CrossRoads MylarOne X3, XB, and Classic Owners Club
Jul 26, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #616 of 1,031
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
recabling with shure cables would be kinda cool. As those cables are awesome...

Has anyone tried the XBs? Do they have around the same clarity just with more bass?

The XBs lack clarity, but the bass is definitely more defined. I own a pair of both, once I've given the XBs another week or so of listening, I'll put a comparison up.

FWIW I prefer the XBs, as I listen to drumnbass 95% of the time
280smile.gif

OH - one (great) thing that the XBs have over the X3s is that the driver is smaller, so they go deeper into your ears, and don't stick out as much, and create a far superior seal. This is using UE medium tips.

Jul 26, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #617 of 1,031
i own a XB, dont own a x3,
heres my short observation:

the highs dont seem to be lacking point, a bit harsh sometimes

but the advantage make up for much more than the lacking..
the BASS!!
the XB has some REALLY good bass impact,depth (with some good source)
havent tried superfi.eb or so maybe its just my 1st quality phone, but..
pretty happy with it

etysmile.gif
<-mylarsmile?..lol

Jul 26, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #618 of 1,031
Quote:

Originally Posted by copain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i own a XB, dont own a x3,
heres my short observation:

the highs dont seem to be lacking point, a bit harsh sometimes

but the advantage make up for much more than the lacking..
the BASS!!
the XB has some REALLY good bass impact,depth (with some good source)
havent tried superfi.eb or so maybe its just my 1st quality phone, but..
pretty happy with it

etysmile.gif
<-mylarsmile?..lol

Glad to see you enjoyoing your XB's.

Jul 26, 2007 at 7:07 PM Post #619 of 1,031
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, maybe just a touch too much for me. I'm using the shure E2 foamies small. Maybe you should try some foamies. Granted I haven't put hundreds of hours on these, so I haven't reach the bass decrease mode some folks have talked about.

Things do seem to lean out some, for me it was ~130 hours or so. I'm at ~200 hours now. The peaks and valleys aren't as large (collapsing, if you can visualize) and it seems smoother. The highs, did seem to deviate for the worse though. It seems harsher, possibly since the bass isn't the main draw now, more metallic sounding is the only way I can put it. It's seeming more sibilant as well, there's a more pronounced cchhh-cchhh that I didn't notice before.

I moved back to the stop tips, since the E2 soft-flex seemed to emphasize the higher end harshness, and it didn't seem to fit right. I'll have to order some UE tips sometime and give them a go.

Jul 27, 2007 at 11:18 AM Post #620 of 1,031
Hmm.. I still don't know what I want. The X3s aren't completely lacking in bass are they? I'm not a basshead (I don't think so anyway), but I want the bass to be there. What about the XBs? Does everything else suffer THAT much? And they're metal right? Not too heavy, I hope.

One last thing, how long are the cables on these things?? Thanks in advance, and sorry for all the questions :p.

Jul 27, 2007 at 11:37 AM Post #621 of 1,031
For those of you using the UE foam tips. How long do they usually last before you have to buy a new pair of tips?

Jul 27, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #622 of 1,031
depends on how clean your ears are (im not calling you dirty, im just saying that different people produce different ammounts of ear wax),

when you notice theres a differenace in sound, the foam is orangy and harder to press, it might be time to replace it,

Jul 27, 2007 at 2:37 PM Post #623 of 1,031
Quote:

Originally Posted by b35ty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The X3s aren't completely lacking in bass are they?

Nope, not at all. The sound sig remains warm and the bottom end is there, but it becomes less prominent in time.

Quote:

One last thing, how long are the cables on these things??

Standard length, about 3-4 ft. or so. I didn't measure it.

Jul 27, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #624 of 1,031
UE tips arived, the Small ultimate ears tips just gave me a new pair of canalphones, i cant belive the differance, all the saturation is almost gone, the sound is clearer.

