Critical Listening Habits with Loudspeakers vs. Headphones
Oct 22, 2022 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

joefig44

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pretty nice sound system setup (see below), but I actually find that because it is located in my basement, I don't often find myself compelled to go sit down there and listen to music. Instead, it mainly is used for movie/tv enjoyment.
The sound system cannot be moved to a more common room (WAF).

While I've owned some good headphones and desk amps n the past (Meze Empyrean; Focal Clear; Noble custom IEMs), I've found that again practicality rears it's head in that I found I didn't just sit and listen to music with them (i.e. always moving around).
So, these days my headfi consists of Sony WF-1000XM4 IEMs where I'm bluetoothing from my iphone and I use them a fair bit especially for exercise(jogging), and yard work and around the house.

However, I really love music and appreciate audio fidelity immensely in music, but I guess my critical listening habits are lacking. I'm usually doing something else when listening to music rather than just sitting there motionless appreciating it.

I guess where I'm going with this is two-fold: to find out if anyone else finds they prefer music via loud speakers over headphones; and also, if anyone else is in a similar situation as me and have any suggestions to enjoy critical listening to music more.

My speaker system:
Revel F328Be towers (with Revel C426Be center and in-ceiling/wall surrounds)
2x Power Sound Audio TV2112 subwoofers
Anthem Power Amps (STR, MCAs)
Trinnov Altitude 16 processor

Oct 22, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #2 of 6
For me speakers are always preferable. I live in a country where noise (even good noise) is socially unacceptable always and there are noise-abatement laws at certain times, so I listen via speakers duing the day but not at the volume level I would prefer or otherwise headphones.

Headphones demand too much attention for several reasons and I very rarely have time/inclination to sit and listen to an album on headphones while not doing anything else. So a compromise is to be on headfi while I have headphones on.

Oct 22, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 6
For me speakers are always preferable. I live in a country where noise (even good noise) is socially unacceptable always and there are noise-abatement laws at certain times, so I listen via speakers duing the day but not at the volume level I would prefer or otherwise headphones.

Headphones demand too much attention for several reasons and I very rarely have time/inclination to sit and listen to an album on headphones while not doing anything else. So a compromise is to be on headfi while I have headphones on.
What do you mean headphones demand too much attention?

I agree on the doing something else while listening - that's why I think the speakers in my main room upstairs are more important.
They are a pair of Sonos Play:5s but they don't compare whatsoever to my setup in the basement.

I was thinking of upgrading them to something like Monitor Audio Gold bookshelves.

Oct 23, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #4 of 6
I guess where I'm going with this is two-fold: to find out if anyone else finds they prefer music via loud speakers over headphones

I prefer music via loudspeakers, but
1. I had to move the speaker system to the bedroom (got cats, finally) and the acoustics suck
2. Looking for parking sucks, and now Uber is a thing, so I don't use the car system all that much either even though it's reasonably quiet even when not in traffic (ie Yokohama AVS dB)

I also prefer open back headphones to IEMs, but
1. Can't exactly use open back headphones in an Uber or a metro train or a library
2. I don't use it all the time at home either because if I'm working I'm gonna be typing, so even if I buy a second amp just to not have to move the amp to where my computer is, all that thud thud thud thud thud click is just gonna get in the way of the music

That said, some nights - especially when it's cold enough to not have to run the cooling high enough to just get in the way of the music - I'd sit down and listen to music. Just listen to music. Just with an open back headphone driven by an amp and taking a signal out of a DAP with a line out instead of my old speaker system.

and also, if anyone else is in a similar situation as me and have any suggestions to enjoy critical listening to music more.

I don't think this is about having suggestions. You just have to actually like music over other things, barring responsibilities like work or not having a baby or toddler choke on something.

I mean sure most nights I'd much rather play video games than listen to music but that's also because most nights the ambient noise is too high (ex too hot, so I switch on the A/C and an electric fan to blow the air across the room so now I have the compressor hum, the fan, and the air whooshing across the back of my headphones), but I look forward to cooler nights for example where I can just sit back and put my headphones on.

Oct 23, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #5 of 6
I prefer music via loudspeakers, but
1. I had to move the speaker system to the bedroom (got cats, finally) and the acoustics suck
2. Looking for parking sucks, and now Uber is a thing, so I don't use the car system all that much either even though it's reasonably quiet even when not in traffic (ie Yokohama AVS dB)

I also prefer open back headphones to IEMs, but
1. Can't exactly use open back headphones in an Uber or a metro train or a library
2. I don't use it all the time at home either because if I'm working I'm gonna be typing, so even if I buy a second amp just to not have to move the amp to where my computer is, all that thud thud thud thud thud click is just gonna get in the way of the music

That said, some nights - especially when it's cold enough to not have to run the cooling high enough to just get in the way of the music - I'd sit down and listen to music. Just listen to music. Just with an open back headphone driven by an amp and taking a signal out of a DAP with a line out instead of my old speaker system.

I don't think this is about having suggestions. You just have to actually like music over other things, barring responsibilities like work or not having a baby or toddler choke on something.

I mean sure most nights I'd much rather play video games than listen to music but that's also because most nights the ambient noise is too high (ex too hot, so I switch on the A/C and an electric fan to blow the air across the room so now I have the compressor hum, the fan, and the air whooshing across the back of my headphones), but I look forward to cooler nights for example where I can just sit back and put my headphones on.
Yeah, I guess it's all about compromises in everything including appreciating music quality to the max.

I shouldn't complain. I'll likely just stick with my current speaker system setup for critical listening rather than trying to upgrade speakers in the main room - I can just go there to do it.

Oct 24, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 6
What do you mean headphones demand too much attention?

Most of the headphones I have are very engaging and/or throw huge amount of detail at me. I have a hard time listening to headphones and doing anything else at the same time. Although I feel like my speakers (nothing special) slam better and have better transients at time and I certainly enjoy them more, I'm able to live normally and listen to music at the same time. I have only theories and no explanations.

I was thinking of upgrading them to something like Monitor Audio Gold bookshelves.

I have a pair of JBL Control 5 monitors on stands in a tertiary system. They're great expect that they have no impact since the "big" driver isn't big enough to provide any impactful bass.

Can't exactly use open back headphones in an Uber or a metro train or a library

I fly a fair amount so I use Shures since they seal well. There is so much pink noise on planes I don't think I'd get anything out of an amazing pair of IEMs :frowning2:

And you have to have the time to sit through an album, and my schedule generally doesn't allow it anymore except maybe one day a week. But on those days I still prefer speakers by a large margin. So my headphone time is basically only during noise-abatement hours here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back