Crossroads Mylar Three, Super.fi sound?
May 4, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #121 of 458
For those who need more help and info on the crossroads mylars, check out the link on my signature and enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

May 4, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #122 of 458
I can't resist/wait for someone to buy my super.fi 3's, I just ordered them.

Now lets see if someone buys the iems to make up for the lost dough.
frown.gif

May 4, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #124 of 458
For users who can't seem to get the right fits, try the ck7/9 tips. I must say it definitely fits better than the stock tips. I was quite dissapointed of the mylar3s after buying them as it did not sound like the 1 i auditioned in Jaben. But after the burn ins and changing of tips it was much better.

I tried the bi-flanges too. It will give better isolation and bass, but eats away the clarity and brightness. There are better tips out there though. But i think the ck7/9 is one of the best.

May 4, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #125 of 458
finally got my mylarone M3 this afternoon. didnt realy want to give any impressions til its properly burn-in but what the hell....! here's my $0.02 on the M3 on the 1st day.

initial impression with the M3 as fitted with medium tips is....clean, clear but seriously lean. What happened to the bass and highs???
confused.gif
dicked around with the tips and finally settled on the large (funny as i usualy take medium) as it provided me with the best seal. ahh...much better! bass is deeper and highend extension seems better. overall, initial impressions are of creamy smooth butter. no hint of any sibilance or fatigue which is excellent for brand new cans. left it playing with the shuffle even when im not listening.....

8 hours later, i finally got home and tried it again. not too much changes from before and im still having a bitch of a time with fit. man...the provided tips sure sux. i hope mylarone improves on this. wait, i remembered i had some leftover tips from a long forgotton philips she9500. dug it out and tried it the L tips. much better fit as the silicon is slightly harder than the M3. WoW! big bass so much so its almost too much but it seems i mite have lost abit of highend extension.

for those M3 owners who think its lean, find the right tips to give u the best seal. trust me the bass is there and IMO more than enuff for techno addicts
rolleyes.gif

so for the 1st day, not too bad. big bad bass but slightly muffled rolled off highs (she9500 tips) or leaner bass but cleaner upper end (ori tips). almost like 2fons in 1!
biggrin.gif
with either tips, smooth's the word. the M3 has smooth and silky written all over. dont quote me now but of all the porty cans i own, the M3 reminds me of the AT ES7 but less refined in the bass and not as detailed overall (for now).

as this is only the 1st day. i expect some changes (or as in the case of the ES7 and iM716, massive changes) in about 100-200 hours of burn-in. again this is only my opinion and YMMV
evil_smiley.gif

edited on:FWIW, except for the initial 15mins with the shuffle, all of my listening were done with the M3 amped (with either GV6 driven by 24v PSU and Tomahawk) offa ipod lineout.

May 4, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #126 of 458
Yeah tips make a HUGE difference with these... night and day difference IMHO.

I usually bounce back and forth between UE super-fi mediums or MDR-EX51/90 smalls.

May 4, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #127 of 458
I've been going back and forth between the bass-heavy MB's and the relatively neutral M3's. The MB's are a definite favorite for rock and roll in the gym. I think I'd favor M3's for classical or jazz in a more quiet environment, and yes you do need a good seal to get the bass, as I've found is true for any IEM.

I think these are a sensational value. My $300 Westone UM2's are more refined overall but the Crossroads are probably the least expensive can's I've ever heard that I could live with long term and enjoy.

Art

May 4, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #129 of 458
Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraEvo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For users who can't seem to get the right fits, try the ck7/9 tips. I must say it definitely fits better than the stock tips. I was quite dissapointed of the mylar3s after buying them as it did not sound like the 1 i auditioned in Jaben. But after the burn ins and changing of tips it was much better.

I tried the bi-flanges too. It will give better isolation and bass, but eats away the clarity and brightness. There are better tips out there though. But i think the ck7/9 is one of the best.

ck7/9? Can you please elaborate?

May 5, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #131 of 458
I'm using SHE9500 med tips on these. Fantastic.
For the benefit of Singapore headfi-ers, clips(and cable wrap, maybe?) will be arriving with the next batch of M3s. Just head down to Jaben and pick up what you need.
In response to the sucky tips problem, I believe Wilson is getting a special shipment of Sony tips for the M3s. God bless the man, we sure are lucky to have him.

May 5, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #132 of 458
At the Head-fi show in San Jose, the fellow who was selling and showing off the Crossroads Mylar 3 also was selling and showing off the Mylar B.

Early on Saturday he was calling them Mylar 2, so I suspect a name change occured, for good reason.... They are roughly the same size and fit as the Mylar 3, look different though, but they have much more bass than the M3 with a bit less treble and midrange detail. I felt that overall they were of the same quality as the M3, but with a different frequency balance.

Calling them M2 suggests they are either better or worse than the M3's, depending on whether you think a higher model number suggests better or worse....

Actually they are different.

The "B" stands for, I suspect, "Bass".

I struggled to decide which I prefer, decided to buy both, and ended up using the MB for the gym (preferring it over the M3 for the gym, due to bass needs of rock and roll). However for listening to voice or acoustic music I'd prefer the M3.

What I like about these models is that they are relatively inexpensive and yet refined enough to "make the cut", that is, they are enjoyable for listening. By contrast, I've not been happy with other cans I've tried under $100.

Art

May 5, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #133 of 458
Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraEvo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I mean the tips for ck7 or ck9 since they both have the same tips.

Do you have the CK7? Can you please post your thoughts comparing the CK7 and Mylar 3? I was thinking of getting the CK7s but now I think I'm about to order the Mylar 3. (not very happy with the JBL 220 I just got).

May 6, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #135 of 458
Quote:

Originally Posted by tmushy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the shure e4c tips fit these headphones? I have a few extra here

I don't think so as the shure e4 nozzle is a bit small. But I know that shure e2 sleeves fit as I have tried them and also due to the fact that shure E2 has a larger nozzle.
As mentioned above, other sleeves that fit include the CK7/9, Sony tips, Creative EP630, Philips SHE9500 and UE tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back