Jul 27, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #625 of 1,031
Quote:

And they're metal right? Not too heavy, I hope.

a bit heavier, but you wont feel that much of a difference when you use them..

the thing is, when you pick them up quickly,
the phones hit each other and gives a "click" sound,
wth?? oh its my alluminium phones.

etysmile.gif

Jul 27, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #626 of 1,031
Pheww. Just read the whole thread and I really like the sound of the X3s, just a few questions though. I currently use Sennheiser CX300s and I'm basiclly looking for a step up for under £30 (around US$60)... So I'd like your opinion on weather I should go for these or some Shure E2Cs... I'm no audiophile and I don't really know what some of you are talking about with the mids and whatever, I just like a nice bit of bass for my rock music. I'm also a bit concerned about the build quality of these things... do they really break easily, as in just having them in your pocket and if so is it just a simple superglue fix?

Thanks very much for your help already and sorry for so many questions xP

Jul 28, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #627 of 1,031
Quote:

Originally Posted by XEN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pheww. Just read the whole thread and I really like the sound of the X3s, just a few questions though. I currently use Sennheiser CX300s and I'm basiclly looking for a step up for under £30 (around US$60)... So I'd like your opinion on weather I should go for these or some Shure E2Cs... I'm no audiophile and I don't really know what some of you are talking about with the mids and whatever, I just like a nice bit of bass for my rock music. I'm also a bit concerned about the build quality of these things... do they really break easily, as in just having them in your pocket and if so is it just a simple superglue fix?

Welcome to Head-fi! The build quality of the X3s varies, as you have probably gathered from this thread. My left earphone split at the silver band after a few days of use. However, it is a simple superglue fix and you probably won't have the problem again. It is not that they are "breaking" it's just that they use a weak glue and they come apart where the pieces separate. It's not even a fix, just putting them back together with stronger glue.

In fact, I'm kind of glad that my left one came apart because it made me realize how accessible the driver was and led me to mod them with the cable from my iPhone.

As far as the e2c is concerned: I've never heard it personally, but I had the e3c and was not a big fan. A good IEM is the Etymotic Er6i. Amazon has it for $72 USD but you might be able to find it for slightly less. Overall though I would heartily recommend the X3s (for the price they can't be beat), you will not be disappointed.

Jul 28, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #628 of 1,031
My package came in yesterday! These phones indeed are very pleasant to listen to. However, since I have a Meizu, they did sound a bit mechanical, as reported by some Meizu users. Hopefully in the future they will last me long enough to try them on my future D2!

Kinda odd that the package that came was the second one David shipped. I can tell because both the boxes had varying addresses. I also looked at the label UPS stuck on the box and I saw $55 on the box. Did David pay that much for shipping?! I felt bad thinking about him having to multiple packages to packages who haven't received them yet. He did include a pair of Audio Technica CK1s, but they're feminine in color, so I gave them to my sister. She used the Marshmallows, and this is her first non-foam earphones
biggrin.gif
. I listened to them briefly, seems like they're very bassy and warm. Need more time with them of course.

Great service! Even though the shippers took a month to ship them.

Jul 28, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #629 of 1,031
Order a pair of X3s yesterday, they were shipped today. Anyone have any idea how long it takes to get to Chicago? I know that's the place EMS shipping usually drops them off. I'd LOVE to have them by Tuesday, before I go on my trip.

Jul 28, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #630 of 1,031
Quote:

Originally Posted by XEN /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi & welcome to the Penury Palace! I have both E2c & X3, and of the two, I would also recommend X3 - it's cheaper, the SQ is pretty damn great for the £££, and E2c, tho having a nice warm mids presentation, doesn't reveal details as much as the X3 plus its treble is not its strong point (unless you mod them which brightens them up a tad). I still have a lot of affection for my E2c - they were my first IEM & I still enjoy them, but the X3 sees more use. I have been surprised how easily the X3 allows me to notice details of production etc. I'm currently exploring the UE tips for all my in-ear phones, & the grey UE foams are combining well with X3.

For $57, you simply can't go wrong, especially if you consider Jaben's reputation for excellent customer service.

Happy hunting
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back