crossroads amps..anyone using?
May 28, 2007 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

surge

100+ Head-Fier
hi, today after trying the UM1, UM2 and X3, i got the x3 cos price ratio seems the best. although the UM2 is the clear winner, wasnt ready to spend the kind of $ for earphones.

then my itchy mouth go asked about what the little black box. uncle wilson told me about it and let me try a crossroad headphone amp( dunno what model but the whole metal casing plus its portable attracted me).

it sounded soooo good w my ipod and x3.

qn: it is better to just get e UM2 or spend the money on e amp?

was thinking amp can use at home too w laptop speakers too. will the amp help?

sorry i am totally new to these things. thanks for your help!

May 28, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 9
what kind of laptop speaker we are talking? The amp might not have enough juice to power it.

I will say get the 'phone first... but if you are not going to need 2 pair of 'phone (and on the fact that they are both canalphone), than get the amp.

May 29, 2007 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what kind of laptop speaker we are talking? The amp might not have enough juice to power it.

I will say get the 'phone first... but if you are not going to need 2 pair of 'phone (and on the fact that they are both canalphone), than get the amp.

thanks!

my laptop speakers are ordinary cambridge soundworks speakers. they are powered w a woofer. more for gaming. its power though. will the amp help?

spend hours on the ipod last night cos the music was so enjoyable w the x3( i cant imagine w a amp). there were so much more to listen, so much details.

May 29, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thanks!

my laptop speakers are ordinary cambridge soundworks speakers. they are powered w a woofer. more for gaming. its power though. will the amp help?

spend hours on the ipod last night cos the music was so enjoyable w the x3( i cant imagine w a amp). there were so much more to listen, so much details.

May 29, 2007 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 9
Your speaker already have an amp build-in, it is how computer speaker are now. You can connect your headphone amp to it but I doubt much will be change since the build-in amp (kind of a power amp) is much more powerful than your headphone amp.

Again, you need to find out which present more value to you at this moment (of course, eventually you will fall in the same trap as all Head-fier did and ends up buying all of them
smily_headphones1.gif
). Another IEM give you more 'surface' value, but it is only in the case that you actually need two pair of 'phone. If you only plan to use one of them at most of the time, I'll say get the amp and start saving money for the next 'phone upgrade.

Me? I just couldn't get enough
tongue.gif

May 29, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #7 of 9
The CrossRoads was my first amp. I haven't been to Jaben lately so I am not sure if CrossRoads released a new amp.

Personally, I find the amp has a slightly bloated mid-bass that can muddy things up. However, if you are amping from the headphone out you should really try it out with your 'phones and DAP first before committing. There were occasions where I prefer it to other more "branded" amps when amping from the headphone out with certain IEMs. In a sense, you can call it temperamental and is fussy about the equipment that it pairs with.

May 29, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #8 of 9
I saw a lots of Go-vibe 5 on Uncle Wilson's desk, maybe you want to get those a trial first?

BTW, My usual path of upgrade comes at headphone > source > amp (NOT a cable guy).

May 29, 2007 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 9
btw anyone knows how to change the rip rate w itunes? uncle wilson said i should rip at 'lostless' so that the amp will really make a difference. but how to change that? pardon the qn cos i am really ignorant about sure things...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back