Critique my setup. What would you upgrade next?
Aug 28, 2015 at 6:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

plainbagel

Head-Fier
PC -> Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 (w/op-amp upgrades) -> Schiit Asgard 2 -> Hifiman HE400i.

Note:  I'm thinking about plunging for an LCD-2; I like the HE400i's so much it's only got me thinking how to improve lol.  But my concern would be then the rest of my setup may fall short to deliver true performance to them.

Thanks in advance!

Aug 28, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 24
  PC -> Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 (w/op-amp upgrades) -> Schiit Asgard 2 -> Hifiman HE400i.

Note:  I'm thinking about plunging for an LCD-2; I like the HE400i's so much it's only got me thinking how to improve lol.  But my concern would be then the rest of my setup may fall short to deliver true performance to them.

Thanks in advance!

It depends on what you're going for in terms of sound. The LCD 2 (pre fazor) is going to surprise you with a lot of bass if you're trying to find a 'better' HE-400i. 

If you're wanting a sound change, get a different headphone. 

If you want to get the most out of the 400i, get a different amp. I recommend the Gustard H10 (supposedly a Violectric V200 clone) I have one and it's amazing with planar headphones.

If I were to recommend a headphone based on you liking the HE400i, I would recommend the Beyerdynamic T1. The bass response is comparable, the treble is tapered off similar to the 400i, and it can pull the details out of music better IMO.

Aug 29, 2015 at 3:13 AM Post #3 of 24
I'd upgrade the headphones.

And if the rest of your system "falls short", 
as it may,
you'll be able to go through the (hopefully) enjoyable process of upgrading your other components.

wink.gif

Aug 29, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #5 of 24
  It depends on what you're going for in terms of sound. The LCD 2 (pre fazor) is going to surprise you with a lot of bass if you're trying to find a 'better' HE-400i. 

If you're wanting a sound change, get a different headphone. 

If you want to get the most out of the 400i, get a different amp. I recommend the Gustard H10 (supposedly a Violectric V200 clone) I have one and it's amazing with planar headphones.

If I were to recommend a headphone based on you liking the HE400i, I would recommend the Beyerdynamic T1. The bass response is comparable, the treble is tapered off similar to the 400i, and it can pull the details out of music better IMO.

How much difference would the Gustard H10 amp make?  The Asgard 2 has volume to spare, I guess you mean in terms of sound quality it's worth the purchase?

Aug 29, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #7 of 24
How much difference would the Gustard H10 amp make?  The Asgard 2 has volume to spare, I guess you mean in terms of sound quality it's worth the purchase?

I've had a H10 in my system. It's not a real upgrade over your amp. A real V200 would be. Good luck.

We're you using it with planar headphones or dynamics?

Aug 29, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 24
We're you using it with planar headphones or dynamics?

I only own dynamics.

That's why you don't understand my recommendation. Planar drivers demand more power than dynamics do. You can get all the volume you want out of an amp for planers, but the low end will start to break up and distort if the amp cannot handle the load of the drivers. I owned the Asgard 2, Gustard H10, and a Bottle head Crack with speedball all at the same time and the only one that could handle all my headphones (T50RPs, my HD700, and my DT990) was the Gustard. The Crack was terrible with the planers, it couldn't do it at all, and the Asgard could handle them, but not as well as the Gustard.

Aug 29, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 24
That's why you don't understand my recommendation. Planar drivers demand more power than dynamics do. You can get all the volume you want out of an amp for planers, but the low end will start to break up and distort if the amp cannot handle the load of the drivers. I owned the , Gustard H10, and a Bottle head Crack with speedball all at the same time and the only one that could handle all my headphones (T50RPs, my HD700, and my DT990) was the Gustard. The Crack was terrible with the planers, it couldn't do it at all, and the Asgard could handle them, but not as well as the Gustard.

Apparently, the OP has no issues with his Asgard 2 and is looking for a higher performance envelope. The H10 isn't it. I suggested a V200, as it does offer a true upgrade, sonically.

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #11 of 24
That's why you don't understand my recommendation. Planar drivers demand more power than dynamics do. You can get all the volume you want out of an amp for planers, but the low end will start to break up and distort if the amp cannot handle the load of the drivers. I owned the , Gustard H10, and a Bottle head Crack with speedball all at the same time and the only one that could handle all my headphones (T50RPs, my HD700, and my DT990) was the Gustard. The Crack was terrible with the planers, it couldn't do it at all, and the Asgard could handle them, but not as well as the Gustard.

Apparently, the OP has no issues with his Asgard 2 and is looking for a higher performance envelope. The H10 isn't it. I suggested a V200, as it does offer a true upgrade, sonically.

Ok, I just have a question. Why are you selling your V200 and keeping the Meier Corda Concerto, but aren't recommending the Concerto that can be had at a lower cost than a V200. It's curious..

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #12 of 24
Ok, I just have a question. Why are you selling your V200 and keeping the Meier Corda Concerto, but aren't recommending the Concerto that can be had at a lower cost than a V200. It's curious..

I've had the V200 for a time and mostly use my tube amps, so it's for sale. Actually, the deal is almost done. I'm keeping the Concerto, because I really like it with my turntable and it sounds great with DT880/600. As does the Vio, incidentally, albeit with a different tonal balance. I'm not recommending the Concerto, because the Vio is a better match. Just because I don't own these cans, it doesn't mean that I haven't had them in my system.

Aug 30, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #14 of 24
http://www.head-fi.org/t/735828/gustard-h10-high-current-discrete-class-a-output-stage-headphone-amplifier

Read that whole page of comments.

Actually, I have read almost the entire thread and posted in it, briefly, as well. I've also had the H10 in my system side-by-side with a V200. What, exactly, are you hoping to prove? Don't like the fact that I think the H10 is rather mediocre, that's life.

:confused:

Aug 30, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #15 of 24
I don't understand how you can promote a V200 and also say the H10 is mediocre when they're basically the same amp. I feel like there's a victim of the assumption that price=quality/performance here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back