Crysis single player demo released.
Oct 28, 2007 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

AuroraProject

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm surprised there isn't a thread about this yet, Crysis single player demo was released last night. I've been playing it, the visuals are impressive. Loads of detail, needs v-sync though. Demo weighs in at 1.77gb and is available from many locations including FilePlanet.com

http://www.fileplanet.com/168866/160...-(Singleplayer)

I'm running an 8800GTX at 1920x1200, all settings on high, no AA, and I get some chugging during big firefights, seems there isn't a card on the market that can run this game smoothly at max settings.

Oct 28, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #2 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm running an 8800GTX at 1920x1200, all settings on high, no AA, and I get some chugging during big firefights, seems there isn't a card on the market that can run this game smoothly at max settings.

Yeah, this game requires a serious rig to run it well on high(-ish) settings. I guess we'll have to wait for the next-gen video hardware to run this with everything on very high and with AA.

I have the same PC specs as yourself (and same monitor resolution) and am running everything on high with the exception of water, textures, physics, and objects @ very high and post-processing @ medium, which I've found gives me a satisfactory balance between visuals and framerate.

The game itself is simply awesome - a very immersive experience, unmatched by an FPS I've yet played. The physics are mindblowing (cutting down trees never gets old, and destroying structures with explosives is very fun) and the graphics the best I've ever seen. FPS gamers with a mid to high-end PC rig owe it to themselves to give this a shot =)

Also, I recommend using this NZone link for the demo - no waiting in line with stupid lameplanet!

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_crysis_downloads.html

Oct 28, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 37
Game is highly fill rate dependent. If you drop your resolution you'll notice very nice boosts in performance. At first I didn't want to do this (LCD and all) but at 1280x800 it looks damn good with a mix of medium and high settings for my X1950 Pro. Beautiful game though, easily exceeds everything else on the market in terms of raw visuals (though several have better art directions).

Oct 28, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 37
lol, I'm still considering building another PC just to play this game.

Oct 28, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #6 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by rxc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, I'm still considering building another PC just to play this game.

Did you play Far Cry? As far as gameplay Crysis really is an extension of that model taken a bit further. There are many different ways to approach the objectives and the game really seems set on giving you all the tools you need to tackle each task in your own personal style. I've beat the demo three times now each with a different play style. Once run and gun, then stealth, and finally I used nothing but the tranquilizer dart and melee!

The visuals are certainly amazing, as stated in the thread earlier even current top end hardware isn't up to max settings for this game. Depending on how you look at that Crytek either gave it room to grow with hardware, or didn't "think" about budget gamers enough (I tend to go with the grow idea, my system is rather budget and plays well). I'd say with some upcoming architecture revisions we'll see a nice increase and performance in all market segments for this game and even drivers will go a long way of increasing performance. Nvidia for example has already released two beta drivers specifically for this demo/game.

Oct 28, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #9 of 37
Just finished the demo... looks like a fun game.

Oct 28, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #10 of 37
I've finished the demo, great wee ending. I'm defiantly going to go out and buy this when it is released. I was pretty disappointed when I couldn't run it on high settings at 1920 x 1200. (My Rig: 3072Mb Ballistix RAM, 8800 GTX OC, Q6600...). Seems like I will be purchasing nVidia's new card when it is released too. If you've got a decent computer, download this demo!

Oct 28, 2007 at 5:55 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Possédé /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've finished the demo, great wee ending. I'm defiantly going to go out and buy this when it is released. I was pretty disappointed when I couldn't run it on high settings at 1920 x 1200. (My Rig: 3072Mb Ballistix RAM, 8800 GTX OC, Q6600...). Seems like I will be purchasing nVidia's new card when it is released too. If you've got a decent computer, download this demo!

Serious?! Time to get that extra GTX
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #14 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by GTRacer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An extra GTX will only give you about 5fps extra though. This game kicks my 8800GTS 320mb in the nuts. A very beautiful and perfectly executed kick in the nuts though.

Really? I have the 8800GTS 320MB and I have everything set to maximum settings except for textures and post processing, which are set to medium. Res is 1680x1050. Runs VERY nicely.

Oct 28, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigSurSpoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I have the 8800GTS 320MB and I have everything set to maximum settings except for textures and post processing, which are set to medium. Res is 1680x1050. Runs VERY nicely.

You really should use High textures. There is a very large difference in quality between the High and Medium settings for Textures in Crysis. I'd go so far to say its worth ticking most things to Medium and just keeping Textures at High.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back