Crosszone CZ-1
Dec 19, 2018 at 2:07 AM Post #16 of 31
Sure, I'm here to help!

I will be posting an in-depth review on them, but let's start with my first impressions:

- CZ1 is fairly hard to drive, so you'll need some power for them. They are not high impedance, but they are low senstivity.
- The build quality is excellent, they are very sturdy, and the earpads are really soft. Everything feels premium, and they feel well built.
- The comfort is actually one of the most surprising things, for a new product, and for something that is quite heavy on paper (almost as heavy as LCD-MX4 on paper!), they are really comfortable, feel very light, the padding is soft, both in the headband, and on the earpads, and the whole headphone feels just really nice. There's nothing I can complain about when it comes to comfort! The earpads have a very different mechanism from most headphones, instead of being adjustable in the headband, the cups swivel outwards, making those stay at juuust the right amount of pressure to stay fit, but to be really comfy. If your head is very large, so they become. Also, the earpads are really spacey, they have a lot of space, even for the largest ears in the world.
- There are multiple drivers inside to simulate soundstage in a larger size. To their defense, this works better than advertised, what you get is a HD800 Huge soundstage, but with much better instrument separation and instrument definition. I am pleased with it.
- So, the main direct comparative headphone is HD800S, and CZ1 feels like someone really wanted to like HD800S, but felt they were a total letdown for their price, and for actually listening to music. To explain, HD800 can be a great headphone, because it is clear, analytical, detailed, wide, and airy, but it is also pretty harsh, peaky, thin, and fatiguing
- Here, CZ1 is also a bass-light headphone, but with a much more gentle midrange than HD800S, a thicker, deeper, quicker bass than HD800S, less peaks, but with similar bright treble , but which is never harsh, rather being simply well expressed, and just as comfortable and wide.
- CrossZone never implies that CZ1 is any similar to HD800S, and it really isn't that similar, this is just a personal observation, because, in all fairness, itr is more of a headphone of its own. Kinda like how a well balanced flagship should sound like, wide, airy, well separated, dynamic. This being said, they are on the neutral - light side, so not a lot of bass (nowhere near LCD-2 or 4Z levels of bass), and they aren't thick or lush, CZ1 is what HD800S should have been,
- CZ1 is not overly analytical, just like a flagship should, it presents details in an organic way, without exposing the details in a way that's fatiguing, imagine they sound exactly like you'd expect a Japanese Headphone to sound like, gentle, detailed, airy, well separated, everything that high-end should be is there.
- The main complain I do have about them, and which I think you will have, is how hard they are to drive. This ain't a joke, and they require some power to reach their absolute best, but man, do they sound good when they reach that point .
- The package is also a but frugal, nothing fancy, just the headphgones, a storage box with a really nice material, and two cables.
- All in all, those are an excellent purchase, and if you can hop in the massdrop 1K USD deal, it is something I wouldn't miss, if you were looking for a HD800S headphone, but better made in terms of how things are presented. Where HD800S was still too harsh, too mature, too bright, too hot in the treble, and too lean in the bass, CZ1 is juuust right in every of those chapters.
- The bass may not be the fastest out there, it is not a very tight bass, more like a natural to slow one. The overall sound works well for metal music, but slower music may comliment them a bit better.
- Please ask if you have any questions until I finish my review (planned among the next 2-3 reviews actually)

Duv3atQW4AEe-AY.jpg:large

thanks so much you always give amazing feedback, can you confirm mids are rich and full, or are they recessed

Feb 18, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #23 of 31
I've had my pair for a few weeks. Initially, I wasn't impressed at all. The presentation sounded like glorified mono to me, as if the crossfeed was TOO powerful. I kept going back to them, however, as their comfort and build quality is exceptional... And they just have this indescribable alien element that makes them special to me. ... Still, no connection with the sound.

So, I go to CanJam for a few days and try them once more after returning... What?! These sound wonderful! It's like someone snuck into my house and swapped them out for a different pair.

The best I can describe it is as if it's the aural equivalent to one of those Magic Eye books I had when I was a kid. You can look at it forever and not get it. But once you know HOW to look at it, you connect with it and see the hidden image. I don't know if it was the time apart or what, but I'm experiencing the Crosszone CZ-1 in a completely new way now.

I'm taking down my for-sale listing for these and enjoying the hell out of them!

Feb 19, 2019 at 5:07 AM Post #24 of 31
I've had my pair for a few weeks. Initially, I wasn't impressed at all. The presentation sounded like glorified mono to me, as if the crossfeed was TOO powerful. I kept going back to them, however, as their comfort and build quality is exceptional... And they just have this indescribable alien element that makes them special to me. ... Still, no connection with the sound.

So, I go to CanJam for a few days and try them once more after returning... What?! These sound wonderful! It's like someone snuck into my house and swapped them out for a different pair.

The best I can describe it is as if it's the aural equivalent to one of those Magic Eye books I had when I was a kid. You can look at it forever and not get it. But once you know HOW to look at it, you connect with it and see the hidden image. I don't know if it was the time apart or what, but I'm experiencing the Crosszone CZ-1 in a completely new way now.

I'm taking down my for-sale listing for these and enjoying the hell out of them!

I had a similar experience, they are not impressive right away, but get more and more impressive the more you listen to them :)

Jun 14, 2021 at 5:37 AM Post #26 of 31
The best way to start the week is with a large soundstage, to widen your views and give you the best new week you can get~!

To help with this, I made a video review about the CZ-10, the smaller, more potable more affordable offer from MuSon Project, Inc., from which I also reviewed the original CZ-1, a headphone that quickly became a favorite for soundstage lovers!!

This one is really comfortable, but still manages to have a neutral sound, with an open midrange, great detail, and the same refined construction as the bigger brother! More info in the full video review, with comparisons, and the usual B-Rolls + Fun!!

Jan 28, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #27 of 31
Today I bring you a really special review, about a headphone that is closed back in design, but has the sound of speakers in a well treated room! Crosszone CZ-8A has 3 drivers in each ear, and is one of the most comfortable headphones there are, sold & supported by MuSon Project, Inc. and Leben Hi Fi!

If you've noticed the pattern, I try to bring you just the best reviews for the weekend, to have some good info to relax to, and read more about products that I find most interesting.

Best part about this headphone is that despite the soundstage that is huge, it has a forward midrange and you never have to search for the voices and forward instruments in songs, they bring everything to you in a really natural fashion. I compare them to six other flagships, and pair them with 4 competitors, so I hope my full written review is fun to read and helps you with your decision if you're looking for a flagship closed back headphone

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2...i-headphones-speaker-bass-stage-dynamics.html

Crosszone-CZ-8a-CZ8a-Headphones-Dynamic-Multi-Driver-Natural-Soundstage-Review-Audiophile-Heav...jpg

Oct 2, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #28 of 31
Does anyone know if Crosszone has a US distributor? I'm very interested in perhaps purchasing a pair of these headphones someday, but I cannot for the life of me find a company that sells them in the US

Oct 3, 2022 at 7:12 AM Post #29 of 31
Does anyone know if Crosszone has a US distributor? I'm very interested in perhaps purchasing a pair of these headphones someday, but I cannot for the life of me find a company that sells them in the US

As far as I know, they only get sold through MuSon project, you can contact them on FB, but I don't think anyone in the USA or Europe picked up official distribution yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back