Crochet-Cush, a W5000 Phat Pad Mod
Jul 9, 2011 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Butler

100+ Head-Fier
I'm sure everyone is familiar with the various incarnations of the phat pad mods that exist for various headphones. The idea is to lift the pads a bit for various reasons, including but not limited to a different sound and comfort. Many people, at least for the W5000's, line under the pad with medical tubing or climbing rope. I decided to persue this mod not because I was interested in changing the sound stage but because of fit. The W5000's are circumaural but the pads for me would get flat and ultimately act like on ears, and it wasn't comfortable. Also, by lifting the pads it creates a better seal- something that the W5000 has an issue with. I imagined how comfortable they would be if they actually lifted the headphone over my ear and my ear wasnt touching the driver. That's how I ended up here.

Teaming up with my fiance, we created the Crochet-Cush. I measured the pad, and I knew how big climbing rope was- explained it to her- and she got to work. 

These are the inserts that she made. About the size of climbing rope, and they fit perfectly under the pad of the headphones.
They give it a nice lift that I've seen with other aftermarket pads that people use on various headphones- like the J Cush. Ultimately inside, they make more of slight bowl over the ear. I expect the actual lift to give way a bit as they break in- something that makes this superior to tubing or rope. Hopefully this is the case.

The fit is amazing. It reminds me a lot of the AD700's I had, where it feels like you're not really even wearing headphones. The wings help alot with this. My ear no longer touches the driver. Of course the leather beats the velour. :wink:

Now for the sound changes. It's imperitive to note that my W5000's are equipped with the F5005 mod. If you're not familiar with it, you could read up on it via the link in my signature. The F5005 is a MUST DO reversable mod for W5000 owners. Long story short, it peps up the bass, calms the fatiguing high mids, increases isolation, at the expense of bringing the soundstage a little more forward and closed. It addressed most if not all of my issues with the original W5000 sound signature.

With the driver a few milimiters from my ear, as opposed to pretty much on it- I've gotten back some of that sound stage. I was expecting to lose the bass that I had gained from the F5005 mod, but it's still around. It doesn't punch as hard it seems (it barely punched before) but it resonates well. The voices are somewhat more recessed and it is even less shiny and fatiguing that the F5005s.

All and all I really like it. If they dont break in and get somewhat smaller, I may have my lady fashion me up a pair that is smaller than climbing rope... But for now these are definitely staying in. I'd like to hear your guy's thoughts on these. Im a novice at most of all this.

Oct 27, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 3
Want to ask if those rubber tubes in an exercise bands work?

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #3 of 3
Want to ask if those rubber tubes in an exercise bands work?

I dont understand your question.

Im aware that rubber tubes are used to accomplish this same thing, but this was cheaper and is easier to customize the girth of the padding.

I've yet to get her to make the thinner ones though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back