CrossRoads MylarOne X3, XB, and Classic Owners Club
Jun 24, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #196 of 1,031
oh man these seem tempting
biggrin.gif

So let me get this straight. Mylarthree = Mylarone X3?

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #198 of 1,031
Awesome >:] Looks like these go on my list of things to buy along with the KSC-75's
biggrin.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #199 of 1,031
Got a quick question for you owners, Have you guys tried taking the tips from the JVC Marshmallows and stick them onto the x3's?

EDIT: Alright, I did and I guess before I wasn't getting the seal I wanted but with the tips from the Marshmallows, seems to have sealed it nicely and all the details just came jumping out at me and it seemed to get rid of the crinkling sound from the left earpiece. I think you guys should try it and see what you guys think.

http://www.jvcservice.com/store/Prod...art=J48001-001

Here's for their replacement tips, which isn't poorly priced and saves you the trouble of getting a pair of headphones for $25.

Jun 25, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #201 of 1,031
Ok let me get this streight... I don't come to the forum for 5 months and you guys decide to keep looking for new and better products??? Glad to hear things keep progressing in the IEM world.

I just got a pair of Creative's EP-630 and I can use those as a reference. How do the MylarOne X3 compare in terms of:

clarity
Bass
Mids
Treble
isolation
playing at low volumes (the EP-630 loose alot of detail a low volume)
cable/wind noises

Cheers!

Jun 25, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #202 of 1,031
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok let me get this streight... I don't come to the forum for 5 months and you guys decide to keep looking for new and better products??? Glad to hear things keep progressing in the IEM world.

I just got a pair of Creative's EP-630 and I can use those as a reference. How do the MylarOne X3 compare in terms of:

clarity
Bass
Mids
Treble
isolation
cable/wind noises

Cheers!

Forget the Creative EP-630. I just passed mine (which came as a gift) on as X3 will simply blow it away, at least it did for me.

Strangely though, my love seem to be shifting to the XB... especially the synergy with my desktop Cute Beyond amp (too bad the Beyerdynamic A1 is out of my current budget for now, as the X3 and XB sounds real good with it, ).

Moreover, I like the nicer look and fit of the XB. I use the Mylar X1 translucent "Small" tips as I felt it gave a better and fuller overall bass response, as agreed by a few friends of mine too.

YMMV. :p

Jun 25, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #203 of 1,031
X3 is the clear winner on all aspects.

The only thing I can see EP-630 is doing better is the smooth mid to bass transition which give a very warm quality of sound to it, but the lack of upper detail means EP-630 is muddy at best.

Jun 25, 2007 at 9:14 AM Post #204 of 1,031
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif

clarity
Bass
Mids
Treble
isolation
cable/wind noises

Cheers!

ep-630 only comes ahead in isolation . x3 is ahead in rest of the departments
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 10:00 AM Post #205 of 1,031
Replacement pair arrived today. Will let them burn in for a few hours at work, and then use them on the ride home with some UE tips - unsure what size yet. Sweet! Thanks Jaben
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #206 of 1,031
I haven't been too impressed with the IEMs I have gotten so far. The sound is not great and they kinda hurt my ears. But these do have me intrigued. How do they compare to say e4c (on the higher end) or Senn CX300 (on the lower end).

Jun 25, 2007 at 11:39 AM Post #207 of 1,031
im not too hot on the FX33 tips, or anything related to those evil noise generating pieces of audio hell,

modded a pair of FX33 and put CX300 tips on them, the scraping sound, it was so rough and evil, my god, i cant get it out of my head, like someone scraping my ear drum with a shovel,

Jun 25, 2007 at 12:17 PM Post #208 of 1,031
Now that's a first... You sure it wasn't the gray tubing because I found it to be like a foamie but worked perfectly... Once I stick them in my ears and let them expand, no sound comes from them and they are comfy...

Jun 26, 2007 at 7:38 AM Post #209 of 1,031
I’ll try to contribute to this forum as much as possible but some will perhaps find my review not very helpful because of my little experience with headphones and players:
My portable device is a Nokia phone N73 and since I have no comparison with dedicated mp3 players, I can’t tell you if it’s a bad or acceptable player.
When it comes to my headphone experience it’s also limited since my best reference is a KSC75 I owned a few months ago. The other IEM (or canalphone) I know are a Sparkplug that I find boomy and congested (it needs a lot of EQ to open a little mids and highs if one can speak about high with this IEM) and an EX51 that is not a reference but definitively better than the sparkplug. So no experience with high end IEM like ety, westone or shure.

Coming back to the X3:

First about the delivery from Jaben: it took only about 10 days to arrive in France after I placed my order. Good service. The 5$ declaration value is also a good point. Unfortunately, it’s not the new X3 design: mine has the red and blue plastic parts that make them not sexy at all. No matter, I ordered it for SQ. (I ordered the package with CK5 for my son)

Then I burned my X3 for about 20 hours playing my music thanks to head-fier recommendation. I only listened a few times during those first hours but initially I found the sound a bit too clear and perhaps on the harsh side. Then after, the sig changed to warmer and smoother sound, definitely not harsh or tiring. (I feel that the burning time is not only related to SQ improvement of the headphone but also to ear/brain “adaptation” to a new sound signature)

So compared to my KSC75 which is the best headphone experience for me:

Detail and accuracy: it’s definitely better with my X3. I hear a lot of subtle sounds I’ve never heard in my songs. Separation is also very good: you can easily follow each instrument and switch from one to the other without effort. Very good point.

Soundstage: here it’s the big step down compared to my KSC75
mad.gif
but it seems to be the price to pay for isolation. The good detail and separation of the X3 tend to compensate a little for soundstage loss.

Bass: Not very strong and deep but fast enough to make them alive and not overhelming the mids.
Mids: Great clarity and voice rendition
Highs: Seems to be less extended or less sparkling than my KSC75.

Fit: I have no isolation problems with the sony tips (med size) but I can feel a suction in my ears that it’s a little painful (it’s the indication of a good seal). Perhaps I should try the UE tips to see if it improves the comfort. They’re also very easy to insert and remove.

Build quality: nothing to complain about.

Conclusion:

Compared to my KSC75, I gained isolation, detail and clarity but lost the soundstage and a bit of the highs that make the music really shine. Then I’ll use the X3 as a complement of my KSC75 for noisy environment. If any manufacturer can find how to improve soundstage of IEM and at the same time keep the detail and clarity that would be like being in heaven…

Jun 26, 2007 at 8:35 AM Post #210 of 1,031
I must have funny ears - I found the X3 had a pretty good sound(head?)stage compared to other canals/IEMs. It'd be pushing it expecting better than the open, supra-aural 75 tho!

Agree 110% about the details -these things really do make it easy to follow the small stuff...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back