Crossroads Mylar Three, Super.fi sound?
May 18, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #271 of 458
I was just looking at Jaben's site earlier today and went to look back just now and all the sudden I see a new item showing up - "CrossRoads MylarOne XB Earphone (With Free Timbuk2 iPod Flip Case)" for $65, $8 more than the X3 price. Is this a new model? Anyone have any information about it?

May 18, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #272 of 458
Quote:

Originally Posted by Moebius /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just looking at Jaben's site earlier today and went to look back just now and all the sudden I see a new item showing up - "CrossRoads MylarOne XB Earphone (With Free Timbuk2 iPod Flip Case)" for $65, $9 more than the X3 price. Is this a new model? Anyone have any information about it?

I believe that is what was formerly nicknamed the "MylarTwo", but it appears they renamed it to XB with the B standing for BASS. These are supposedly the bassy model, probably the same way the super.fi 5 EB is to the Pro version.

May 18, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #273 of 458
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that is what was formerly nicknamed the "MylarTwo", but it appears they renamed it to XB with the B standing for BASS. These are supposedly the bassy model, probably the same way the super.fi 5 EB is to the Pro version.

B for bass is what I was guessing, but it sounds then like it's more like an older version than a new revision. And as for your comparison, everyone always seems to chose the Pro over the EB... makes me think I should go with the X3. I'll see what Jaben can tell me about it.

May 18, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #274 of 458
Mylarone XB = Mylar2 according to Headphonehaven. However, I don't see why the XB would be more expensive if the X3 is considered a better phone.

*Edit: Beat me to it
smily_headphones1.gif

May 18, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #275 of 458
Quote:

Originally Posted by dropkickduffy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mylarone XB = Mylar2 according to Headphonehaven. However, I don't see why the XB would be more expensive if the X3 is considered a better phone.

*Edit: Beat me to it
smily_headphones1.gif

maybe let me clarify a bit here. X3 is not consider to be better than XB. It more of a personal sound preference. number do not represent there 1 is higher end than the other. maybe that is the reason for why Mylars are rename to Classic, XB and X3.

May 18, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #276 of 458
Well, just opened the box and stuck in the Mylarone X3s, and doing an A/B test with the M5s, and I have to say, I think I prefer the X3s. Keep moving back and forth, and to my ears, the X3s are the perfect canalphone sound for the price. Using PA2v2 amp, and also unamped, and the X3s just sound better. I have no technical reason to say so, just the sound is more detailed, inviting, clean, etc. I certainly have to give it more time, but if this holds, I will be selling off the M5s. One thing I don't like about the M5s is their form factor. Hate wearing IEMs over the ear, and they have a funny shape for hanging down (doesn't anyone by Ety see the value in the clip?). Anyway, a few days and I will know. But out of the box (no burn-in even), the X3s just sound spectacular to me. Mindset? Not sure. But going back and forth, and forth and back, and all things equal (EQ, volume, etc.), the X3s are in the lead.

Oh, I changed to the small tips I got with a set of Creative EP-630s. The smaller tips give me a good isolation, much deeper. Very comfortable. Didn't like the mediums as much, and large is too large.

Might be down to the ER4Ps, PK1s and X3s soon.

May 19, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #277 of 458
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, just opened the box and stuck in the Mylarone X3s, and doing an A/B test with the M5s, and I have to say, I think I prefer the X3s. Keep moving back and forth, and to my ears, the X3s are the perfect canalphone sound for the price. Using PA2v2 amp, and also unamped, and the X3s just sound better. I have no technical reason to say so, just the sound is more detailed, inviting, clean, etc. I certainly have to give it more time, but if this holds, I will be selling off the M5s. One thing I don't like about the M5s is their form factor. Hate wearing IEMs over the ear, and they have a funny shape for hanging down (doesn't anyone by Ety see the value in the clip?). Anyway, a few days and I will know. But out of the box (no burn-in even), the X3s just sound spectacular to me. Mindset? Not sure. But going back and forth, and forth and back, and all things equal (EQ, volume, etc.), the X3s are in the lead.

Oh, I changed to the small tips I got with a set of Creative EP-630s. The smaller tips give me a good isolation, much deeper. Very comfortable. Didn't like the mediums as much, and large is too large.

Might be down to the ER4Ps, PK1s and X3s soon.

Thanks. This EXACTLY just what I wanted. Ive sent you a PM question about X3's bass impact quantity.

May 19, 2007 at 8:19 AM Post #278 of 458
Does anyone have a picture wearing the X3's? How much do they stick out of your ear?
Can you wear the cables over the ear to avoid microphonics?

