Cryo Treatment - Just VooDoo???
Mar 31, 2009 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Gradofan2

Headphoneus Supremus
I must admit... I'm a skeptic... but...

Does cryo treatment noticeably improve the sound of tubes?

Does it affect their useful life?

What about other electrical components?

What are the EE / physics principles which justify cryo treatment of electrical components?

If its actually beneficial... where are the best, most reasonably priced, cryo-treatment vendors?

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 25
didn't work for me... tried a cryo'ed gz32 but didn't sound better than a non-cryo'ed one...
putting a fragile glass tube thru such extreme temp may help the metal pins contract
into a more stable form but the seal between the glass and metal pins may be compromised
as they will most likely contract and expand at different rate under same extreme condition.

i've read somewhere that cryo treatment is ideal for metal alloy parts that undergo extreme
temp increase due to friction.

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #4 of 25
This is really more an issue of belief than fact. I'm unaware of any test conducted to measure of describe the differences between cryo'ed and non-cryo'ed gear. I'm willing to bet this thread turns up few substantive answers, and a lot of bickering.

For cable parts, I've noticed Take Five audio sells a lot of cryo gear. You might want to check them out.

Mar 31, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #8 of 25
The claim is that it makes the molecules arrange themselves into a more stable configuration. If it makes you like your cable better, so be it.

Mar 31, 2009 at 3:57 PM Post #10 of 25
It's all mechanical. If there is a audio-related side effect to it, good for you but keep in mind that it's used to make metal tougher, not to get more zOMGLOL SQ.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:

The field of cryogenics advanced during World War II when scientists found that metals frozen to low temperatures showed more resistance to wear.

Mar 31, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if people in mechanics related fields have forums where they debate cryo-treatment.

I would assume so, sure. It causes a measurable change in hardness, in my understanding, so I imagine there's a point for debate there, i.e. "Cryo what I have, or use something harder?"

Mar 31, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #13 of 25
I am not sure whether the benefits are real, but I know that most large cities have companies that specialize in cryo treating things, and I am sure that you could find one such company in your area and get a reasonable quote on how much it would cost to try and maybe you can experiment. I can't imagine that it would cost more than 20-30 dollars.

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #14 of 25
This should probably be in the Sound Science forum.
regular_smile .gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #15 of 25
It supposedly makes the tubes a little more resistant to wear. If it bothers you a lot, cryo treat some of your stuff. It is very cheap. Not anywhere near the 250$ treatment 'some' cable makers advertise with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back