CS43131 Thoughts?
Mar 1, 2021 at 7:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

cappuchino

Previously known as sub30
Is it a "good" DAC chip? I'm about to buy a dongle that implements this for 15 USD to connect it to my SD01 amp with hopes to lessen hiss with my IEMs.

Mar 1, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 21
If you're getting hiss with your IEMs, the problem is your amp, not your DAC.

Mar 1, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 21
If you're getting hiss with your IEMs, the problem is your amp, not your DAC.
So getting an amp won't help? I tried it with multiple sources and the amount of hiss is like this:

iPhone 5s < Oppo Reno 4 < Asus Laptop

Mar 1, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 21
So getting an amp won't help? I tried it with multiple sources and the amount of hiss is like this:

iPhone 5s < Oppo Reno 4 < Asus Laptop
By the way, is getting a "decent" DAC necessary if all your files are mp3 320 kbps?

Mar 1, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 21
Your problem is probably your IEMs. They might be designed to require a very specific kind of amp. Which of your IEMs are you having a problem with hiss with?

The DAC in your iPhone produces all the sound your ears can hear.

Mar 1, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 21
Your problem is probably your IEMs. They might be designed to require a very specific kind of amp. Which of your IEMs are you having a problem with hiss with?
Cheap ones - KP580 (112 db at 32 ohms) and VK4 (105 db at 16 ohms). There is also a change with the "noise" produced when I touch the 3.5mm connector (amp -> source).

Mar 1, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #7 of 21
Is the change in the noise when you listen to the iPhone? Have you tried it with some other source? Sounds like that might be some sort of weird grounding issue.

There isn't a computer or laptop involved in all this somewhere is there?

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 8:35 PM Post #8 of 21
Is the change in the noise when you listen to the iPhone? Have you tried it with some other source? Sounds like that might be some sort of weird grounding issue.

None at all. I only encounter this phenomenon with my laptop, not with my phones. And it only happens when MusicBee is not open. When I run the app, that static-like noise disappears and is replaced with a hiss.

Mar 1, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #9 of 21

I've also been browsing the web for other possible solutions. Should this one work? Ever heard of this type of tech?

https://shopee.ph/Audio-Common-Grou...lter-3.5mm-Audio-Cable-i.144658547.6063859721

1614649079695.png

1614649092751.png

Mar 1, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 21
Oh! OK. Gotcha. The problem is probably the laptop. Does anyone reading know a solution for a laptop that inserts noise and grounding problems into the chain?

That dongle may fix it and it may not. Ground problems are tricky. Let's see if someone here has had the same problem and was able to fix it.

Definitely the DAC won't fix the problem. Save your $15.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #11 of 21
Oh! OK. Gotcha. The problem is probably the laptop. Does anyone reading know a solution for a laptop that inserts noise and grounding problems into the chain?

That dongle may fix it and it may not. Ground problems are tricky. Let's see if someone here has had the same problem and was able to fix it.

Definitely the DAC won't fix the problem. Save your $15.
Thanks a lot for the help and saving my money!

Hoping someone else here has encountered this problem...

Mar 1, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #12 of 21
Is the hiss the same when you are running off of batteries as it is when the laptop is plugged in? If it goes away when you run off batteries, this might help...

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #13 of 21
Is the hiss the same when you are running off of batteries as it is when the laptop is plugged in? If it goes away when you run off batteries, this might help...

Thanks a lot. But the noise/buzz I encounter is not as bad as that when Musicbee is not turned off. When MB is turned on, it's more like amplified noise floor. I'm guessing it's just that my IEM has too high sensitivity and too low impedance for my amplifier?

Mar 1, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #14 of 21
Not if it only occurs with your laptop and not if your comp isn't plugged in. That indicates ground loop. Ground loops can manifest as hiss too. With guitar amps like that, it's usually a buzz. With comps, it is usually hiss.

Mar 2, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #15 of 21
None at all. I only encounter this phenomenon with my laptop, not with my phones. And it only happens when MusicBee is not open. When I run the app, that static-like noise disappears and is replaced with a hiss.
So your laptop is Windows 10 and MusicBee is your main music app? Just my guess that difference in audio with it open is that it's using a different Windows device interface. You're plugging your IEMs directly in the laptop headphone jack? Generally when you hear hiss with an IEM, it does mean an imbalance with resistance with amp (easier with IEM since it is more sensitive than other headphone types). Also a possible reason since you're only hearing on a laptop's headphone jack (which is using its own onboard DAC and amp). Ground loops can be brought on by all sorts of conditions: perhaps with bigshot's video example, the noise is being introduced by the power draw of the laptop's AC power (fixed at 60hz in North America) vs the powered speaker's draw as well. The earphone ground loop isolator may help: not so much a ground noise filter, but it may have different resistance and may help. If it's a few bucks, it's worth a shot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back