CRT Flat Screens?
Dec 31, 2009 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

M3NTAL

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking at picking up an older Sony 34" XBR 910/960 for use in a bedroom to watch DVD's. Is there any reason not to pick up a late 90's early 2000's TOTL Tube television?

Pro's/Con's ?

It has DVI input, but I've read that it doesn't seem to like computer input for whatever reasons??

Any reason not to purchase one for under $200 USD?

Thanks.

Dec 31, 2009 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 21
I use a 34sx955 in my bedroom, which is the exact same tube as the xbr910 (and I believe the xbr960 as well). Still love love LOVE it. Bought it in November 2004 - must have at least a few thousand hours on it by now, and the picture quality is basically as good as the day it was purchased. Never had any major issues. There is a baseball-sized minor anomaly/blob on the left side of the picture that shows up only in the blue channel, but it's hardly noticeable during normal viewing and I can't even recall when that happened or if it just came from the factory like that. Big honkin' tubes like this are never going to be perfect, but I still think they're the best quality video displays - then again I like tubes & vinyl for audio so that should clue you in a bit on my preferences.

I recently upgraded from a Denon 3910 dvd player to the cheapest Panasonic blu-ray player, and the difference is not lost on these Sony CRT tubes. The super-fine pitch tubes (xs955, xbr910, 960) supposedly can resolve up to 1440x1080, and it shows. The other tubes of this era (Sony hs410, hs420, xbr970, etc & most non-sony brands) resolve something like only 800x1080, and the difference is VERY apparent (they show visible black gaps between scan lines). I would not recommend going that route.

If the tube is in good condition I believe you'll find the color quality, resolution during high motion, and dynamic range are unsurpassed by anything on the current market. I keep getting *almost* seduced by the nice 1080p Panasonic plasmas (and their dropping prices), for the sheer sexiness of the screen size & slimness, but for a bedroom the extra screen size is not needed and I remind myself that the tube image quality is STILL unsurpassed by even these very nice plasmas (with the exception of a full 1080p resolution). So when the tube dies - THEN I'll get a 42" 1080p plasma. LCD sets are out of the question for me, and out of this league of picture quality for viewing movies in low ambient lighting.

I say go for it, if you have a way to verify the condition of the set (though at $200 you're not risking much). Just one more thing - you do know these things weigh 200 pounds, and are unwieldy as hell, right?
biggrin.gif

Edit:
The best video quality with these sets will be achieved over an HDMI connection. You mention use as a computer monitor - these are NOT the right sets for that. Get the CRT tube for video and a cheap LCD for computer work. The problem is that the highest progressive resolution on these tubes is only 540p - not enough for computer work. You can feed it 1080i, but you'll quickly find out how ANNOYING it is to have lots of sharply defined horizontal lines (which you'll get tons of with any modern computer user-interface) displayed in an INTERLACED fashion by a CRT gun. All those lines will flicker like crazy and drive you nuts! Interlaced works just fine for video (in fact this set looks its best when fed 1080i from a blu-ray player), but the phosphor persistence doesn't quite cut it with all the clean lines in a computer GUI.

Dec 31, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 21
If you have a newer Blu-ray or DVD player it probably has HDMI on the back. You can get HDMI to DVI cables on eBay. However, this older TV might not support the newer DVI version, and the player would be able to use it. Something to think about. I have a PS3 at home and a older CRT TV with a DVI port on the back. I made sure it supported DVI 1.3 before I bought it.

Dec 31, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 21
cons? well it's going to be big and heavy... and it will likely consume power like a fat kid consumes doughnuts

Dec 31, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cons? well it's going to be big and heavy... and it will likely consume power like a fat kid consumes doughnuts

cons? It's going to be massively heavy, it might be the heaviest CRT TV ever made. It will be also be very hard to get replacement parts for it when it fails.

I looked at getting the smaller 30" XBR when they were clearing them out but they never came down in price in Canada like they did in the States so I decided not to buy it (Sony really gouges Canadians sometimes).

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 21
I bought this Sanyo 32 inch 1080i CRT TV about 4 years ago back when LCD's were far too expensive for me. I never looked back since. The picture is the best I have ever seen on any TV. The colors are something that no LCD or Plasma could reproduce and the blacks are... BLACK. So black that when the movie goes black, so does the whole room.

Yes, it weighs 125 lbs and it goes 3 feet back. In pure picture quality, it cannot be beat. I say pick it up, CRT screens cannot be beat.

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heavier than Mitsubishi's 40" CRT TV?

Sony's are a lot heavier than the Mitsubibishi's (in comparable sizes). I owned a 31" Mitsubishi and a 32" Sony and the Sony was a lot heavier than the Mitsubishi.

I forgot about the 40", they are a lot heavier. Still, the Sony will be over 200 pounds.

Dec 31, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cons? It's going to be massively heavy, it might be the heaviest CRT TV ever made.

no... that would be mine... KV40XBR800 304lbs without the stand (the stand is another 70lbs)

Jan 1, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #14 of 21
It probably weighs 150 lbs. That is reason enough. It is also huge, but not in a good way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back