Critique my setup. What would you upgrade next?
Aug 30, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #16 of 24
I'm not trying to prove anything to you at all, I'm trying to inform to the OP that the Gustard is a good upgrade for planers, but YMMV obviously. I never knocked the V200 once. I'm sure it's great amp as well, but you can't argue that the Gustard isn't an upgrade when you've never directly said that you used any planar with either amp. Just vague statements about the V200 being better, somehow.

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #17 of 24
  I've had a H10 in my system. It's not a real upgrade over your amp. A real V200 would be. Good luck.

Quote:

The H10 isn't it. I suggested a V200, as it does offer a true upgrade, sonically.

No doubt that your opinion is firm but you present it as if these were facts, which they aren't. In fact Like others, I've found that these amps ARE pretty close. Not identical, but definitely (very) similar. To my ears.

Aug 30, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #18 of 24
If you like the sound of your headphones (and obviously you do) then do not change them. What remains are DAC and amp. I do not know your DAC so I cannot comment on that but there are certainly better dacs around - the question is only for how much more money ?

When we are talking about amp - it seems to me that you like overall signature of Shiit Asguard. Therefore, reasonable upgrade path would be to go for Shiit Mjolnir 2. Never compaired them but Mjolnir 2 should be not  only more powerfull but also better sounding amp. And it doesn't cost a fortune.

What you certainly should try is to play with cables, power filtering and things like that. With a modest investment you might improve the sound of your system. And that playing will keep you away from likes of STAX or McIntosh MHA100, which sound really good but cost a lot ... :)

Aug 30, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #19 of 24
  If you like the sound of your headphones (and obviously you do) then do not change them. What remains are DAC and amp. I do not know your DAC so I cannot comment on that but there are certainly better dacs around - the question is only for how much more money ?

When we are talking about amp - it seems to me that you like overall signature of Shiit Asguard. Therefore, reasonable upgrade path would be to go for Shiit Mjolnir 2. Never compaired them but Mjolnir 2 should be not  only more powerfull but also better sounding amp. And it doesn't cost a fortune.

What you certainly should try is to play with cables, power filtering and things like that. With a modest investment you might improve the sound of your system. And that playing will keep you away from likes of STAX or McIntosh MHA100, which sound really good but cost a lot ... :)

Thanks, yeah another big part of my liking these headphones is the comfort factor, as well.  The Sennheiser HD-600s clamped a bit too much on my oversized noggin.  I decided to give the Gustard H10 a go, it'll probably be a week or 2 before it arrives.  And like you said, I do plan to play around with cables.  I didn't really consider power filtering, but might.  Any recommendations for brands to check into for those?  I've head of Blue jean cables, and do own one evergreen cable.

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #20 of 24
Try Lapp power cable (version Oeflex CY110 3G2,5). It is very cheap (several euros a meter) and it can open the sound sometimes. Put some decent connectors on it. If you have some money to spare, then try rhodium stuff. If the budget is tight, go for pure Copper connectors ( without gold or anything on the top).

When you finish that kind of playing, try some power filtering units. In general they are expencieve and mostly unpredictible (especially if they are passive) but you can try it first in your system and then decide whether it is worth spending money on it.

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #21 of 24
I'm not trying to prove anything to you at all, I'm trying to inform to the OP that the Gustard is a good upgrade for planers, but YMMV obviously. I never knocked the V200 once. I'm sure it's great amp as well, but you can't argue that the Gustard isn't an upgrade when you've never directly said that you used any planar with either amp. Just vague statements about the V200 being better, somehow.

I never said that. In that; I said that I don't own planar cans. I heard HE500 with both in my own system. Please stop.

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #22 of 24
No doubt that your opinion is firm but you present it as if these were facts, which they aren't. In fact Like others, I've found that these amps ARE pretty close. Not identical, but definitely (very) similar. To my ears.

You've listened to both next to each other in your own system? Really? Then you'd be the only one. I've read the H10 thread. There are no "others." It's just an assertion that keeps getting repeated over and over.

Aug 30, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #24 of 24
[quote name="moriez" url="/t/779160/critique-my-setup-what-would-you-upgrade-next/15#post_11878381"]I did and you're right about it mainly being an assertion but.. that's not the point. I think you know the part before the bold is the point. YMMV, IMO, etc.

Sorry for going off-topic :|
[/quote]

If you mean the point is that folks are comparing the two amps without hearing one of them, okey-dokey. That's credible. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back