. Tube rolling is more about tweaking the sound rather than making drastic changes in the sound signature.

Read the various threads about each of the headphones you are considering and pick what best suits your particular tastes or get to a local meet if there is one near you and have a listen yourself. Have a read of the first post in this thread(if you haven't already) http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bef...ewbies-419349/, there is some great advise there about how to get the most out of these forums. Concentrate on finding the headphones that best suit your tastes then build yourself a CTH and here them at there best.

To add to the confusion "sweet and warm sound and not too bassy" descibes my HD600's perfectly
smile_phones.gif
, but I have never had a chance to listen to the other two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back