Thanks

May 19, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #281 of 458
Guys, the new stock of M3 have just arrived yesterday at Jaben. Included are new accessories: strap on the red case, airplane adapter, Sony tips instead of the crap ones, cable clip and cable wrap. They were flying outta the store yesterday with many simply given away during the lucky draw. Get them fast!

p.s. They don't stick out much, kinda like the ep630. They can be worn over the ears, but the stiffer cable don't make it as stable as the um1s. I've since stopped wearing them over the ears and am using the cable clip to good effect.

May 19, 2007 at 2:19 PM Post #282 of 458
I picked up the Mylar MB and Mylar M3 at the recent San Jose show and I have a lot of experience now with both. (now renamed XB and X3 I surmise). Actually it was at the show that "Uncle Wilson" first seemed to decide to rename the bass-heavy ones MB instead of M2.

Anyway, to my ear they are of roughly equal overall quality and both an excellent value. More to the point, I could be very happy owning the X3 for general listening to all types of music. It is, to me, of high enough quality that I would not pine for more. The XB is more specialized for bassy music. While the X3 seems very linear with a lively top end, the XB is biased towards the bass, a little less treble air and detail, and is AWESOME for rock and roll or rap music. I love to use the XB at the gym.

I sent a pair of MB's to my younger nephew who has hated every pair of earphones he ever tried except for the Vmoda vibes (talk about bass heavy). Well he now also loves the MB. BTW, the MB is to my ear not as over-the-top bass heavy as the vibes, and has more mid and high end detail than the vibes.

Neither of these are as refined as the IEM's in the $200 - $500 range. We are not talking about that league. HOWEVER, I really want to emphasize this, that I find these earphones satisfying enough that I could live with them long term. I am a very picky audiophile, frankly - I don't like most solid state amplification, for example, and end up usually with tube amps in my home stereo. So it does surprise me that I'd find earphones at this price point that impress me.

Art

May 19, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #283 of 458
Quote:

Originally Posted by artmaltman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up the Mylar MB and Mylar M3 at the recent San Jose show and I have a lot of experience now with both. (now renamed XB and X3 I surmise). Actually it was at the show that "Uncle Wilson" first seemed to decide to rename the bass-heavy ones MB instead of M2.

Anyway, to my ear they are of roughly equal overall quality and both an excellent value. More to the point, I could be very happy owning the X3 for general listening to all types of music. It is, to me, of high enough quality that I would not pine for more. The XB is more specialized for bassy music. While the X3 seems very linear with a lively top end, the XB is biased towards the bass, a little less treble air and detail, and is AWESOME for rock and roll or rap music. I love to use the XB at the gym.

I sent a pair of MB's to my younger nephew who has hated every pair of earphones he ever tried except for the Vmoda vibes (talk about bass heavy). Well he now also loves the MB. BTW, the MB is to my ear not as over-the-top bass heavy as the vibes, and has more mid and high end detail than the vibes.

Neither of these are as refined as the IEM's in the $200 - $500 range. We are not talking about that league. HOWEVER, I really want to emphasize this, that I find these earphones satisfying enough that I could live with them long term. I am a very picky audiophile, frankly - I don't like most solid state amplification, for example, and end up usually with tube amps in my home stereo. So it does surprise me that I'd find earphones at this price point that impress me.

Art

x2... IMHO they are not going to dethrone the 200-$500 range balanced armature IEMs in terms of transient speed and detail resolution. To my ears, the crossroads phones don't have the resolution and fast/snappy transient response of the more costly balanced armature IEMs I demo'd at headfest.

So members should keep this in mind... that they lean more to the warm-groovy side of the spectrum than the fast/analytical end.

**edit**
I am citing this as a sonic difference, not necessarily a personal preference.

May 19, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #284 of 458
Quote:

Originally Posted by EEXO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Ichinichi,

does the UE universal fit kit includes a pair of bi-flanges?

Idealsound's site indicates that a pair is included but ultimateears.com indicates otherwise.

update on this for those interested:

EEXO found out from iDealSound that the bi-flanges COME WITH THE UFITKIT
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 19, 2007 at 2:30 PM Post #285 of 458
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2... IMHO they are not going to dethrone the 200-$500 range balanced armature IEMs. To my ears, the crossroads phones don't have the detail resolution and fast/snappy transient response of even a $90 d-jays IEM. (let alone a $150 ER4).

So members should keep this in mind... that they lean more to the warm-groovy side of the spectrum than the fast/analytical end.

perhaps its just my newbness or my own preference, but i actually liked the m3 over e4g?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back