"Crisp" headphone?
Feb 7, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #16 of 27
They sure are bright - but don't have what I'd call much in the way of "soundstage". Sure, there's great L/R separation and imaging, but it's more akin to "headstage" - fairly intimate. 

Mightygrey

Which ones?

Feb 7, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #17 of 27
Wow! Quite a read. Deserves a few reads in fact. Great info, as I admittedly do not know too much about headphones. I guess it takes time, and a good amount of experimenting. That comes with hours spent on them, reading good posts like this, and going through a bunch of 'phones.

I don't think I have a hearing problem. It is just a matter of getting used to an admittedly different experience than home audio. Maybe I just have to manage my expectations a bit better. After all, I don't see this as a problem I am trying to tackle. Just in my sub conscience I know I am missing something, although it might be just a (wrong) perception.

And no, I don't have a high end home audio system. ELAC Uni-fi UB5 speakers, SVS SB12 subwoofer, and Rotel integrated with Oppo 203 and Bluesound Node 2 as players. That is for my 2.1 channel system, as I also have a separate HT system, with Axiom speakers, REL sub, 5.1.2 Atmos and Samsung 65" KS8500 4K tv. Yes, I have been tweaking my home audio for many years now, and I know exactly what I like and dislike, while I am just getting started with headphones, mostly by necessity (family and all) rather than desire.

Thanks again!
You might have a look at the Koss ESP-950's or some Stax's electrostats. They will give you the sound of what you're looking for from what I can tell but not the bass of a subwoofer .

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #18 of 27
Everything between the SR-80 right up to the RS-1. The GS1000/2000 + PS1000 have more in the way of soundstage however (as well as more $$!!).

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #19 of 27
Just thought about it crisp headphone HD-700 the most maligned and least deserved of the title . Good headphone with great soundstage and detail and pretty good bass.

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #20 of 27
say "crisp" headphone and grado immediately comes to mind. the gs1000e provides a spacious presentation compared to the lower tiered models, and it's an over-ear which is also lightweight. what's the op's budget?

Feb 7, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #21 of 27
say "crisp" headphone and grado immediately comes to mind. the gs1000e provides a spacious presentation compared to the lower tiered models, and it's an over-ear which is also lightweight. what's the op's budget?

Flexible. Sub $1K, but the cheaper the better :wink:

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:31 AM Post #22 of 27
the gs1000e goes for a little under $1k usd. there are cheaper grado models of course, but they sit on the ear so they aren't as comfortable, and have an intimate presentation. not much of a "soundstage" to speak of with those.

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #23 of 27
Just to throw in my 2 cents, I would recommend the AKG K812s (open back) or the K872s (if you prefer closed backs). I really enjoy the open soundstage on the K812s and, while they sound a bit clinical as they're meant for studio production not audiophile listening, on a good amp they really shine and do provide the "crisp" treble as well as an incredible amount of separation between instruments.

Best of luck with your decision!

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #24 of 27
Update (OP here):

I bought the Beyerdynamic T90 from a fellow head-fi'er. Gotta say, sound great for the price. Exactly what I am looking for in terms of highs and "crisp". Very detailed and decent soundstage. A little "thin" and not bass heavy, but definitely a keeper. Can't go wrong for the price.

Having said this, I had a chance to listen to a bunch of headphones courtesy of some very, very nice folks locally who put together a mini meet up last Saturday, and the HD 800 blew me away! Definitely my favorite. I am getting them soon, as soon as I spot a good deal.

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #25 of 27
Update (OP here):

I bought the Beyerdynamic T90 from a fellow head-fi'er. Gotta say, sound great for the price. Exactly what I am looking for in terms of highs and "crisp". Very detailed and decent soundstage. A little "thin" and not bass heavy, but definitely a keeper. Can't go wrong for the price.

Having said this, I had a chance to listen to a bunch of headphones courtesy of some very, very nice folks locally who put together a mini meet up last Saturday, and the HD 800 blew me away! Definitely my favorite. I am getting them soon, as soon as I spot a good deal.
The 800's are the king of soundstage and detail for sure but are amp dependent. If you don't have a amp to run them you might be disappointed. They need a certain amp for them.

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #26 of 27
The 800's are the king of soundstage and detail for sure but are amp dependent. If you don't have a amp to run them you might be disappointed. They need a certain amp for them.

Thanks.

For now, this is what I have:

1 - Schiit Asgard 2 (paired with Bifrost DAC)

2 - TEAC UD-503

They should be OK with HD 800 (or so I have heard). They certainly work well with my T90, which is not as easy to drive (although not to the extent of the power hungry HD 800).

The good thing is these are bought used, and can probably sell / replace at a little loss.

Feb 19, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #27 of 27
Another update (OP):

Got the HD 800 (with SDR mod). They sound great! I think I am all set with headphones. A little bit more tweaking left on the Amp section. Bifrost is good as DAC, planning to upgrade to Multibit. Asgard 2, not so much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back